• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Quiz: Who Am I?
05-05-2008, 04:05 AM,
RE: Quiz: Who Am I?
HiHi

Thats the Girl, well done.

She was born just a couple of miles from where I now live, place called Raby Castle.

http://www.rabycastle.com/history/nevills_raby.htm in case anyone is interested.

So a breakdown of the clues runs;

My husband is mentioned by Shakespeare. He is Richard of York and the rightful claimant to the throne.

I have an English Folk song/dance named after me. the Dance being 'the Rose of Raby'

One of my sons bore his arms in splendor, Edward IV chose the 'Sun in Splendor' as his personal arms after the Battle of Tewksbury, long story wont go into it here.

The rose is associated with my name. Cicily was know as 'the fair Rose of Raby' or 'the Rose of Raby'

I called one of my sons a Bastard. When Edward married Elizabeth Woodville against everybodys wishes, Cicily named him as a Bastard in an attempt to have someone more senceable placed on the throne.

Another son died of drink. George Duke of Clarance reputed to be drowned in a Butt of Malmsey.

My Husband made a fool of himself at Wakefield and wore a paper crown at the Bar. Richard of York was a well regarded General, having spent most of his life fighting the French, at Wakefield he lost his common sence and came out to fight without reconasance, got bounced and lost the battle and the throne of England as a result. His head was cut of and placed on a pole at Micklegate Bar in York with a Paper crown placed on top.

My Grandaughters fame also centered on the Rose. Elizabeth of York married Henry VII and the White Rose of York was the center of the New Tudor Rose of England.

One of my relatives was considered to be a monarch maker in Europe. Richard Neville Earl of Warwick,'the Kingmaker'

While one of my sons bore his arms in Splendor, and his 1st title suggested he walked a lot, another was just a plain Boar. ie 'Sun in Splendor' his 1st title being the Earl of March, the other is Richard of Gloucester whos arms were a White Boar.

While 1 of my sons saw the end of the flower Argent, my Grandaughter helped establish the Rose. Richard III the last Plantagenet (from plant Argent) King, Elizabeth mother of the Tudor dynesty and center of the Tudor rose.

"While 2 of my sons were King, Shakespeare only wrote a Tragedy about 1 of them and that was all lies, lies and more lies". Allegidly Shakespeare based his 'Tragedy of Richard III' on the writings of a Lancastrian knight who wrote his poison while in Prison, named Sir Thomas Mallory (?spl?) who achieved later immortality for writing 'La Mote de Arthur'

See, it's easy when you know the answers :)

All the Best
Peter
Quote this message in a reply