• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

POS Tourneys
04-04-2008, 01:55 AM,
RE: POS Tourneys
PoorOldSpike Wrote:
Mad Baron Wrote:I'll be throwing my hat in!..

WHOA everybody, it's still only in the planning stages, I might even abandon it for whatever reason, so hold your horses..

PS -I mean, the Jobcentre are on my back and want me to look for a job..:)

''I'll be throwing my hat in.'' as in I will be throwing my hat in....''will be'' as in ''the future'', whenever the next one begins........
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2008, 02:53 PM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:I'd say the Germans are going to get the crap kicked out of them on this map, POS - there's too many flags everywhere to defend, there's not enough cover to hide from the big Russian HE and whatever way a German tank faces a Russian gun can start off pointing at his rear end.

The maps nowhere near finished yet mate, for example I plan to put in a big forest with a flag in the middle of it, and also an area of steep hills, an area of marshes, a river gorge, airfield, a flag on a small island in a lake reachable by a causeway, etc etc, and might even make the map bigger than the screenshot.
As for the defending Germans getting hammered, maybe, maybe not.. It's an ME remember, 3000 points each, so the German could set up his infantry and schrecks + ATG's in full possession of all the flags if he wants and also have a small mobile armoured reserve (carrying infantry) to rush to the main trouble spots as the situation develops.
And of course unlike the attacker he won't have to waste valuable cash on transport because his infantry and guns are ready-deployed sitting at most or all of the flags..;)
04-05-2008, 11:02 PM,
It's an interesting idea - it might work if the germans could start out of view of all russian borders....maybe you could make it foggy...or make it "no flag" - set just one 100 pt flag outside the play area (across a river - unreachable by either side) so the only points will come from destroying the pocket itself. But keep in mind the manual says units take a severe morale hit when fired on from behind, and the Russian will be firing from all sides. It may require more time to eliminate a pocket like this than 20+ turns, too. It will be tricky - if you make the map too big the Germans might actually have the advantage - the russians are actually attacking but get no attack bonus points.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
04-06-2008, 12:26 AM,
Thanks guys keep the ideas and suggestions coming, I shall also put in a small 'beach sector' where the Russian start line is on an exposed beach (think 'Omaha'),but there'll be a cluster of valuable big flags in the area to make it worthwhile for the Russians to attempt..:)
But remember no matter what the final product looks like, my opponents will all have the luxury of choosing which side they want to be..;)
04-09-2008, 02:16 AM,
SNEAK PREVIEW - 'PERIMETER' TOURNEY

(I'm changing the name from 'Last Pocket' to 'Perimeter')
This is the map (as mentioned earlier in this thread) taking shape, its about half finished (still lots more terrain etc to put on) and the Tourney will kick off in about a week (mid-April)

THE FIELD
The Russians start anywhere in the red zone.
The Germans set up anywhere in the perimeter green zone, not knowing from which direction the Russkis will be coming from.
There's also a small green German zone on the central airfield.
There are 8 small flags around the perimeter, and one big flag on the airfield, for a total of 1100 flag points.
The Russian attacker will therefore be aiming to capture more than half the flag points.
Every flag is in its own area as per the labels.
[Image: peri.png]

[Image: peri2.gif]

[Image: peri3.gif]
04-09-2008, 02:18 AM,
Nicely done! This looks to be quite tough for those legging it tho..
all that open space..
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
04-09-2008, 03:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2008, 03:06 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Yes mate, but at least its 3000-points size so they'll be able to afford trucks/ halftracks..;)

Also, notice how short a distance it is from the Russki start line to the perimeter flags, so maybe some Russian players won't bother with any transport at all.
His transp problems will only arise if he wants to move on after capturing a flag..

There are a number of strategies and it's fun deciding which to use. For example the Russian could split his force into 3 separate groups and send each group to capture a single small perimeter flag to bag 300 points total, and also send an armoured spearhead to capture the big flag on the airfield which is worth 300 pts. Bingo! that'll net him 600 points total which is more than half the flag points on the map, and put a smile on his face bigger'n a wave on a slop bucket, he can ignore the remaining 5 small flags (500 pts) completely..:)

Another strategy would be for him to ignore the big centre flag and just take any 6 perimeter flags, bingo again, that'd be 600 points in the bag..:)

Therefore, the Russki players don't need to grab every flag on the field if they don't want to, but to just grab the majority..:)

PS - 'Perimeter' is of course just a miniature fun version of many real-life pockets such as this one-
[Image: korsun.gif]
04-09-2008, 03:13 AM,
but the problem is in my opinion,that the german dont have many places to hide.there are a lot of open wide spaces.enemy will know where the guns and infantrie is hiding....
04-09-2008, 03:35 AM,
Marshall666 Wrote:the german dont have many places to hide.there are a lot of open wide spaces.enemy will know where the guns and infantrie is hiding....

Nein kamerad, the map is not finished, i'll put lots more trees and stuff on it..:)
04-09-2008, 04:12 AM,
POS,
Looks interesting, keep rolling with it.
warhammer11a