• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

halftracks
02-11-2008, 06:33 AM,
Smile  RE: halftracks
Best use of half-tracks..... :whis:

When you know where the enemy armour is, move ALL your half-tracks up just in front of your armour, then, when you're ready, move the half-tracks into the open to draw off the enemy op-fire and try to get any remaining units close/behind the enemy, then move your armour in when it's safe and blast the hell out of your opponents big-boys :smg: use the HT's remaining action points and any close leader units to surround and assault any remaining disrupted enemy who didn't get toasted by your armour... :grin2: .. if you happen to have any trucks hanging around who just "happen" to help in the assault.. without meaning to of course... then so much the better... Party

Of course, once you've used this tactic, you may find it hard to get anyone else to take you on as you'll already have shown what a shrewd tactician you are Big Grin

Enjoy! :scare:
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2008, 06:37 AM,
RE: halftracks
:grin2:
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
02-11-2008, 08:10 AM,
Halftracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......trucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......all in the same thread.........why not add to the fire..........how about using HQs to surround also :-)
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
02-11-2008, 11:06 AM,
Stryker,

You forgot to use that commander in the car to cut off his escape route!:stir:
02-14-2008, 07:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-14-2008, 07:20 AM by John Given.)
Laughing out loud here. Big Grin

For those newer players not "in the know" or players who have not seriously considered a "better" use for their oodles of extra transport, consider this;

a. for non-transport halftracks, they are considered standard combat units. When folks speak of halftracks in this thread, they are typically referring to the armored, armed version **that also is a transport.** Just thought I'd get that out of the way first.

b. German, U.S., and British (armed and armored) halftracks have radios. There is no reason why they could not carry out spotting functions (look at the antenna on the german HT in pic 2!!). It's important to discuss this with your opponent beforehand though, just to be sure if it's ok with him.

c. Of course, no unarmed transports, HT or not, are allowed to (deliberately) spot. Unarmored but *armed* halftracks are considered standard combat units, and are free to sacrifice themselves behind enemy lines whenever they wish (think german AAA halftracks)

d. This one is just my opinion (and that of many others); halftracks can spot, but due to their light armor and dual function as transports, make poor recon vehicles. Best to use low-value infantry units to spot for best results. If you really need ht's to spot though, or simply wish to take the risk, be certain you shut off the halftrack op-fire completely, and put him in a hard-to-reach spot, like forest, preferably with an escape route and at considerable distance from the enemy, if possible.

e. If your opponent is surrounding you with halftracks, then rest easy. You have lots of victory points coming to you (by way of burning halftracks), and you have received visual confirmation your opponent is desperate. If you wish to pull this highly dubious "strategy" on your opponent, or feel it should be allowed, be sure to discuss it with your opponent beforehand.

f. A clarification to "d" above. I make a distinction between "spotting" functions, and "recon" functions. A spotter is a machine gunner on a distant hilltop calling in artillery and airstrikes on enemies he sees in the valley below. A recon unit is something that drives around *in* the valley, looking for enemy HQ's, loaded units, security holes in the enemy line, etc. I'm perfectly happy with ht's carrying out spotting functions, but recon....I guess it could be done, but I can't imagine a commander approving of it, and also, they ht's would have a short life expectancy indeed. On the other hand, if my opponent used ht's as recon, I would not complain. Would I use ht's like this? I have before, but it's rare. All too often, there's simply no serious need to.

g. As far as using ht's during attacks? Best way to lose the game. Unless spotting or transporting things, the best use for a HT is to keep him deep in the forest. Halftracks have thin armor and horrible attack factors. Seriously, keep them away from the fighting. The only purpose for the armor is to make them resistant to artillery. The purpose of the mounted machine gun is to make adjacent enemy infantry disrupt or retreat on the rare occations they ambush you.

h. Using transport ht's (M3's, Bren carriers, 251/1) to draw op-fire. I usually keep my op-fire turned off if I even *think* I may be in a situation where enemy action can cause my armor to "spin" around to where they can then be spot in the sides or rear by other enemy units. I have never been a fan of op-fire. So, when an enemy tries this with me, the result is usually...utter silence. i just don't like the thought of my armor becoming spotted during the enemy turn. This is another one you need to discuss with your opponent beforehand. Also, if you think burning ht's to draw op-fire is some kind of a strategy for winning, you need to rethink your strategy. (hint: it doesn't work) Put sturdy infantry units out there instead (keep them in good terrain), and it will pay off.

Hope this was, um, informative. ;)
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu