• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Shoot&Scoot...
12-01-2009, 07:43 AM,
RE: Shoot&Scoot...
Bert Blitzkrieg Wrote:On the disc there is a training scenario (can't rememeber the name) of which in the manual there is a "how to play" description.
It should be played as russian.

Advice in the manual is to use the shoot-and-scoot command a lot. It did work in that game. The more numerous JS2's were able to KO the Panthers and Tigers from long distance and while scooting could reload.

Nowadays I hardly use it, because it is hard to determine the spot from which your armour is supposed to shoot from. You want it right at the spot from which it can target the enemy armour, but since it is a "fast" command for the first part (and not "hunt"), your armour stops only at the end of that command line. If not plotted right, your own armour has been shot at already, before it stops and tries to acquire a target. Takes one shot, which usually misses, and retreats (during which it doesn't shoot either). Your opponent can shoot 3 maybe 4 times during the time your armour is visible, which gives it a great opportunity to kill the shooting-and scooting armour.

Perhaps it is better to give your armour a hunt command and a long pause, so that near the end of the turn the armour starts to move and can take its shot when it acquire a target and -hopefully- is still hulldown. During the next orderphase you can order it to retreat. Gives you a kind of hunt-and-scoot command.
Problem here of course is to set the right pause-time..

Ahhh, I guess that is what is happening to me. My marders are moving fwd on S&S and getting blasted by a lone KV that I cannot get at. I have lost 3 marders to this one KV now. I was thinking the first move would be a hunt, not a fast move. I like your idea, move fwd on a hunt and a reverse.

If you gave a hunt to a spot immediately followed by a reverse, would the marder shoot if it spotted a target, or would it just reverse as ordered?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2009, 10:39 AM,
I tend to use only 2 speeds for my tanks: full stop, and move fast. Tanks are much harder to hit while moving fast and if you are unaware of the enemy location, I do not want my tanks to stop moving where it will not be an advantage for them to do so, this will happen with the hunt order. Odds are the enemy will have more numbers to shoot at you with, or an ambush, or at least a terrain advantage. I only use hunt when I know where the enemy is and want to engage with my tank. Same goes with S&Scoot, only when I want to get a shot off otherwise just a fast-reverse order.
12-01-2009, 11:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2009, 11:35 AM by Mikey_FGM.)
Ya, well said Ratzki.

Tanks in CM usually have only two speeds: Full-fast-forward or All-stop...

Their either frantically dashing to their firing points, or firmly planted in the ground, firing at the enemy.

Plus, "fast move" keeps them in formation...
12-01-2009, 03:04 PM,
My limited game experience has shown full speed to be full speed into certain death. Ahh, the misery of being a boot!
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha