• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Kits?
03-26-2008, 10:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2008, 10:35 AM by ppargen.)
RE: Kits?
Seems like a player to player rating system would be good here. It could be completed like the win/loss battle report after a game. A simple system of collecting complaints about a player for others to view would work too. I used to play a different game at another community and they had a system such as this that people used when finding others to play with. Of course even the best players are going to gather a complaint from someone for some reason, but players that gathered many complaints were generally shunned or even banned.

Of course it can be a hard call to make as to what is fair and what isn't. I agree that it seems the best thing to do is work everything out before the game.
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2008, 11:07 AM,
Better off, I think, just finding another opponent, rather than having "complaint" flamewars. How did you find players reacted to "complaints" at the other board?
03-26-2008, 11:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2008, 11:51 AM by ppargen.)
McIvan Wrote:Better off, I think, just finding another opponent, rather than having "complaint" flamewars. How did you find players reacted to "complaints" at the other board?
They just had a chance to reply to a complaint once one had been lodged. It wasn't really a complaint, just room for comments about a player after gaming with them. Most of the people who leave the comments never see the reply anyway as it went into the user details section for others to look at. Nothing so public or interactive as a complaint thread in a forum would be.
There was also a rating system where you could rate a player upon different aspects of game play such as fairness, lateness to games, etc. Players also were also rated according to gaming style so that you could find someone to play that matched up with you.
03-26-2008, 12:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2008, 12:28 PM by ppargen.)
The ability to leave a public reply to a comment satisfies most people that they have been able to respond to a complaint. On the plus side, they have the option to improve their rating scores by playing fairly, and 1 person rating you badly will average out as nothing if everyone else does not. I'd rather deal with whiners than unfair players.
03-27-2008, 01:13 AM,
This forum acutally has what you are talking about. We have a reputation system. If you click on a members reputation number you can leave a public comment.

So, for example, if somebody {cough cough} adds something to a forum that helps you, you can click their reputation number and rate them {cough cough}.
03-27-2008, 01:56 AM,
I looked at those for a few people but they were leaving comments only about the forums not game play. I also saw a thread that said they were removing that feature as it was causing flame wars.
03-27-2008, 02:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2008, 02:26 AM by Colonel Talvela.)
the old system - the "clickie" system - caused some disturbances. The current system is much more tame and technically could be used for anything. So if you felt somebody was a gamey bastage and want to rate them negative for that than you could, but it would probably be frowned upon.

btw, you should test out the current reputation system {cough cough hint hint}
03-27-2008, 02:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2008, 04:25 AM by RedDevil.)
ppargen Wrote:I looked at those for a few people but they were leaving comments only about the forums not game play. I also saw a thread that said they were removing that feature as it was causing flame wars.

Our old rep system was subject to abuse, the new one stopped it entirely. The flame wars erupted because the abusers couldn't stand the changes and pressed for some native uprisings to overthrow the changes. They were suppressed, but once in a while, the memoirs of these dire moments revisit us here only to get nipped in the bud before they spam up our wargaming forum with unnecessary topic banter.

Added for clarity: Col T was NOT involved in this fiasco and has requested I clear his good name of any connectivity to my post.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard