• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Plea for an annual ladder
04-21-2008, 09:00 AM,
RE: Plea for an annual ladder
Yeah , but it doesn't give a target date to fight towards.....that's what it seems to me is worth trying. If we had monthly updates on how the scoring is going we might a real sense of a race.....?
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2008, 09:11 AM,
set your target date to be May 1st, 2009

Start a thread for joining the annual ladder race that includes Established rules
Establish a prize or medal perhaps even a contest for a prize medal drawing and submit it for uploading prior to May 1st 2009

Then one of the participants can simply check/sort the ladder every 1st of the month and copy and paste the top 10 positions

game your patoozies off...

Winner gets announced, medal awarded, next years contest starts.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
04-21-2008, 10:01 AM,
RD, that would be a feasible workaround - you could even skip the signups and start it effective Jan 1 2008.

But it seems to me like the only technical stuff we would need is a "2008 YTD" filter, which would make it seem more official.

DK also asked that the ladder change that to the "default view" - which seems like a harder sell and would have to be a club-wide change.
04-21-2008, 10:06 AM,
Good idea Randy. Wouldn't be too much work. Would be an excellent way to trial it and, if it does generate a bit of excitement, then perhaps we could have a ladder-view amendment.

This thread is DK's baby so interested to hear his views.

I would be willing to do a thread and give periodic updates and analysis (as would others I am sure).
04-21-2008, 10:14 AM,
having a filter added and changing the defaults would require a dose of programming that we're a bit ill equipped to handle for an unspecified amount of time yet.

hence my suggestion to start may 1st as then you could sort from that point forward easily with a few clicks.

perhaps you could have artie make a sortable section for you using the data you copy over to his site from the Blitz easier as I believe his programing is open ended and he probably has an ability to add a new feature right in as opposed to our hard coded programming.

any thing's possible, all you need is someone to make the time.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
04-21-2008, 01:01 PM,
Randy's idea is a start and can be implemented easily - but I definitely think awards should be given permanently on the player's member page. For instance, it would be nice to check a member's page and say - "Oh, he was Ladder leader in 2007" or "he was 2008 ELO champ." That's why I think the "season" should always start the first of the year. Awards could be given retro back to the clubs inception based on year couldn't it? I mean, all the games are in there and the dates they were reported. We have all the stats for 2008 already - there just needs to be a way to show a ladder that goes back to Jan 1st. And why just one award? A gold cup icon could be given for first place, silver for second, bronze for third, and so forth, with the year on it. Or you could have a total ladder star winner, major ladder star, tactical star, minor star, all with the year printed on them, given out to the top five finishers each year.

If it would be possible to make an annual ladder the default view I think it would send clear message that this game is for this year and all players, new and old.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
04-21-2008, 01:22 PM,
Well, I just checked and using the current filters doesnt change the ELO scores.

So to have a yearly ELO award, we would have to have some new settings.

I do write software for a living, and wouldnt mind trying to help with something like this.
04-21-2008, 11:23 PM,
As for a default setting of the ladder display, I suggest polling the entire club in the general topics forum. This is a club wide effect, and not something limited to any 1 community. If there is enough interest, then we can look into what it takes to make it happen, as long as it is within our limitations, then it is possible.

Also, retro-ing the yearly awards back several years could be a nightmare and consume resources we just don't have available.
It would also be easier and more manageable going from this point forward, as opposed to trying to sum data from Jan 1.
04-22-2008, 01:30 AM,
Maybe instead of the default ladder setting, which would affect the entire club, there could be a separate link somewhere directly to the annual ladder? Maybe it could even be on the CM message board somewhere so as to not take up extra screen real estate on a multi-ladder page?
05-02-2008, 02:10 PM,
Colonel Talvela Wrote:I do write software for a living, and wouldnt mind trying to help with something like this.

does that mean blitz leadership is not interested in my offer to help?

:hissy::hissy: