• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Interesting news over at Matrix guys.......
04-01-2008, 05:54 AM,
RE: Interesting news over at Matrix guys.......
British Tommy Wrote:(and don't forget to take those big blue tablets!) ;)

I prefer the little white ones that have 1000 stamped on them EekEek

Big Grin
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2008, 09:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2008, 09:38 PM by falco.)
POS Wrote:

Interesting news over at Matrix guys.......

This thread is a kind of 'Matrix Corner' so I'll draw the attention of Blitz members to any of their games that I think will prove interesting..:)
As I mentioned earlier, I contacted Matrix asking if they'd like me to review their games for Blitzes 6000 members, and also gave them a link to Blitz so they could check us out, and obviously they must have liked what they saw because they gave me Press Reviewer clearance so that I can download and review their games..:)

I've already looked at Winter Storm as you know, and they also want me to review Kharkov when its released soon.
Today they also gave me a download link for 'Close Combat:Modern Tactics' which i'll review and post screenshots soon, its used by the US Marines for tactical instruction so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me..:)

I also recently downloaded Matrix's 'Advanced Tactics:WW2' and am very impressed, it was newly updated to v 1.10L in Jan 2008 and is a pure thoroughbred and plays as smooth as silk..:)
Apart from the stock scenarios it's also a wargame construction kit, and also sports a random scen generator,
Here's a screenshot from a randomly-generated game of Adv Tacts I've just begun (you pre-set the map size and the amount of sea/ rivers/woods etc you want), my capital is in my tiny kingdom on the right and the enemy capital is off map to the left, so my first priority is to build a few riflemen for defence. At least I know the enemy will be starting from scratch too without an advantage..
The dulled-out map areas will light up later of course as my recce patrols open up more territory, great fun..:)

Yes, I think a Matrix games thread would be a good idea.

Actually I recently bought 'Commander: Europe at War' from Matrix which is is strategic level WWII game along the lines of Axis & Allies but with a lot more detail.

I'm gonna write more about once I get my head around it more. But I guess it would be better being in the Classic Wargames section than here??

- falco.[/b]
04-01-2008, 10:07 PM,
falc Wrote:..'Commander: Europe at War' from Matrix which is is strategic level WWII game along the lines of Axis & Allies but with a lot more detail.
I'm gonna write more about once I get my head around it more. But I guess it would be better being in the Classic Wargames section than here??

I should think so mate,that's what the other sections are for but ask Randy, he runs Blitz not me..:)
Incidentally I never started this Matrix thread, it was started by a guy talking about the forthcoming Kharkov so I just chipped in with a few screenshots and stuff of other Matrix releases but it'll also serve as a useful platform for discussing Kharkov when it's released..:)
04-02-2008, 12:27 AM,
falc Wrote:Actually I recently bought 'Commander: Europe at War' from Matrix which is is strategic level WWII game along the lines of Axis & Allies but with a lot more detail.
- falco.[/b]

I bought "Commander: Europe at War" a couple of months ago and hope you like it better than I did, Falco - it's already on my shelf collecting dust. It does look pretty - to me it is kind of a hybrid of the old "Panzer General" and "Hearts of Iron 2" except it failed to hold my attention longer than either of those.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
04-02-2008, 04:21 AM,
If you want an excellent game from Matrix try Advanced Tactics.

This is actually an operational level strategy game, it has a brilliant elegant game system which is simple to learn but takes a life time to master, is massively flexible in terms of QB's and user made scenarios etc and will probably stay on my HD as long as CM has.
04-02-2008, 08:29 AM,
Fullhouse Wrote:If you want an excellent game from Matrix try Advanced Tactics.

Yes mate I reviewed and screenshotted AT:WW2 on page 8 of this stunning thread unless you're referring to a different game..:)
04-02-2008, 02:26 PM,
Fullhouse Wrote:If you want an excellent game from Matrix try Advanced Tactics.

Now that game looks so old school I may buy it - I love strategy - not so much into onscreen action - so that may fit the bill...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
04-03-2008, 01:57 AM,
DK if you get it pop over to the FGM we are running a ladder in the interim until we get enough interested parties to push for a ladder at the Blitz ;)
04-03-2008, 02:17 AM,
Bootie Wrote:DK if you get it pop over to the FGM we are running a ladder in the interim until we get enough interested parties to push for a ladder at the Blitz ;)

I might have to look you up on that.
04-03-2008, 11:24 PM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:
falc Wrote:Actually I recently bought 'Commander: Europe at War' from Matrix which is is strategic level WWII game along the lines of Axis & Allies but with a lot more detail.
- falco.[/b]

I bought "Commander: Europe at War" a couple of months ago and hope you like it better than I did, Falco - it's already on my shelf collecting dust. It does look pretty - to me it is kind of a hybrid of the old "Panzer General" and "Hearts of Iron 2" except it failed to hold my attention longer than either of those.

Did u play it PBEM or against the AI mate? I found playing it against the AI to be about as exciting as watching grass grow. However playing against another person is a whole different ballgame, (mind you I loath playing against the AI with any PC game).

Dont get me wrong, there are still several issues I have with CEAW. Namely no replay option - a real bummer IMHO, just arrows to show where your opponent has moved. Also no toggle button to display destroyed units. And lastly I feel too many features are 'automated' insteat of the player having control over them ie. transAtlantic convoys, fighter interception etc.

Having said all this however I am having a lot of fun with CEAW at the moment. Will it be as long lasting as say CM?....I doubt it but if I get a couple of years enjoyment it will have been worth it.....lol.

- falco.