• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Interesting news over at Matrix guys.......
03-30-2008, 10:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2008, 12:31 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: Interesting news over at Matrix guys.......
Matrix's CLOSE COMBAT:MODERN TACTICS (with Jan 2008 update patch) http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=350

As most wargamers already know, the well-established and popular Close Combat series are played on top-down 2D maps, which raises the question - "why on earth should anyone want to play in 2D when they might just as well play games set in a more visually-appealing 3D environment?"
The answer is "Command Realism"..:)
In real-life, Company (and higher) Commanders in the field often operate from HQ's and Command vehicles well away from the action, issuing orders based on a 2D map (or 2D computer screen) in front of them, just as in CC:MT.
That's the hook and challenge of this game, it offers us the chance to experience commanding a force in realtime in exactly the same way as real-life tactical commanders without the luxury of a 3D map..:)
Naturally it's impossible to say whether 2D games such as this are any better or worse than 3D games, each offers a different way of playing battles, both of which are equally valid and enjoyable..:)

One of the many maps, this is the mid-eastern town of Ghazwah seen in zoomed-out view. The American force is forming up at bottom left (the 15 light blue units) to take the town.
[Image: CCMTb.gif]

Zoomed-in view shows a part of the force; an M1 Abrams, Bradley, Stryker and infantry.
The numbers on the buildings are the number of floors.
The 15 green bars give info about each unit. The buttons below them call in arty and airstrikes.
Can you command 15 units simultaneously in realtime on a 2D map?
Real-life commanders can and must..;)
[Image: CCMTa.gif]

PS-I've only had CC:MT a couple of days and have barely scratched the surface, but will post more shots and info as I get deeper into it

Real-life 2D computerised Tactical HQ setup-
[Image: BFT.gif]
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2008, 12:08 PM,
I just hate that top-down view - that's why I've never gotten into Steel Panthers...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
03-30-2008, 02:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2008, 04:19 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
I was a big Steel Panthers fan when it was the only game in town but I never quite felt comfortable with the totally unrealistic way units had to be moved individually instead of in waves, then when CM arrived 7 years ago it completely blew SP out of the water and I've never played it since..
As for top-down 2D in games like CC:MT, you get used to it. After all we've played board wargames for years on 2D cardboard or paper maps (Squad Leader etc), so 2D is nothing new..;)
Like I said, real-life commanders command from a flat map or screen in realtime, so it's an interesting challenge to see if we're up to doing it too..
Hey that'd make a good Star Trek story line - you're a civilian on board Enterprise as its guest when it comes under surprise attack by half-a-dozen Romulan warbirds and is left drifting near-helplessly in space with all the bridge crew unconscious or incapacitated including you. As the Romulans close in for the kill on all sides, Picard (on his back on the floor injured) feebly says to you -
"Mr Smith, I understand you have a reputation as a tactical wargamer at Starfleet Academy; are you familiar with a Galaxy-class starships weapons systems?""
YOU (bruised and battered) - "yes captain, but only in computer simulations"
PICARD (grasping your arm) -"Mr Smith, save my ship, you have command"
YOU (hesitantly) -"Aye sir.."
You crawl weakly over to the weapons consul avoiding Worf's unconscious body, and reach painfully up to press a sequence of buttons - PHASERS > ALL > 360 DEGREE SPREAD > AUTO-SELECT TARGETS > FIRE..

(cut to external view) -Zap zap zap zap zap zap..
Scratch 6 warbirds..
03-31-2008, 03:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2008, 03:55 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Matrix's 'CLOSE COMBAT:MODERN TACTICS', scen creator mode

Pick your map from the 28 available
[Image: edA.gif]

Assign victory locations, air and arty support, select both sides unit types and deployment zones etc.
[Image: Edb.gif]

Deploy and go..:)
A probing Bradley comes under fire and pops smoke..
[Image: edc.gif]

CC:MT - http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=350
04-01-2008, 02:35 AM,
Old spiker, I thought this thread was suppose to be about PC and PCK but now your posting about CCMT! :conf:
Why not start a new thread for CCMT and leave this one for more stunning screenshots of PC? :chin:
04-01-2008, 03:22 AM,
Its a shame there is no PBEM, thats one of the first things I look for in a game.
04-01-2008, 04:01 AM,
British Tommy Wrote:Old spiker, I thought this thread was suppose to be about PC and PCK but now your posting about CCMT! :conf:
Why not start a new thread for CCMT and leave this one for more stunning screenshots of PC? :chin:

Because Blitz is a Combat Mission club mate and I don't want to splatter other games willy-nilly all over it like a spaced-out crackhead kid with a can of spray paint..:)
On the other hand I don't want to completely turn a blind eye to other games, so a good compromise is to lump Matrix games into their own cosy little Matrix thread, catch mah drift?
Anyway my Winter Storm screenshots and comments have about run their course, so while we're waiting for Kharkov I just thought I'd post some shots of 'Advanced TacticsWW2' and 'CC:Modern Tactics'.
Or would you prefer blank white pages?..;)
04-01-2008, 04:21 AM,
Correction.. TheBlitz is a WARGAMING club and any wargame topic is worthy of a post on the forums, where ever one may think it will generate interest and conversation :) It's only the attention seeking, personal woes, & damn the rules stuff that needs to be on Yahoo groupie forums or where ever it is that spray-can wielding wankers and whiners post.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
04-01-2008, 04:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2008, 04:39 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RedDevil Wrote:Correction.. TheBlitz is a WARGAMING club and any wargame topic is worthy of a post on the forums

Yes and I tend to forget Blitz is much bigger than just the Combat Mission forum.:)
In fact I often browse other Blitz forums such as Napoleonic, ACW etc and sometimes post in there too because I keep meaning to try my hand at something else besides CM, can't help wondering if i'd make a good Boney or US Grant etc..:)

EDIT - just got this mail from Matrix 2 minutes ago about Kharkov -

"Hi again Mick,
Thanks so much again for your advocacy in the forums. We unfortunately do not have a review build yet available for distribution but I assure you that when we do I will approve your request right away and send it out to you. Thanks again!
Sean Drummy
Marketing and Press Relations Manager
Matrix Games -
www.matrixgames.com"
04-01-2008, 05:37 AM,
RedDevil Wrote:It's only the attention seeking, personal woes, & damn the rules stuff that needs to be on Yahoo groupie forums or where ever it is that spray-can wielding wankers and whiners post.

That's it Randy, get it off your chest mate.... you should be feeling much better now! Big Grin
(and don't forget to take those big blue tablets!) ;)