• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Quiz: Who Am I?
02-10-2008, 06:29 AM,
RE: Quiz: Who Am I?
D-Day_Dodger Wrote:Great quizzes. I guessed right on the first one, I picked up on Leonidas pretty quickly but was totally out in left field with the third, so I guess I'm batting .500. Where do I pick up my 3 wheeled Lada?
Anyhow, I enjoyed these historical head scratchers so I thought I would contibute my own. This is probably fairly easy but here you go.

"I am a woman, but no ordinary one. I am a ruler, an admiral and I have the ear of a great king. In battle my ferocity and quick thinking has served me well."

Another hint in my next post.

Thanks D-Day Dodger! nice to see someone else posts questions too!

Here´s a new one from me. This is not too difficult, is it?:

My Father was a travelling salesman. I myself became interested in polics at young age. They say I possess natural charisma that some people that work in the same office I did seem not to have. I have a chronic healt problem, rosacea. I tried marihuana when I was young but did not inhale. When I left my most significant office I was more popular than any of my predecessors.
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2008, 08:00 AM,
Der Schlickmiester.......a.k.a William Jefferson Clinton
02-12-2008, 03:00 PM,
Foul. Wrote:Very interesting, although i had never heard of her and so i had no chance of answering this and adding to my collection of 3 wheeled Ladas.....Cry

Lot more stuff like this being talked about since 300 hit the screens!

Tis true. I've been soaking up Greek history like a sponge since I saw "300". Hoplite warfare, huge naval battles and all the glory that was Greece. It's too bad the movie had to take so many liberties with history but there is nothing new in that I'm afraid.
02-13-2008, 07:38 AM,
D-Day_Dodger Wrote:Tis true. I've been soaking up Greek history like a sponge since I saw "300". Hoplite warfare, huge naval battles and all the glory that was Greece. It's too bad the movie had to take so many liberties with history but there is nothing new in that I'm afraid.

I have not seen the movie yet, but it must have been quite nice having inspired you getting acquainted with history of Greece! What kind of liberties did the hollywood people take?

....and here´s a new one:
”Anyone who knows US history knows my name. Even then nobody knows if some existing photographs of me really are authentic. At war my symbol was a yellow lightning. After surviving many tough situations I was shamefully murdered.”
02-14-2008, 02:18 AM,
"Crazy Horse"
"The Pope? How many Divisions does he have?" Stalin
02-14-2008, 08:05 AM,
D-Day_Dodger Wrote:
Foul. Wrote:Very interesting, although i had never heard of her and so i had no chance of answering this and adding to my collection of 3 wheeled Ladas.....Cry

Lot more stuff like this being talked about since 300 hit the screens!

Tis true. I've been soaking up Greek history like a sponge since I saw "300". Hoplite warfare, huge naval battles and all the glory that was Greece. It's too bad the movie had to take so many liberties with history but there is nothing new in that I'm afraid.

Don't get me started on U571 otherwise we will be here all day :eek1:
02-14-2008, 09:48 AM,
I understand your feelings Darran, although if you want to compare 300 to U571 and how they relate to history, 300 has to be worse. At least U571 used semi historical things. 300 had a killer rhino charging into battle (maybe it happened but I don't believe so), a huge mutant giant programmed killing machine human that was kept chained up until released on his target, some of the weapons, etc. But to give 300 its credit, it was based on a graphic novel/comic story rather than history, and on that basis it is probably true to its roots.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-14-2008, 09:59 AM,
Ricky B Wrote:I understand your feelings Darran, although if you want to compare 300 to U571 and how they relate to history, 300 has to be worse. At least U571 used semi historical things. 300 had a killer rhino charging into battle (maybe it happened but I don't believe so), a huge mutant giant programmed killing machine human that was kept chained up until released on his target, some of the weapons, etc. But to give 300 its credit, it was based on a graphic novel/comic story rather than history, and on that basis it is probably true to its roots.

Rick
Yes you are correct, Hollywood has to make it's profit i suppose.

I just get frustrated with people who believe that these films are 100% accurate then quote them as fact and then i have to make them look stupid by putting them right, not a great way of making friends...........:rolleyes:
02-14-2008, 11:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-14-2008, 11:35 PM by PzHeinZ.)
Ricky B Wrote:I understand your feelings Darran, although if you want to compare 300 to U571 and how they relate to history, 300 has to be worse. At least U571 used semi historical things. 300 had a killer rhino charging into battle (maybe it happened but I don't believe so), a huge mutant giant programmed killing machine human that was kept chained up until released on his target, some of the weapons, etc. But to give 300 its credit, it was based on a graphic novel/comic story rather than history, and on that basis it is probably true to its roots.

Rick

Alright, there are no Hollywood stories about this guy:

"I was born in Riga. I joined the Kriegsmarine shortly after Führer came in power. During the war I became on of the most famous U-boat commanders by sinking nearly 50 ships. I was also among the few who won the Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub, Schwertern und Brillanten (a little translation for you to do to make this a little harder). My life also ended in a strange way; a German sentry shot me dead after the war had already ended."
02-16-2008, 10:45 AM,
Is this a diffiicult one? Well perhaps this translation helps a bit:
Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub, Schwertern und Brillanten=
Knights cross of the iron cross with oakleaves, swords and brilliants.