• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

So , did you ever win a game that you felt bad about afterwards?
04-18-2008, 11:46 PM,
RE: So , did you ever win a game that you felt bad about afterwards?
If people were actually losing something tangible and important I would feel bad, but it is only a game. All of our "permanent" game results are only here as long as the owners desire them to be. When you lose a game it stings, but nothing is really lost save a little ego, and perhaps the realization that life isn't always fair, which is good for all of us.

I try to take personal responsibility for all of my losses - no matter what. Looking back I find they were all a result of my own lack of preparation. Either I didn't know the rules well enough, the units well enough, the tactical situation well enough, the scenario well enough, or the player well enough. If someone is lazy about understanding these things and thus less prepared than I am, then they deserve to lose.
(that's Eastern Front thinking - lol)
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2008, 12:40 AM,
B
Der Kuenstler Wrote:If people were actually losing something tangible and important I would feel bad, but it is only a game. All of our "permanent" game results are only here as long as the owners desire them to be. When you lose a game it stings, but nothing is really lost save a little ego, and perhaps the realization that life isn't always fair, which is good for all of us.

I try to take personal responsibility for all of my losses - no matter what. Looking back I find they were all a result of my own lack of preparation. Either I didn't know the rules well enough, the units well enough, the tactical situation well enough, the scenario well enough, or the player well enough. If someone is lazy about understanding these things and thus less prepared than I am, then they deserve to lose.
(that's Eastern Front thinking - lol)

I agree completely with that. We all like to say "luck is a lady, and that lady can be a byotch... but at the end of the day, luck only plays a small part of a match (although, like all random probability, you somedays will have to put up with a great deal of bad things happening to you on low probability risks... but that should build character).

This is especially so in QB's... you will some times need to take risks, and sometimes they will pay off, sometimes, they won't.

For example, I once played an opponent in a soviet defend, axis attack in 1941 and bought a whole boatload of Italian light tanks because I wanted to see how well they could advance in a swarm and overrun the Soviet defenders who I thought would be mostly infantry and SMG. I completely dominated the game and won. I'm sure the opponent thought my kit picks were tricksy, but I saw a tactical advantage, took it and used it to win. Not my fault my opponent only bought a few light guns.

Cheers!

Leto
04-19-2008, 12:55 AM,
Well the original thought behind the thread was thinking about a game that you felt bad about winning over another member who got the wrong end of the stick deal.

Some of us may show compassion and remorse over the plight of others who didn't quite have a sporting chance. :)

I prefer a sporting challenge, I walk the woods during deer season, not hide in a tree over a path spiked with apples and salt licks. If I get a kill, I know the animal had all the chances in the world to prevent it and weirdly enough the meat tastes better Big Grin
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
04-19-2008, 12:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2008, 01:00 AM by British Tommy.)
LOL! I remember reading about that Leto (and the screen shots). Good example of massed light armour units doing the job and doing it well :)
Mind you, I'm sure your opponent (CT??) would agree! Big Grin
04-19-2008, 01:00 AM,
A sporting chance would be letting the deer have a gun, too. :)
04-19-2008, 01:05 AM,
The Coil Wrote:A sporting chance would be letting the deer have a gun, too. :)

.....whilst wearing hobnailed boots and an eye patch and only using a pointy stick! Big Grin
04-19-2008, 01:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2008, 01:41 AM by Colonel Talvela.)
RE: B
!Hot-air!Leto Wrote:For example, I once played an opponent in a soviet defend, axis attack in 1941 and bought a whole boatload of Italian light tanks because I wanted to see how well they could advance in a swarm and overrun the Soviet defenders who I thought would be mostly infantry and SMG. I completely dominated the game and won. I'm sure the opponent thought my kit picks were tricksy, but I saw a tactical advantage, took it and used it to win. Not my fault my opponent only bought a few light guns.

That unlucky bastage
04-19-2008, 01:38 AM,
The Coil Wrote:A sporting chance would be letting the deer have a gun, too. :)

As yes, but that would not be a sporting chance, but a balanced effort.. when deer learn to carry and use arms then I shall prolly change my outlook on the whole hunting sport :)

As for sporting chance, he's in his element and I'm making a lot of noise gives him a lot more chances than not.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
04-19-2008, 04:13 AM,
You should probably go tell the deer that hunting season has started, tho. Maybe they think you are bringing apples and salt licks, lol.

Just kidding, tho. Here in Alaska, some find it sporting to shoot sheep from the air. We've even had a couple of moose taken down by air force jet fighter pilots (in their jets).
04-19-2008, 04:18 AM,
Shoot 'em and cook 'em all at once, eh?