• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

So , did you ever win a game that you felt bad about afterwards?
04-14-2008, 09:23 AM,
So , did you ever win a game that you felt bad about afterwards?
Have you ever had that feeling when you really wasted the poor bastage across the map that is was a total mismatch either of skill or equipment?

I remember a match once against he who won't be named, where I took the Russian side in a defend battle. I took numerous ATGs and ATRs as well as a few of those overpowered 25mm AA guns, couple of captured PzRIVs and some su122s. A couple of COYs of troops to support it all
My opponent brought 4 King tigers, a couple of 150mm Sps and some marders as well as the usual compliment of troops.. needles to say I thought this is going to be a slaughter and was ready to simply surrender after a few turns.
He convinced me to take my whipping like a man, so I put my thinking cap on and went after him. End of the game came when his 4th KT went down under a flurry of AA, ATG and ATR fire..
A very sad day for da Romanian dictator, I didn't have a chance and should of never won that game. I really did feel bad for the chap as I wanted him to do some site work the very next day. Big Grin

Cheers for being a good sporting target Raz :P
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2008, 09:35 AM,
RE: So , did you ever win a game that you felt bad about afterwards?
The very first game I ever played of CMBB.....early war Russians defending a town against German attackers. Bear in mind I was used to CMBO infantry and had never played a town fight....I didn't realise how hard it would be for the attacker.

Anyways, I took lots of infantry, backed up by about 25 T-26s and 76mm infantry guns. I figured that was pretty tame and that the German could easily chew up my armour and make a good fight of it.

Unfortunately the German player took even lighter forces than I did....infantry in Sd251/1s, backed by 20mm armoured cars. That could actually have been bad for my T26s except that he led with them, even driving through patches of scattered trees infested with Russian infantry, pattering molotov cocktails off the hulls like rain.....lol, we really did know nothing about how CMBB worked.

His infantry got dropped off in the streets by the halftracks, tried to run inside, and basically got instantly shot down by troops in heavy buildings. It was an absolute massacre.

Always felt bad about that!
04-14-2008, 03:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2008, 04:55 AM by Zemke.)
Yep a long time ago I played this guy in an attack / defend battle, (my favorite type) . I don't think he had ever really defended before, as he was used to playing QBs all the time. Anyway I was the Russians and he the Germans. It was a fairly large battle 3000pts Assault. I took a fairly mixed force, a little heavy on Infantry and all the artillery I could buy. I basically used "pre-planned" "timed" indirect fire (152mm, 160mm, 122mm) and blasted a route from his left flank to each OBJ. He had bought lots of infantry and AT guns, (as expected) but he defended right on the flags, which I also had targeted. Anyway my Russian Infantry overran some very stunned and demoralized Germans and won a Major victory. He never played me again, even after I offer to switch sides. I felt bad after that.
04-14-2008, 03:30 PM,
Oh and I have felt bad for some players who have agreed to play a TCIP game with time limits who have never done so and are used to micro-manging their forces during a PBEM game. They start typing in chat how this sucks or I ran out of time. Been a long time sense I played a TCIP game with short time limits. Spears was always good at it.
04-15-2008, 12:41 AM,
Good to see you posting this type of stuff again RD :)

At the moment I'm feeling very guilty playing a scenario (wont name it here) where I have vet Stugs and an elite Stug pitted against green and conscript BT tanks (there are infantry but it's the armour I'm feeling guilty about!). Every turn there's more destroyed BT tanks with the Stugs rolling forward and the BT falling back in panic :(
I have offered to call a halt to the game as it's so one sided :boom1:
04-15-2008, 12:46 AM,
JDSU and I have had a few ultra-unbalanced scenarios, but we still posted the results. I dont think either of us felt bad because the person that got trashed was always the person that picked the scenario. He just picked a scenario that we are going to play, so hopefully the trend continues

zemke - agree that Spears is an excellent TCPIP player. Matteponk & Graves Registration are as well.
04-15-2008, 12:58 AM,
Colonel Talvela Wrote:JDSU and I have had a few ultra-unbalanced scenarios, but we still posted the results. I dont think either of us felt bad because the person that got trashed was always the person that picked the scenario. He just picked a scenario that we are going to play, so hopefully the trend continues

zemke - agree that Spears is an excellent TCPIP player. Matteponk & Graves Registration are as well.

Matteponk is an excellent player. Perhaps one of the best ever. I am playing him now.

Cheers!

Leto
04-15-2008, 01:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2008, 01:03 AM by Colonel Talvela.)
[hirr Wrote:Leto]
Matteponk is an excellent player. Perhaps one of the best ever. I am playing him now.

Matteponk is in my "top 5 players I have ever played" category. But he also is a great tcp/ip player, which zemke loves - but I personally im not very good like that.
04-15-2008, 01:06 AM,
Colonel Talvela Wrote:
[hirr Wrote:Leto]

Matteponk is in my "top 5 players I have ever played" category. But he also is a great tcp/ip player, which zemke loves - but I personally im not very good like that.

He's in my top 5 as well. Great guy. Real sportsman. Great sense of humor...

Top Players if you ever get the chance play these guys and you will most likely get a lopsided loss, but a great learning experience:

1) McIvan
2) Matteponk
3) Colonel T
4) St. Ruth
5) Peek

Cheers!

Leto
04-15-2008, 01:25 AM,
Yes, usually if I chose the scenario or operation and it turned out for one reason or another to be unbalanced, or, if I beat an opponent very early in a game due to choice of weapons or use of terrain, e.g. I bought captured PzVs as Russian one time, found a hilltop and destroyed the opponent by turn five - the opponent was not happy so we dumped the game.

Normally I will offer to dump the game, restart, or not record the result if I don't think it has been fair or the opponent complains.

Sometimes I lose a game that I feel I may have been set up for, i.e. didn't pay attention to the set up parameters, year, time or terrain choices and ended up at a severe disadvantage - shame on me for not paying more attention but I will play anyone who challenges me and sometimes will agree to challenging terms just to see if I can win against them... it is, after all, a game, and if I have fun trying to win against the odds then that is my right. I don't worry too much about win/loss, ELO... I like playing the game and I like every one of my COM comrades in [virtual] arms.