• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

So , did you ever win a game that you felt bad about afterwards?
04-15-2008, 02:22 AM,
RE: So , did you ever win a game that you felt bad about afterwards?
I do not think that I have crushed anyone too badly in my career to feel remorse about it. It might be that when I was just getting my feet wet with the game that I was road hard and put away wet a few times. I feel that as long as the had a chance in the game to win then all is fair. After a couple unbalanced games I have gotten better at seeing where some lop-sided battles can occur and have tried to avoid them when possible. I have had a few restarts as well, just because I could see that things were not going to go well. I am with you on the ladder stuff herroberst, I just don't care enough to really give to much of a rip about it. I report the games, but am more interested in having fun and overcomming challenges. A little banter and a chuckle are way more important then my win/loss record.
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2008, 02:31 AM,
I did have this experience, in a game against [hirr]Leto. We were playing CMAK, an early desert war QB ME with Leto taking British and me with Italians. I'd bought a battery's worth of the Italian 75mm Modello 34 AA gun, a truly fearsome weapon in 1940, nearly as powerful as an 88. Leto had a number of Matildas and Cruisers.

Because of the open nature of the map it turned out that Pete's setup area was within LOS of most of my guns so on the very first turn the 75s did a lot of firing and his tanks did a lot of blowing up, most before they'd even turned their engines over.
04-15-2008, 02:57 AM,
Now that I think about it, played sword of bagration scenario against Leto and he surrendered pretty early after he ran into a AT-gun screen. But he probably shouldnt have.

Always felt somewhat bad for posting that result - but I am a ladder whore and wanted those ELO points!!!!!
04-15-2008, 04:24 AM,
Colonel Talvela Wrote:Now that I think about it, played sword of bagration scenario against Leto and he surrendered pretty early after he ran into a AT-gun screen. But he probably shouldnt have.

Always felt somewhat bad for posting that result - but I am a ladder whore and wanted those ELO points!!!!!

Pretty balanced scenario imo. I think the results are fairly even, though I think there may be more than one sword of bagration scenario.
04-15-2008, 04:49 AM,
seriously... I can't believe anyone feels bad about beating Leto :P
I know he never feels bad about handing your arse to you.. LOL
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
04-16-2008, 02:11 AM,
Colonel Talvela Wrote:Now that I think about it, played sword of bagration scenario against Leto and he surrendered pretty early after he ran into a AT-gun screen. But he probably shouldnt have.

No worries M8... I'll hopefully be posting on this thread about the Cage Matches™* soon. As for the ELO points, you need all you can get as we all know, you can't spell ELO, without LETO.

; )

*LETO BRAND DAR CAGE MATCHES COMING TO A DAR THREAD NEAR YOU SOON!

Cheers!

Leto
04-16-2008, 07:13 AM,
herroberst Wrote:Yes, usually if I chose the scenario or operation and it turned out for one reason or another to be unbalanced, or, if I beat an opponent very early in a game due to choice of weapons or use of terrain, e.g. I bought captured PzVs as Russian one time, found a hilltop and destroyed the opponent by turn five - the opponent was not happy so we dumped the game.

I seem to remember playing Vic in a scenario to be avoided called "A Simple Plan, Comrade", in which Vic's reinforcements were dumped halfway up the left flank (ie well out of the German deployment zone) right in front of my tank destroyers.

It would have been great for the Germans if the Russkies were doing an attack down the left or a general advance, but I was doing a right flank attack because there was a riverbank on that side that my infantry could use as cover.

Either way, it made the whole scenario into a gimmick, so that was one we never recorded. Mistakes by your opponent is one thing, being set up by the scenario is another.
04-17-2008, 10:29 AM,
YES!......Lot's against Randy.....poor bastard, I feel REALLY sorry for him. LMGDAO. :stir:
"I keep a flask of whiskey in my left pocket in case of snake bite....and I keep a small snake in my right pocket" W.C. Fields
04-18-2008, 10:52 PM,
I had a game hotseat with a friend. He was german, iirc, and I german. There was a deep valley between two hills where the flags were. His armor wiped out my own armor and HTs in the initial stages of the battle. I was distraught and we discussed quitting the game because it seemed I had very little chance. But I decided to play on, with my one Zis-3 and infantry versus his entire force. Once the gun got into position, it began taking out everything.

I won a minor or tactical victory, and what made me feel bad was all the whining I had done while his tanks were destroying my own armor.
04-18-2008, 11:16 PM,
There have been a few games where I've thought, 'what on earth is he doing?!!' as my opp has 'marched' his men across open ground to wards what I thought were known infantry and MG positions of mine, but those are tactical errors, and any commander worth his salt isn't going to turn down those type of advantages.

As such there haven't been that many games where I've actually felt sorry for my opp. Those where I have, have either been on those few occassions where we've agreed to let the AI choose the units, and the net result has been distinctly unbalanced, (albeit it possibly more historically correct); or have been down to 'jammy' hit results, e.g. scoring 1st shot kills with a low probability snapshot at fast moving targets, or stray rounds from arty taking out vital units that I didn't even know where there, (see Jobu's post here as an example, https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=44894).