• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sound Issue
09-25-2009, 09:45 AM,
RE: Sound Issue
Recenty just added some more HPS games to my library last week. The new games listed below:

Smolesk 41
Kharkov 42
Minsk 44
North German Plain 85
Danube Front 85

None of these have the sound issue I was referring to earlier in the thread regarding my first two HPS games; Tobruk 41 and Kursk 43.

The new games work superbly regarding sound.

I still however, have those sound issues with Tobruk 41 and Kurst 43 even after uninstalling and reinstalling these two said games.

Could I possibly have gotten some corrupt sound files or dll files with those first two games? Just throwing this out there for ideas. I don't understand how two games cannot work properly regarding the sound and my newly acquired ones can.

I'm wondering if I can get some new sound files from HPS and just overwrite them into the Kursk 43 and Tobruk 41 programs to see if it actually fixes the problem.

Again, just throwing this out there for ideas.

Cheers.
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2009, 03:29 PM,
I can say that the sound problem is not confined to the titles of T41 and K43. On the other hand, I never had the sound loop problem in those titles.

If you want to test for a corrupt sound file, just copy the same sound file from one of your other titles with the same name. I doubt that will solve the problem as it is more of an intermittent bug issue.

What happened whenyou contacted HPS support as mentioned further up the thread?

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
09-25-2009, 10:05 PM,
>I don't think I miss anything other than hearing air recon go over...

You can train your ears to hear all sorts of things...such as the difference between 105s, 155s, nebelwefers - and this can indicate where to air recon if you know the range of the artillery...there are uses but I will teach them to opponents on the field of honor :smoke:

Some thoughts:

1. if you are replaying anything with accelerated speed many wierd things may happen with artillery; I usually make sure that the speed is normal before I start the replay and then accelerate after the replay has started.

2. I hope this does not offend, but anytime wierd things start to happen in proximty to air strikes or artillery during a PBEM replay, it raises my antennas that my opponent maybe running more than one version of the game simultaneously or something else maybe going on.

I was once playing B'44 with an opponent, and during first several days of moves all of his replays were corrupted and incomplete. It turned out that he was running the game 2 times on his computer - one version was open simply to see the marsh hexes so he could avoid them while he was actually moving on the other open running version. When he stopped that, the replays worked just fine.

Marquo
09-26-2009, 02:23 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:What happened whenyou contacted HPS support as mentioned further up the thread?

I forget exactly but the gentleman basically said he had no clue as to why this might be happening. They really couldn't help me. Back then, I figured okay, I'll just play with sound off and listen to music while playing. So I have been playing with sound off.

Now, as mentioned, bought a bunch more games last week, found out the sound worked on them flawlessly and so I figured to bring this up again to see if any new ideas come up.

I'm not a computer programmer so I'm obviously making assumptions, probably way off base but I just got to figure some stupid little file is corrupt or something. If it works with these other titles, what changed from those older titles?
09-26-2009, 02:30 AM,
Marquo Wrote:1. if you are replaying anything with accelerated speed many wierd things may happen with artillery; I usually make sure that the speed is normal before I start the replay and then accelerate after the replay has started.

Not a problem for me. This happens during normal play.

Marquo Wrote:2. I hope this does not offend, but anytime wierd things start to happen in proximty to air strikes or artillery during a PBEM replay, it raises my antennas that my opponent maybe running more than one version of the game simultaneously or something else maybe going on.

I actually just started my first PBEM last week. Been playing single player up to then. No offense taken.

Marquo Wrote:I was once playing B'44 with an opponent, and during first several days of moves all of his replays were corrupted and incomplete. It turned out that he was running the game 2 times on his computer - one version was open simply to see the marsh hexes so he could avoid them while he was actually moving on the other open running version. When he stopped that, the replays worked just fine.

Marquo

Only running these games on one computer and been playing single play up to last week. Sorry to hear about that. I guess I better watch out for cheaters then. It does amaze me at times what some people will do for victory in a game.
09-26-2009, 12:46 PM,
>Only running these games on one computer and been playing single >play up to last week.

The point is that one can run several instances of the game on one and the same computer simultaneously, and this tends to corrupt the replay files. Not necessarily cheating, but confusing to for the replay.

MarquoEek