• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Interesting
11-02-2007, 11:52 PM,
RE: Interesting
herroberst Wrote:Wondering if we took an inter-club poll on who would purchase updated CMx1 and presented that as evidence to BF that it would be lucrative for them if that would do any good? We do polls on other stuff, yes?

Good idea Vic, but I doubt it would work. The sad economic truth is that they are looking at a growing market of players that like to play by themselves (or with themselves, by any standard found at the BF forums). The Shock Force game has sold more than all three CM games before it, and this is the market that is buying it (that I also suspect is made up of a lot of teens and actual military personnel, and just the military market alone is perhaps enough for them, who knows?).

The sad truth is that many of the consumers are not grognards, do not want to play against other people (or have never played against other people IP or PBEM before), and are action junkie teenagers. Take a look for yourself at any marketing articles in the literature that deal with video games... All in all, BF now has the market they wanted to begin with... or at least sold SF to into this market... not that they will ever sell anything else into this market now, blowing SF completely in the minds of many.

Cheers!

Leto
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2007, 12:06 AM,
Does anybody actually know what the relative sales figures for CMBO, CMBB, CMAK, and CMSF are? If they do, can they post them here?

Mike
11-03-2007, 12:40 AM,
Hi,

I saw the CMSF demo and i claim it : what a wasting of energy and dollars !
I think that if Battlefront doesn't want to develop another CM in the same way that the 3 we know (CMAK,CMBB,CMBO) for market considerations, they could at least consider all the other categories of players (us) who like strategy and the actual CM spirit. They could improve the actual game engine and add many units (M26, motocycles, M18 hellcat...).
That would be very cheaper than developing a new game and would be make happy many players like Blitz players and other clubs !

But as Leto said, the reality is here, implacable. Market, money, make happy silly shooters (they have already game like half-life, counterstrike and all those b.......t games to shoot, shoot, still shoot...).
If a Battlefront's decision-maker has a look on this forum, please think about it !

regards.
Hubert
Idiots dare everything. That is the way to recognize them (Michel Audiard)
11-03-2007, 02:05 AM,
The United States Military is undergoing significant change in the training of its workforce. Massive multiplayer online gaming (MMOG) is one technology that offers unique education, training, and performance support opportunities. While the research on MMOG is
scant, there is a need for a review of measurement methodologies related to MMOGs for adult learners. In particular, this document notes trends in the use of games and simulations for education and training purposes, common and preferred communication features, motivational aspects of multiplayer games, and the results of preliminary research in this field. In addition, it outlines completed and ongoing efforts to develop training games in a military context as well as findings related to the transfer of performance in games to performance on occupational tasks. As is evident in this document, there is a pressing need to know how problem solving and decision-making skills are being measured in online gaming environments.

Knowing the money that is being invested in this kind of simulation, I know for a fact that Military liaison with BF had a lot to do with what was going on here... realism took over a need for playability...

What is needed was a balance, and that was CMX1. One of my fellow egghead colleagues did some work for the Defense Department and took a Sabbatical and then a year off after that, as he said "the money was unbelievably good, and it allowed me the opportunity to leave academics for good if I had wanted to... but I stayed teaching because I liked it, not because I had to do it for the money any longer."

Cheers!

Leto
11-03-2007, 05:24 AM,
[hirr Wrote:Leto]
The Shock Force game has sold more than all three CM games before it, and this is the market that is buying it (that I also suspect is made up of a lot of teens and actual military personnel, and just the military market alone is perhaps enough for them, who knows?).

One wonders though how many of the people that bought it played it a couple of times and then stuck it on the shelf, never to be seen again?
11-03-2007, 05:43 AM,
Lord help the US Army, if they are basing their tactic on CMSF!! Eek

I can see it now.....

Sgt - "Sir, the enemy is massing on the roof of the house next door, but that building is 2 floors shorter than this one!!"

Lt - "Damn it all! We'll never get at them from this higher elevation. We'll have to abandon our postion. " Big Grin
11-03-2007, 07:24 AM,
Panther Bait Wrote:Lord help the US Army, if they are basing their tactic on CMSF!! Eek

I can see it now.....

Sgt - "Sir, the enemy is massing on the roof of the house next door, but that building is 2 floors shorter than this one!!"

Lt - "Damn it all! We'll never get at them from this higher elevation. We'll have to abandon our postion. " Big Grin

Actually, the two big ones are American Army and Full Spectrum Warrior... but these are multi-million dollar sims... The point being that BF knows there is a big market for modern warfare as military personnel are being trained in that world... not that they will be garnering any contract goodies, but basically selling into an audience that is a newly created market.

Cheers!

Leto
11-03-2007, 11:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2007, 11:21 AM by Fullhouse.)
Quote:The Shock Force game has sold more than all three CM games before it,

I dont think this is true. I think what they said at BF is that shock farce sold more copies on its release. This isnt the same as total sales over the lifetime of the product.
11-03-2007, 12:09 PM,
I don't know how many buyers were happy with the game even after the 1.04 patch but if this attached pic is as good as the graphics get then Suck Farce has a permanent place in my desk drawer.

Attached Files
.jpg   sforce.JPG (Size: 152.25 KB / Downloads: 28)
I remember Canada's Forgotten Veterans

http://www.vcn.bc.ca/~jeffrey1/tribute.htm
11-03-2007, 01:19 PM,
Panther Bait Wrote:Lord help the US Army, if they are basing their tactic on CMSF!! Eek

I can see it now.....

Ah, but look at it from a different angle....

The US Army Lt. can make the map on the computer, pick his forces and move them out over what may well be his next mission in the morning.

The nice thing about it is that the Iraqi's can also buy the sim on the open market and they to can go into the editor and put together their little town and run the US patrol from the other side....

Now BF makes money going both ways....you see it's all about dollars...not where they come from.

Good Hunting.

MR