• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE POTHMAN CHALLENGE, BRITS v 21 Pz
09-25-2007, 03:39 PM,
RE: THE POTHMAN CHALLENGE, BRITS v 21 Pz
Right...the thread is now once again open for business.

For those not online, it got completely out of control and has had a savage cleanout.

This is a challenge thread. It's a simple premise. Accept the challenge, or don't accept it. Otherwise GET OFF IT.

Stay on topic, please, gentlemen.

I have left up some posts relating to The Coil's new family addition, because I have a soft spot for babies :) Particularly when someone else has to change them.
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2007, 03:52 PM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: THE POTHMAN CHALLENGE, BRITS v 21 Pz
Hi,
I'll take the challenge although staying at the boot camp right now.
So my choice of side is the german side and I want to play it for the ladder.
(I sent you a email once before). By the way do you really offer a metal tank?:whis:

Greetings
Send this user an email
09-25-2007, 07:19 PM,
Surprisingly I found that piece of art when I was lucking for some extra info.
You can buy it its from an artist who sells this kind of paintings.
Did you ask for permission to post it here POS?
You might bring the moderators of this forum into trouble.......
09-25-2007, 08:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2007, 09:48 PM by McIvan.)
I expect the moderators will survive, but thank you for the heads up.
09-26-2007, 01:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-26-2007, 02:04 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
AARRGHH!!!
Of the 7 people who've signed up so far, 6 have opted to play as the Germans, meaning i'll be stuck with Shermans.
I've just been looking up the Sherman CM data screen and this could explain why nobody want the Shers - "Burns easily".
I'm getting a bad feeling about this..

PS - About artwork and stuff posted in forums, my understanding of the copyright laws is that it's okay unless somebody is trying to make money out of it by pinching originals. Otherwise, the artists are glad of the free publicity and interest generated by having their artwork exhibited in forums.
That's what artists and photographers tell me anyway.. :)
09-26-2007, 07:36 AM,
That would be case by case POS. If there were a complaint, you'd most certainly have to remove it.
09-26-2007, 09:30 AM,
McIvan Wrote:That would be case by case POS. If there were a complaint, you'd most certainly have to remove it.

Yes, it's no skin off my nose, and if the cops come knocking my door i'll simply say - "McIvans the forum moderator, he allowed me to post it in the first place"
So mods serve a useful purpose after all, they carry the can.. :)
09-26-2007, 10:59 AM,
Mick, this is an irresponsible and smart-alec reply, the kind of which is going to lead to serious trouble if you keep it up. If copyright becomes an issue it will be taken seriously.
09-26-2007, 11:20 AM,
Alright Mac, you're a trained lawyer, so tell us what the internet copyright laws are so we'll know where we stand, okay?
In fact I've already begun posting the following question in various military/ world affairs forums to try to find out myself. -

IS THERE A LAWYER IN THE HOUSE?

Anybody know what the internet copyright laws are regarding posting somebody elses artwork and photos and maps etc on the net?
For example suppose we're answering a question in Armchair General about say the Battle of Shiloh, can we search for a pic on the net (for example an artists depiction of the battle) and put it in our post to add a bit of colour and interest?
Same with photos and maps can we post a photo of a Sherman in Normandy, or a map of the Anzio beachead that we've found on the net?
Oh, and how about using a scanner to lift pics and stuff out of books and posting them in forums, is that allowed?

My interpretation of the net copyright laws is that its okay to do all the above as long as you're not trying to make money from it, is that right?
09-26-2007, 11:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-26-2007, 11:42 AM by Sgt Barker.)
In general one cannot use another's work without their permission. To do so is a violation of copyright. This includes posting something to the net - unless you have explicit permission it's a violation.

See this site.

From the site:

"Taking images from third-parties. The simple rule is, "Don't steal someone else's images." The moment an original image (or string of text) is fixed on a hard drive for the first time, it is protected by copyright. Any unauthorized copying of a protected image is an infringement of the creator's copyright, unless the use falls within one of the very limited exceptions to the copyright law, such as "fair use." In most cases, it is unlikely that the incorporation of an image into a commercial web-site would be considered a fair use."

BTW, copyright law usually isn't so much about one trying to make money, as preventing someone else from making money. Eg, if I put together come cool maps of the Kursk battle and post them to my site my hits increase. If someone takes those maps to their site, even if they're doing it casually, without making any money, they still arguably deprive me form making money by reducing the hits my site gets.