• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Interesting news over at Matrix guys.......
03-15-2008, 03:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2008, 03:40 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: Interesting news over at Matrix guys.......
Combat Footage from Winter Storm -
As the panzers advance along the rail line to Stalingrad they come under enemy fire. Note the neat tank tracks in the snow and the tanks exhaust fumes.
(The game has a CM Shock force feel to it in the way units are ordered around)
[Image: WSa.png]
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2008, 03:45 PM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:Combat Footage from Winter Storm -
As the panzers advance along the rail line to Stalingrad they come under enemy fire. Note the neat tank tracks in the snow.
(The game has a CM Shock force feel to it in the way units are ordered around)

Here is a quote from the rule booklet.....

Troops rarely fight to the last man. Instead after taking casualties the remaining troops lose their motivation and seek their own survival. General Morale is different from squad or vehicle crew morale. General morale covers the morale of platoons rather than individual elements.

Experience levels are:

Green, Veteran and elite.

Not the wide variety of CM but probably good enough.

Good Hunting.

MR
03-15-2008, 04:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2008, 04:36 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Combat Footage from Winter Storm -
Leading German elements attempt to cross the Myshkova river bridge under fire en route to Stalingrad.

[Image: WSb.gif]
03-15-2008, 06:31 PM,
Congrats on your new position, POS.
03-15-2008, 09:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2008, 09:04 PM by falco.)
Tanker Wrote:
falc Wrote:Yes, there are Kursk battles as well so that explains the Panthers I guess!...lol. I wasnt aware of this myself till I saw the fineprint.

I've already made up my mind I'm goin to buy this. Hopefully it'll turn out to be a fine game. If not, well...... theres always good 'ol CM to fall back on. :cool:

- falco.

I hope you demand a demo from them first. Don't forget the CMSF debacle.

Thats true mate but I probably wouldnt have bought ShockFarce even if it had've been a decent game. Present day warfares just not my cup of tea I'm afraid. These days theres no way the individual can triumph over technology....WW2 was about the last time in history one could legitimately make this claim.

Besides I've been gettin a bit jaded with CM lately and PC Kharkov is the only new tactical squad- level WW2 game on the horizon (well, that I'm aware of anyway) that seems to incorporate all the good things of CM and doesnt have any of the things I dont like eg.
1to1 modeling, RT etc.

BTW Congrats to POS fer getting review copies of PC to review.

- falco.
03-15-2008, 09:56 PM,
Winter Storm looks to be the latest in a long line of tactical games which should start with a truthful announcement of
Quote:"We have a beautiful set of graphics which are slightly beyond the capablilties of your current computer. We are releasing the alleged game right now to attract your attention, and by the time you have a machine that will run it, we hope to have the game functioning."

I never bought Beyond Overlord because I thought that it was not only a mediocre game and a bad simulation, but did not think they could improve it enough to change my mind. They improved it to a good game and a mediocre simulation, and then came out with CMAK, which met all my standards, thank you. I hope Matrix will prove me equally wrong.
03-15-2008, 10:19 PM,
Winter Storm has been out for quite a while (over a year I think). I never bought or played because I waz put off by all the negative reviews, comments etc. Its probably not all that relevant to judge that with the new game.

With PC Kharkov things look have been greatly improved. I hope Matrix prove me right!....lol.
03-15-2008, 10:23 PM,
[quote=Extraordinarius]
Winter Storm looks to be the latest in a long line of tactical games which should start with a truthful announcement of
Quote:"We have a beautiful set of graphics which are slightly beyond the capablilties of your current computer. We are releasing the alleged game right now to attract your attention, and by the time you have a machine that will run it, we hope to have the game functioning."

HUH?

WS looks like any machine bought within the last 5 years should crunch it to pieces no problems. Anyone thinking different should look at how much more graphicaly intensive main stream releases are.
03-16-2008, 12:21 AM,
Hi folks

I've been on the beta team since early on in OWS.

PC is not CM. People who like to micromanage and count beans and bullets will not like PC.

POS will like that tanks don't react like they do in CM.

The system is very moddable. People with high dollar 3D programs can create new units. The units included in the game may not look as good as some games, but are way better then CMBO. Mostly this is for the stated minimum requirements and after release higher poly count models will be released for people with high end computers.

For the OWS demo, you must install the .net and directx programs when you install the demo. I don't think the demo will work with integrated graphics.

paul
03-16-2008, 03:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-16-2008, 05:30 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
As I mentioned earlier, it'd be pointless for me to do a super-duper detailed in-depth analysis of Winter Storm because Kharkov is coming out soon which contains a lot of new polished features and rule/system tweaks, so that's the one i'll be concentrating on, but in the meantime i'll post a few WS screenshots and general comments.
The latest version of WS is at least 2 years old and my ancient old mid-range PC handles it okay (just), and it installed and plays without a hitch.
The thing that strikes me most at the moment are the superb WS terrain graphics which have an almost photo-realistic clean uncluttered quality about them, last night I actually dreamt I'd somehow gotten through my monitor screen and was there on the snowy WS landscape inside a scenario, almost like an out-of-body experience so obviously the immersive aspect has made a deep impression on my subconscious, how spooky is that, it'd make a good plot line for Torchwood - "You can be in my dream if I can be in your dream" - Bob Dylan

Combat footage from Winter Storm -
A Pak 40 engages a KV-1 trying to infiltrate the Kotelnikovo refinery complex..
[Image: WSp40.png]

Ping!, no damage..
(PS - the dotted lines in the sky in the background are overhead power lines, not graphics glitches)
[Image: WSkv.png]