• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Shoot&Scoot...
09-27-2007, 01:01 PM,
RE: Shoot&Scoot...
I still think it's worth to "shoot ans scoot," even though your tank must reacquire the target each and every time, etc.. Since most Russian JS2's will go into reverse at the sight of many a large panzer, especially a KT tank, without firing a shot first. The shoot and scoot option is the only way to get them to take that one shot..

The next best thing using this tactic, is that even if the JS2 can not acquire and hit it's intended target (except the occasional lucky shot) it is still keeping the enemy in check, just by being there, etc..
Better that then a burning hulk,, :-)
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2007, 01:07 PM,
Skeld (FGM) Wrote:You should lose acquirement every time you lose los. Now I am getting this line of thinking from playing ASL long ago, so take that into consideration. I dont know exactly how the engine works, I am just going off of what I have observed in my playing.
You get more accurate with every shot so, at long range, the faster firing tank will hit more often and keep hitting. Resetting both sides back to initial hit probability benefits the slower firing tank, so is a good tactic for the big Russian guns.
09-27-2007, 01:16 PM,
McIvan...
I not know that... Good hint for me...lol

GoM
11-28-2009, 09:48 AM,
Reading the manual and it does not answer this question: If you set a tank to S&S and it moves out to the SHOOT position but the target is not there, does the tank back up, or just wait for a target to appear and if one does then shoots and scoots?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
11-28-2009, 12:46 PM,
From my past experiences it'll just sit there looking around for something to shoot...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-28-2009, 02:05 PM,
Ok, I was wondering that. Thanks.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
11-28-2009, 11:55 PM,
If a tank finishes the "fast" part of the S+S order and sees no target, it will sit there looking for targets but it will still scoot if no target is aquired after a certain period of time, what that time period is i don't know.
11-29-2009, 01:25 AM,
Joonny is right- I just tested it in the editor with 4 panzers and if the tank has no target it will sit there exactly 10 seconds and then back up. This is the same for greens, vets, crack, etc. - they all sit there 10 seconds. The time I remember the tank just sitting there must have been near the end of the minute or when it got knocked out before backing. Thanks for the correction, Joonny.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-29-2009, 05:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-29-2009, 11:11 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Yes the shoot/scoot order tells your tank to move fast forward to a point ahead; then stop for a few seconds and fire at anything he sees, before finally reversing back to safety.

1- In this test my Pz IIIH (short 50mm gun) is sitting behind a wood out of sight of 3x T-34/76's, he can't see them and they can't see him.
They're buttoned, moving right to left, and their turrets are facing forward, so with any luck he'll be able to do a shoot and scoot on them and fire before they can see him and react.
So in the order phase (below) I set his armour-arc to point at them and order a shoot-scoot, placing the 'shoot' waypoint a few metres ahead so he can peep around the corner of the wood, and placing the 'scoot' waypoint back at his start point-
[Image: scootA.jpg]

2- I start the turn and he rolls forward, stops and shoots. His first shot missed, but his second one hits-
[Image: scootB.jpg]

3- And about 10 seconds later (note clock) he's reversed safely back to his start point, the T-34's never even had time to spot him.
[Image: scootC.jpg]

Tactical summary- Shoot-scoot is best used if you think you can get away with squeezing off a shot or two before the enemy sees you and returns fire, so weigh up the odds; for example he should preferably be side or rear-on to you, or buttoned or moving, or low quality crew, or poor visibility to hamper his spotting, and have a slow turret traverse.
If he's a turretless SP gun you've got an excellent chance of hurting him because no way would he have time to pivot to face you before you scoot.
You can of course use shoot-scoot to peep around any sort of terrain, or even peep over hills into forbidden zones.
What will we find there Dr.Zaius?

"Your destiny"
[Image: DrZaius.jpg]
11-29-2009, 08:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-29-2009, 08:07 AM by Weasel.)
Outstanding info there, thanks POS.

Manuals are nice, but they only glaze the surface.