• Downloads

Shoot&Scoot...
09-25-2007, 08:07 AM,
RE: Shoot&Scoot...
gangofmao Wrote:Bootie/kineas...
thanx for the feedback...
and Bootie,yes i've learned to set my Arcs now,
after as you said,waiting on turrent to turn...lol
kineas,you're the first to say you use if often...
I never thought of using it in a duel before,
Thanx for the tip...

GoM

IMHO, it is the only way to use Marder/Columbina's against enemy armor. The real trick is in figuring out the relative LOS you need to attack the enemy, and then plotting it out with waypoints in the most efficient way possible.

IF used properly, the assault gun will move up or out into LOS, aim, fire and after firing, begin to retreat back into safety. This is a relatively long period of time if you mis judge your waypoints and "lean" out to far before shooting. This is especially so if you are fighting medium tanks or Allied gyro stabilizer equipped tanks that can swivel and fire upon you in less than 10 seconds.

Some things to note: if you can, make sure the enemy armor is buttoned. Use snipers or even fire with HMG/infantry if you must. Buttoning the enemy will give you a few extra seconds before he sees you and reacts.

Plot short waypoints for shoot and scoot, and make sure that your waypoints do not cause for the shooting and scooting tank to have to swivel at all before heading back out of LOS.

Keep your own crews "unbuttoned" if you can. You will need every second to see the enemy, aim and fire.

Keyhole attacks so that you are only facing one AFV at a time if you can. This is tricky LOS stuff, but benefits you by only allowing one tank to counterfire, instead of 3 or 4.

As mentioned above, use covered arc set at the LOS of enemy targets on a very narrow range. You want to be able to pick your target out of the crowd with a good covered arc.

Rotate attacks from different flanks if you can. Attack with a shoot and scoot from the left flank and when enemy target turns to engage you, coordinate a second shoot and scoot attack from the right flank. These attacks can take place in the same turn, but can also be a bit easier to handle when taking it one turn at a time.

Come into a QB game with shoot and scoot as a strategy... use Hellcats, BT-7, or other quick vehicles. You will be amazed at how effective they can be. Scout cars and ht's with guns should only be used in a shoot and scoot attack on enemy armor, and never engage the enemy. A 50mm Puma scout car on a road hill can cause a lot of grief for someone who is advancing on a flank, especially if the Puma moves into firing position along the road, and then rolls back quickly.

One of the greatest non shoot and scoot's ever used was by McIvan, who after encountering a StuG in early 1941, used his two BT-7's in concert, rushing one out in open ground along the STuG's firing path, causing it to swivel and chase the bounding BT-7, while a second BT-7 was set to lurch out 20-30 seconds later catching the StuG in the side. The STuG actually rotated back to the second BT-7 from what I remember him telling me, and the first BT-7 was able to scoot back into his flank and shoot the hell out of the StuG's meaty hindquarters.

Lots of tactics out their folks... it just takes a bit of imagination and guts.

Cheers!

Leto
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2007, 08:12 AM,
Well said Leto
09-25-2007, 08:35 AM,
...[hirr]Leto
Yes i'm finding it on both ends in a couple of Battles now,
if you can make them Swivel,
no matter how good the Gun they have,
it's not shooting...
it's spinning...
I find this works on AT Guns alone as well...

GoM
09-26-2007, 01:43 PM,
WoW!!!
made this work with a Romanian Tank...
in a QB Axis Probe...
LoL

GoM
09-27-2007, 05:24 AM,
In my experience all large Russian tanks JS2's and the likes, should use only shoot and scoot, unless enemy panzer they dueling with, can not possibly penetrate their frontal armor.
A JS2 tank fires (game wise speaking) only a round a minute. Why expose it to the enemy any longer, than it takes to aim and shoot it's one round.
Roll it back out of enemy's sight to reload and repeat the process once a minute, etc..
09-27-2007, 06:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2007, 06:56 AM by McIvan.)
Two rounds a minute for an IS-II, rarely three, but yeah your point still stands.
09-27-2007, 07:59 AM,
In the example of the low rof Stalin use of shoot and scoot, doesnt the loss of accuraccy due losing aquirement factor in as well?

Every time he rolls out to shoot he must reacquire his target.

This is one reason why I dont use it.
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. - Theodore Roosevelt
09-27-2007, 08:22 AM,
Skeld...
If you stay crew exposed,and a target line on,
does that kill acquire time?

GoM
09-27-2007, 08:50 AM,
You should lose acquirement every time you lose los. Now I am getting this line of thinking from playing ASL long ago, so take that into consideration. I dont know exactly how the engine works, I am just going off of what I have observed in my playing.
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. - Theodore Roosevelt
09-27-2007, 08:57 AM,
...Aloha Skeld
You an Old ASL player too?
lol
My Mods are all collecting dust here in Hawaii...
i Just had a Romanian Tank,if you can call it that...lol
Do a Scoot&Shoot against a T-34...
I kept them Crew Exposed,and had Target Line on them...
They did get first shot off,
and lived to tell about it...
but doubt they will do that again...
Damn Axis Minors...lol
But that the Challenge of Partisans/Axis Minors i like...

GoM