• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE POTHMAN CHALLENGE, BRITS v 21 Pz
09-26-2007, 11:44 AM,
RE: THE POTHMAN CHALLENGE, BRITS v 21 Pz
But what if the original artist or photographer or mapmaker is impossible to trace?
For example I haven't a clue who drew this but I've seen it posted in other forums.. ;)

"21st PANZER COUNTERATTACKS ON D-DAY"

[Image: 21pz.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2007, 11:59 AM,
I suspect "impossible to trace" would be right up there with "nobody told me it was illegal" in court.
09-26-2007, 12:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-26-2007, 12:03 PM by RedDevil.)
This is a worthless discussion IMO and not worth the worrying or debating over. Hundreds of thousands of pictures are on the web forums and simply put, if it needs removed then we'll take it down..

I don't think we need to worry about the posting of pictures on a forum until someone complains about the nature of the picture being abusive or profane or the owner himself emails or posts for it to be removed.

If the picture is not of offensive or abusive nature or the owner isn't complaining to us, then the picture should be left alone.

End of story.

Is there anything else involving POS now that needs a legal review on?
Damn the amount of fecking pettiness that thrives on these CM forums anymore..

Pathetic
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
09-26-2007, 12:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-26-2007, 12:13 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
RedDevil Wrote:If the picture is not of offensive or abusive nature or the owner isn't complaining to us, then the picture should be left alone.

Our Leader Randy displays the wisdom of Solomon yet again.. :)
Incidentally, a CM player mailed me a little while ago to ask if he could copy out all my tactical screenshots onto paper and make a book for his own use, so I said - "Yes go ahead mate, but if you're thinking of publishing it one day don't forget to cut me in for a percentage of the royalties"

PS - I think the music industry operates in the same commonsense way, namely -"Copy all the music you want for your own use, but don't even think about trying to make money from doing it!"
09-26-2007, 12:11 PM,
POS - sent you an e-mail - send over a set-up or two and we are off. Cheers, Sphinx
Don't Expect Too Much
09-26-2007, 12:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-26-2007, 12:22 PM by McIvan.)
PoorOldSpike Wrote:Alright Mac, you're a trained lawyer, so tell us what the internet copyright laws are so we'll know where we stand, okay?
In fact I've already begun posting the following question in various military/ world affairs forums to try to find out myself. -

Strictly speaking Mick it's all breach of copyright unless items are in the public domain or the limited exception of fair use, but the distinctions between the three would take much longer to explain than it is worth.

Realistically, no one expects trouble to come of image links in non-commercial forum posts. If a complaint was drawn to our attention, however, the link to the image would be removed as it is simply not worth the trouble.

I regret posting now about this storm in a teacup, but was considerably irritated with the "blame the mod" approach.

Let's get back to the subject of the thread, and best wishes to the challengers.
09-26-2007, 12:24 PM,
Okay Sphinx mate welcome to the Hunters :)
I'll send a Brit and a German setup, you choose the one you want and delete the other.
I didn't get your e-mail but I think I've got your address somewhere..:)
09-27-2007, 12:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2007, 05:10 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Incidentally Bert Blitzkrieg just signed up as the Brits and raised an interesting point by suggesting the AT capability of the german infantry should be toned down, here's my reply -

Already done mate, you're getting the exact same scenario as everybody else with all the fausts removed, and nearly all the grenade bundles removed.. :)
I mean, the Brits haven't got fausts or bundles so its unfair to let Jerry have them..
(But I did let Jerry keep a few bundles to balance the fact that the Brit squads have got more men)
Incidentally your Shermans have got gyro-stabilisers which means they've got good accuracy if firing on the move. To balance it, they burn easier than Pz IV's..
09-27-2007, 05:01 AM,
Like I said earlier, whoever beats me by the highest margin will win a 1/72nd Metal Tank Paperweight.. :)
He chooses which type he wants (Tiger/Panther/T-34/Sherman etc) from any of the c. £12 (20 dollars) ranges such as this -
http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1427_1.html

Like for example this T-34/76D -

[Image: t34model.jpg]
09-27-2007, 06:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2007, 07:23 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
PS - and there's no rush to sign up, i'll keep the recruiting office door open for another couple of weeks.
So far 9 people have signed up and most of the games have begun, i'll enter each result on a 'league table' as they come in, so after say 3 games have finished it could look like this -

1 - Charlie beat POS by 70% to 30% (margin = 40%)
2 - Harry beat POS by 65% to 35% (margin=30%)
3 - Johnny beat POS by 60% to 40% (margin=20%)

So Charlie with a margin of 40% would be the leading contender most likely to lift the hallowed Tank Paperweight unless somebody beats Pothman by a higher margin later as results 4/5/6/7/8/9 etc keep coming in..

In other words it'll be like a single stage of a bike race where each racer has to strive to achieve the best winning margin.. :)

[Image: eddyA.png]