• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MC/PC.. A plea for map addition
04-11-2008, 06:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2008, 06:42 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
RE: MC/PC.. A plea for map addition
Lawrence:

A map for a PzC, depending upon the size and complexity, can take upwards to a hundred hours or more to make. When they are made we include details we see on the source map. There are cases when the map maker has or can see detail that he wants to include to enhance the map.

Many of the game designer notes contain pieces of the source map and how it compares to the game map - in some case how it looks in Google Earth today.

We feel our maps are as accurate as any that are available and created from period map of an appropriate scale. If you feel they are missing some piece of info you would like to see on a label, than you have the SubMap editor and can do what you like with it.

Glenn
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2008, 08:14 AM,
Yes, I realize that I will be able to add this, never mind that the other players of the game may very well not know what the hell we're talking about as their maps may not have it.

The point I have is that highways in these games are critical. In a game like NGP or D'85 there are only a handful of major highways so its not like we're talking about adding a few hours on.

I also can make the same point about moutain tops and hilltops.

I was just seeing if they could be added in the future and now I know they won't.

No futher elaboration is needed.
04-11-2008, 11:06 AM,
HirooOnoda Wrote:Yes, I realize that I will be able to add this, never mind that the other players of the game may very well not know what the hell we're talking about as their maps may not have it.
Share your work and they will.

Quote:critical
Critical? You find it impossible to play the game with out knowing which road you're driving down?
04-11-2008, 11:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2008, 11:42 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
JonS1 Wrote:
Critical? You find it impossible to play the game with out knowing which road you're driving down?

Right - if there is any CRITICAL info required on a map that is't there, then we can always look at that and consider adding it.

Glenn
Send this user an email
04-11-2008, 03:41 PM,
JonS1 Wrote:
HirooOnoda Wrote:Yes, I realize that I will be able to add this, never mind that the other players of the game may very well not know what the hell we're talking about as their maps may not have it.
Share your work and they will.

Obviously, you've never played a team game where you had to describe a road by all the cities it conects to.

To say,"Attack down Hwy 1 till you reach Koln" would simplify the entire process.

I never said it was impossible to play the game w/o said information, just that it would help the game and actually add historical flavor to the game.
04-11-2008, 03:50 PM,
You said 'critical'. Twice. *shrug* If you didn't mean it, why say it?

I don't understand why you're getting your panties in a bunch though. You've been able to do what you want ever since PzC came out, and now with the sub-editor you can do it even easier. Seriously - what's the problem?

Oh, and you'd be wrong about what I have and haven't played.
04-11-2008, 05:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2008, 05:25 PM by Engelbrekt.)
I agree with Hiroo, it would help planning and playing (especially in team games).

Sicily 43 already has it, the different roads on the islands have their proper names as labels. So does the various mountain areas, also a big help when communicating with your team mate. For example you could say: "I´m attacking with the 1st Canadian division across the Nebrodi Mountains in an attempt to cut off Route 113".

Makes things a lot easier and more historical too, in my opinion.
04-11-2008, 05:57 PM,
I have played many team games. One method to get around the labels is take a screen shot and drop it into your favorite editor. Draw a few lines and arrows and send to your team mate(s).
As a commander, limit your remarks to goals for the game day and let your team figure out how to do it.

Usually villages, cities or towns and a compass direction can convey a point.

In some team games, we created our own names for locations as the battle developed. Rats nest, "the slot", killing field, and that big #$%@ hole, come to mind... Big Grin

In the end you may feel like Napoleon at Waterloo wondering what Ney and Grouchy are doing. That is part of the fun being in a team game.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
04-11-2008, 10:02 PM,
-----and that big #$%@ hole-----

Are you sure you were talking about a location and not one of your opponants? :eek1:
04-12-2008, 05:44 AM,
I think the new feature will be a welcomed addition in order to provide situational awareness in team games. However, the challenge that I find is that for the larger games the Jump map doesn't provide enough detail to use a planning tool. The next lower level is good for planning but you can't get enough of the map on snapshot to work with in MS paint, etc. I wish there was one more map zoom level between the Jump and the next level. For example, in one current team game, West Germany for D85, I had to do 13 snapshots to cover the front line trace for the NATO elements. Additionally, this level doesn't cover enough depth to allow you to plan your defense in depth. I have been tempted to use a printer plotter to print the entire monster out and cover it with acetate but even this won't help to provide situational awarness for the rest of my teammates. If someone else has figured out a better method please let me know. Thanks.

Tbird3