• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE POTHMAN CHALLENGE, BRITS v 21 Pz
10-14-2007, 03:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-07-2007, 11:48 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: THE POTHMAN CHALLENGE, BRITS v 21 Pz
Mad Russian Wrote:Normally, the only time I've ever seen POS go out of line, is, if you ever decide that you have the right to disagree with ANYTHING he says.

On the other hand mate I'm never short of opponents because there are plenty of doods around who like my decisive well-organised way of getting things moving instead of pussy-footing around, just as all troops like having a strong commanding officer..;)
(Personally I recognise no higher authority except God Almighty and Randy)
Sure i'll listen to peoples constructive points of view, for example somebody said I should have included a couple of guns and tow trucks in 'Brits v 21Pz' and I agree, so in my future scenarios i'll include guns and also an arty spotter, aircraft and flak etc..:)

Rommel - "I decided to ignore my orders and to take command at the front with my own hands as soon as possible" -(arriving in Africa 1941)

Adm Nimitz - "When you're in command, COMMAND"

Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf - "When placed in command - take charge"

Frank Sinatra - http://www.musica.com/video.asp?video=613
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2007, 05:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-22-2007, 12:08 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
BATTLE QUOTES

Patton - "Battle is the most magnificent competition in which human beings can indulge"

Guderian -"Punch with your fist and not with your fingers spread " -

Rommel - "Concentrate strength at one point,force a breakthrough,roll up the flanks,penetrating like lightning deep into the rear before the enemy has time to react"

Hitler - "That's what I need! That's what I want to have!" (at tank demonstration Kummersdorf 1933)

MacArthur - "It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it"

U.S. Grant -"The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving"

Duke of Wellington - "The whole art of war consists of guessing at what is on the other side of the hill"

Montgomery (just before Alamein) - "When I assumed command of 8th Army I said the mandate was to destroy Rommel and his army as soon as we were ready. We are ready now"

Col Cyril Joly -"The more you use [tanks], the fewer you lose"

'Stonewall' Jackson - "My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me.That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave"
10-17-2007, 10:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-20-2007, 10:56 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Peiper - "For a long time I commanded III./Panzergrenadierregiment 2 of the Leibstandarte. This unit had made quite a name for its night attacks in Russia...
In action our armoured personnel carriers were in the habit of going into the attack at full speed and with all guns blazing. As the Russian houses mostly had thatched roofs, it was inevitable that they would catch fire during the battle.."

[Image: Peiper-1.png]

http://www.geocities.com/wolfram55/jjp.html
10-20-2007, 05:04 AM,
COMBAT FOOTAGE - Bert Blitzkriegs Shermans take ville by storm!..

Having lost 3 panzers earlier (their wrecks lie on Main St below), my last panzer in that sector was garrisoning the ville alone, but a burst of small-arms killed the commander and the panzer was still shocked and helpless when these 3 Shermans arrived and blew it away..

[Image: bb1.png]
10-22-2007, 12:22 AM,
RESULT JUST IN!
POS bt Easymeat

Like Panzer Dan in an earlier game and like Peiper in the Ardennes, Easymeat found the heavy terrain down the top edge of the map slowed his battlegroup too much and he ran out of time..

[Image: Em1.png]

[Image: troops.png]

Results so far in the order the games finished -

Game 1 - POS(Brits) bt Bootie
Game 2 - POS(Brits) bt Vinroc
Game 3 - POS(Brits) bt Sphinx
Game 4 - POS(Gers) bt The Grand Poohbah
Game 5 - Der Kuenstler bt POS(Brits) 68-32 (margin 36)
Game 6 - POS(Brits) bt Mugger
Game 7 - POS(Brits) bt Panzer Dan
Game 8 - Herroberst bt POS(Brits) 71-29 (margin 42)
Game 9 - POS(Brits) bt Easymeat

Game 10 - ongoing v Bert Blitzkrieg
10-24-2007, 09:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-24-2007, 10:13 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RESULT OF THE FINAL GAME JUST IN!
POS(Gers) bt Bert Blitzkrieg

Bert ignored the big top and bottom flags and made his main Sherman thrusts against the centre one, steamrollering his way into the ville and crushing my 4 panzers, but I was just able to scrape a minor win by remaining in possession of the other 2 big flags.
[Image: b1-1.png]

Berts Brits storm into town
[Image: bb.png]

Hauptmann Fitzlar and his men died where they stood in defence of the town..
[Image: fitz.png]

FINAL TABLE (in the order the games finished)

Game 1 - POS(Brits) bt Bootie
Game 2 - POS(Brits) bt Vinroc
Game 3 - POS(Brits) bt Sphinx
Game 4 - POS(Gers) bt The Grand Poohbah
Game 5 - Der Kuenstler bt POS(Brits) 68-32 (margin 36)
Game 6 - POS(Brits) bt Mugger
Game 7 - POS(Brits) bt Panzer Dan
Game 8 - Herroberst bt POS(Brits) 71-29 (margin 42)
Game 9 - POS(Brits) bt Easymeat
Game 10- POS(Gers) bt Bert Blitzkrieg

The 1/72 scale metal tank paperweight prize therefore goes to Herroberst who beat me by the highest margin and has chosen to have this model Sherman from the range -
[Image: prize.png]

CLOSING SPEECH BY POS TO ALL COMPETITORS

Gentlemen, when I first announced this Pothman Challenge exactly a month ago, I little dreamt that it would all be over within just four weeks, such was the superhuman speed of your file-returns which places you in the Fastest Players in the World category and I congratulate you all..:)
Together we hunted the hills and fields of Normandy and now we can return home with honour..

'Tis evening on the moorland free,
The starlit wave is still:
Home is the sailor from the sea,
The hunter from the hill.
-A.E.Housman

[Image: swordsman.jpg]
10-24-2007, 09:12 AM,
Thanks for a very entertaining challenge POS!

I hope you'll consider doing more of them, I know the majority of the members enjoyed the rapport and AAR themed thread.

Well Done to all the participants!!

Congrats to herrOberst, I hope his shiny new Sherman fosters some interesting conversations amongst his friends and family :)
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
10-24-2007, 10:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-24-2007, 10:43 AM by VinroC .)
good job Herroberst ! : )

thank for the challenge pos i will be looking foward to the next one!
10-25-2007, 12:54 AM,
Thanks Red Dev and Vinroc, but does anybody know why my Pothman thread only rated 2 out of 5 stars?
That means most Blitz members thought it was only below average and boring doesn't it?
Maybe they were giving me a clear signal not to waste my time organising any more similar challenges?
10-25-2007, 01:05 AM,
I think it was something to do in part with only a few members, Don't let their actions decide the overall satisfaction of all the members.
I'm sure many more enjoyed the show.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard