• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MC/PC.. A plea for map addition
04-13-2008, 06:23 AM,
RE: MC/PC.. A plea for map addition
Engelbrekt Wrote:I agree with Hiroo, it would help planning and playing (especially in team games).

Sicily 43 already has it, the different roads on the islands have their proper names as labels. So does the various mountain areas, also a big help when communicating with your team mate. For example you could say: "I´m attacking with the 1st Canadian division across the Nebrodi Mountains in an attempt to cut off Route 113".

Makes things a lot easier and more historical too, in my opinion.

Well, well, well, its already in S43.

What do you know? :)
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2008, 03:43 PM,
Tbird3,

I have found that there is no need to discuss the entire line. The exception might be at the beginning of the game to identify where the main push will be. I found it best that the commander or last person on a team send a game file to the whole team right before advancing the turn. In this way team members can review the final positions for their side, if they choose. Any discussion can then be about specific areas.

Most CG can be broken down into sectors. These sectors can change as the game continues or be assigned by Corps, Army or Army group, depending on the scale of the CG.

As was pointed out earlier in this thread, there is no harm in making your own labels in the editor before the game begins and distributing this to the team for a common reference. One time should do it.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
04-13-2008, 03:44 PM,
OJW,

Certainly a location.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
04-14-2008, 05:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-14-2008, 12:10 PM by Glenn Saunders.)
When you come right down to it - the whole lengthy thread is rather pointless in my opinion.

So the Sicily has Highway numbers on it that some people like - great. That doesn't set any precedence to redo or add to existing maps for other games. The fact is, the Sicily source map had these highway numbers on it so it was a detail that Blackie could see and add without any trouble. Other maps Blackie and I used when making the games are a different period source and don't have them.

But I think the example game being discussed is Danube or the Modern Battles in Germany. These maps are made from an AIR CHART source and do NOT have Highway numbers marked on them. And frankly even if they did there is no point going back over and redoing these maps with the highway numbers because HirooOnoda makes "a plea for a Map addition" that he didn't know at the start he can do himself if he wants to or cares to take the time to do.

If he or anyone else what to add labels to the maps I will be happy to post them for all to download and provide a place where they can explain what they have done and why it is so vital or such an improvement in the game that everyone should download them.

In the meantime, every hex is numbered so you can say:

fr xxx,yyy to xxx,yyy

where xxx,yyy = your hex number
Doesn't sound as cool as "Highway 241 to Franfurt", but it is every bit as effective - more so if you consider there is a Hex ID look up in the game menus.

Glenn
Send this user an email
04-14-2008, 05:42 PM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:....I think there was someone complaining about a Bulge Label too.

Glenn

That was the label "Elsenborn Ridge" on the place of the Monschauer/ Krinkelter Forest. Elsenborn Ridge is several kilometres to the west and is not an official geographical name, but a name the US forces used for a line of hills near Elsenborn to which they retreated. I mailed this info to HPS last year and got a reply. However I do not know if they ever corrected the error.
04-15-2008, 02:56 AM,
Huib Wrote:
Glenn Saunders Wrote:....I think there was someone complaining about a Bulge Label too.

Glenn

That was the label "Elsenborn Ridge" on the place of the Monschauer/ Krinkelter Forest. Elsenborn Ridge is several kilometres to the west and is not an official geographical name, but a name the US forces used for a line of hills near Elsenborn to which they retreated. I mailed this info to HPS last year and got a reply. However I do not know if they ever corrected the error.

I think we checked the source - didn't see anything and removed the label completely thus putting that one to bed too.

And if you want to replace it yourself on your own map, you can certainly do it with tools provided by the game now.

Glenn
Send this user an email
04-16-2008, 06:49 AM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:I think we checked the source - didn't see anything and removed the label completely thus putting that one to bed too.

It is still there.