• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Plea for an annual ladder
05-03-2008, 01:50 AM,
RE: Plea for an annual ladder
I think SG stated that we just can't do it at this time.

But he has also stated that you could do it with the tools at hand and medals could be awarded.

Not perfect, but better than nothing.

I am really just trying to toss out ideas for you guys.

Thanx!

Hawk
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2008, 01:55 AM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:I think SG stated that we just can't do it at this time.

i guess i missed that post from SG. Is it in this thread? the only thing I saw was this from Randy

RD Wrote:having a filter added and changing the defaults would require a dose of programming that we're a bit ill equipped to handle for an unspecified amount of time yet.

That led me to believe that the hold up was a lack of available programmers, which is why I volunteered to fill that gap.
05-03-2008, 01:58 AM,
Colonel Talvela Wrote:i guess i missed that post from SG. Is it in this thread? the only thing

Well I get to look like an idiot. :rolleyes:

I screwed up. Disregard my comments.

Sorry about that.

Thanx!

Hawk
05-03-2008, 02:00 AM,
Well, officially, ELO is not a primary stat for a reason, it had to be fudged to make it work for wargames. There are threads in the archive that discuss the work arounds and limitations that had to be used when this stat was taken from the chess world to ours, and for that reason, it is not, and never will be, a prime stat on the ladders. It's just not accurate enough. It's a nice to have, or a luxury stat if you prefer.

Having said that, all of the existing prime stats are sortable so that you can run an annual ladder by using the filters, and I'm sure if you coordinate with the Ladder Commander before hand, he may even be willing to support such annual competitions with bonus points and/or medals. But annual ladders will not become the default views by the Blitz as we prefer the all time view (not many Clubs have our 8+ years of history and the current view helps portray that storied past), but have given you the players the tools necessary to view it as you personally prefer with a few mouse clicks.

Regards.
05-03-2008, 02:24 AM,
Steel God Wrote:Well, officially, ELO is not a primary stat for a reason, it had to be fudged to make it work for wargames. There are threads in the archive that discuss the work arounds and limitations that had to be used when this stat was taken from the chess world to ours, and for that reason, it is not, and never will be, a prime stat on the ladders. It's just not accurate enough. It's a nice to have, or a luxury stat if you prefer.

Having said that, all of the existing prime stats are sortable so that you can run an annual ladder by using the filters, and I'm sure if you coordinate with the Ladder Commander before hand, he may even be willing to support such annual competitions with bonus points and/or medals. But annual ladders will not become the default views by the Blitz as we prefer the all time view (not many Clubs have our 8+ years of history and the current view helps portray that storied past), but have given you the players the tools necessary to view it as you personally prefer with a few mouse clicks.

Regards.

I remember back in the day when Umbro used to kick my ass at CS, he manufactured the ELO system and got it running... took a lot of time and effort for him to do that.

ELO is definately flawed, but like democracy, is perhaps the best thing going. Scenarios can unbalance the rankings, but I do not see one person in the top 20 ELO that does not deserve to be there... these are the best of the best... evidence that flawed or not, the ELO system is a good proxy for ranking skills and capacity.

That being said, what if we went to a win percentage ladder that ran yearly then. It is also flawed as well, as top players may only play new players or less capable players and really shine... but I guess that's all part of the race I would suppose? Also, win % doesn't crowd out the guys like me who are 12 hour a day job guys and don't have the time to manage 10 games at a time.

I'd volunteer to help put this together though, and make the requisite posts, awards, battle summaries and top leaders bios, etc. and even montly prizes, etc... I don't think you would have to make any changes to the ladder system for this to be done...

Cheers!

Leto
05-03-2008, 02:37 AM,
You're free to debate the pros and cons of any and all possible systems for as long as you like (within the rules of the forums of course), but I did not post on this thread to join in that debate.

I posted because someone (Colonel T if memory serves) asked for an official position, or statement, etc.

That official response was provided in post 34 of this thread.
05-03-2008, 04:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2008, 04:28 AM by Colonel Talvela.)
Steel God Wrote:That official response was provided in post 34 of this thread.

"annual ladders will not become the default views by the Blitz as we prefer the all time view (not many Clubs have our 8+ years of history and the current view helps portray that storied past), "

What is the official position on keeping the all-time ladder the default view, but adding some filters and/or links to create a 2007 Ladder, 2008 Ladder, 2009 Ladder?

Can we (as in me) poll the other forums to see if something like this would be wanted as opposed to just having the 12-month filter. I assume you dont care about a poll, but if the poll came back were a large majority wanted to add some yearly filters, would the leadership then consider it.
05-03-2008, 04:50 AM,
I make no promises Dave, but will always consider things in a new light if new information is available.
05-03-2008, 04:53 AM,
Bootie Wrote:... I think time is an issue. We dont have time to run it.if you can find a way to record a monthly ladder then I'd be happy to let you have license with it and award a medal yearly.

I have the time and would like to help but no real programming knowledge - I can be someone's assistant if shown what to do and do grunt work if needed...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
05-03-2008, 05:11 AM,
Steel God Wrote:I make no promises Dave, but will always consider things in a new light if new information is available.

That is all I was asking.

And I personally dont care to change the default view. But in the filter section where it says 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, I would love to see added 2007 Results, 2008 Results, etc etc etc.

I will setup the poll

Thanks
cheers