• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Why I miss old clickies: a lament...
08-28-2007, 08:19 AM,
RE: Why I miss old clickies: a lament...
Interesting points Monsewer Le Coil. I do agree that it had its uses as an aggregate indicator on how board members view the reputation of a person as expressed through their collective posts.

The "good post encouragement" theory has a lot of merit and it is quite true that the present system does not achieve that (nor, I guess, was it intended to do so).

Coil is also spot on that some members have unattainable "reputation" based on the old system....it should all be calculated with the new system if thats how we are going. I know that would gut my rep points but so be it....I shouldn't actually have them if we are being consistent.

The rep point change was a bit of a bombshell in terms of forewarning....the hack of the server I guess giving rise to the opportunity to change a few things on the way back from disaster. Having nibbled around the new system's edges for a while, I personally feel that the blunt instrument of green OR red OR neutral fails at giving a satisfactory vehicle for opinion on a member, because it is always in the present and of necessity obscures historical conduct each time you change it. If someone has been a pain in the backside for a long time, but do something worthy, you are stuck with the dilemma that you can't give them a small pat on the back...you either ignore their worthy act OR give them a rep point that indicates your complete satisfaction with their conduct. The point was that multiple clickies gave a cumulative shading of opinion that allowed more nuance and accuracy, as well as allowing a "pat on the back" without that amounting to unqualified approval. Sure it could be used for people giving each other clickies for fun. I don't know that that was much of a problem. The people getting higher and higer reps seemed to be the ones contributing by far the most to the day to day posting on the Forum, especially in terms of AARs....it looked like it was pretty much spot on from where I was sitting.

I would hate to lose you two from the boards as your energetic postings were and are great value, and you always manage three paras where one would normally do :) And I note that Col T has basically been absent as well.....for the same reason?

The reputation system is not, btw, within my control, and it is a forum wide system, so the collective opinion of this board is only one element. We are however probably the only board with some members that actually care one way or the other! So perhaps that will count for something.
08-28-2007, 08:24 AM,
[hirr Wrote:Leto]
FYI, my posting days at the blitz are numbered here as well. No more stunning DAR's and tactical posts.

There is really no point anymore, for personally, my enjoyment came from the feedback, interchange and fun value of the clicky system.

This is no indictment of the mods, as the clicky decision was a general forum move.

C'ya all, it's been fun.

Cheers!

Leto
Although I can't ignore that this seems a bit of an overreaction....surely there was a bit more to the forum than clickies? I seem to recall you, Coil and Col T having a lot of fun with the DARs and associated taunting threads before shifting onto clickies.

Don't do a Spike on me Cry
08-28-2007, 09:08 AM,
McIvan Wrote:
FYI, my posting days at the blitz are numbered here as well. No more stunning DAR's and tactical posts.

There is really no point anymore, for personally, my enjoyment came from the feedback, interchange and fun value of the clicky system.

This is no indictment of the mods, as the clicky decision was a general forum move.

C'ya all, it's been fun.

Cheers!

Leto
Although I can't ignore that this seems a bit of an overreaction....surely there was a bit more to the forum than clickies? I seem to recall you, Coil and Col T having a lot of fun with the DARs and associated taunting threads before shifting onto clickies.

Don't do a Spike on me Cry

Compared to Spike.

*shudder*

No M8, I'm not demanding anything. It's just that the clicky system previous GAVE me a REAL incentive to post here.

I respect the Blitz staff for what its doing and its reasons why they changed the system.

I honestly really did get a lot of satisfaction from the clicky system as it was though, and I anticipate that I won't be posting a lot here now because of it, mostly because of how I have reacted to it subconciously thus far.

As you can see, I have not posted a whole lot since the change came in, so this is just a reconfirmation of the "why" of it. The boards (AAR and tactics especially) have been quiet.

I suspect that from the voluminous gobs of prose written by the Coil, he feels the same way, and I know Dave does as well (although his absense is explained by other things atm).

Lastly, I also feel ripped off that some people had their rep scores halved while others did not. That's just the pure 8 year old in me though, and doesn't really make or break anything.

The board will live on with out our clicky hooliganery (is that a word?) and posts... I am quite sure.

Cheers!

Leto
08-28-2007, 11:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2007, 11:07 AM by RedDevil.)
I find this whole debate quite humorous,and the fact that posters are leaving and/or just not posting here now because of the limitations of a reputations system, that was IMHO being abused or recklessly administrated, because members can't give multiple points to each other, is abound with negativity

No disrespect to anyone, but I do find that absurd (and POS-like) and also lacking of many qualitative traits and actions towards, not only to the Site, but to the members, who look forward to the posts of tactical intrigue and stunning DARs with photos and humorous quips.

One simply has to post on other forums to spark a debate and find the general consensus of that ladder group. Instead of a lamentation of something that needs club wide opinion in order to initiate changes in just this area, why not organize your efforts towards getting a club wide involvement for the changes you feel are beneficial to everyone, rather than just stop posting here?

There have been 3100+ rep points given since the start of the system,(according to the DB) so you guys are not the only ones using it :)
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
08-28-2007, 11:21 AM,
I respect the Blitz staff for what its doing and its reasons why they changed the system.
Just a quick clarification:we didn't changed the rep. system because we wanted to,but because we've been forced to. :) Well,maybe some of us prefer the new system over the old one,but basically we've been technically forced to switch to this new one.The previous Mybb version,which was opened to exploits-had a rep. system where multiple clickies were allowed.The latest version-the one we're currently using-only allows for one clickie.Why the mybb team implemented this change is beyond be.I guess,someone with some spare time could find the reasons here?
http://community.mybboard.net/
Send this user an email
08-28-2007, 12:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2007, 12:08 PM by Mad Russian.)
And the bottom line is..."we care because?"

I didn't even know where to check my reputation points. Reason...I could care less.

If I upset someone enough with a post here they will tell me.

If I have someone think my post was insightful they will tell me.

A few green or red collectable buttons mean nothing.

I do think if you are man enough to give one you should be man enough to let the person know who you are.

Otherwise who cares?

POS?

He doesn't care. He's just looking for a reason to move on. Any reason would have worked just as well as the rep system. He was just wanting out is all. Happens wherever he goes. As soon as the adulation stops so does his participation on the site. It's nothing personal. It's just POS.

Anybody else get bent out of shape enough to leave over it? Or to complain incessantly about it? WELL...maybeeeeeeeeeee COIL!!!! :hissy:

But most of us just go on with or without COIL...:rolleyes:

:whis:

So, time to move on. Is this what we spend our time discussing? What your reputation looks like? If that's the case then you have to ask yourself why you're here in the first place and CM doesn't seem to be very high on that list from where I sit.

Good Hunting.

MR
08-28-2007, 12:07 PM,
RedDevil Wrote:No disrespect to anyone, but I do find that absurd (and POS-like) and also lacking of many qualitative traits and actions towards, not only to the Site, but to the members, who look forward to the posts of tactical intrigue and stunning DARs with photos and humorous quips.

You will always be squarely in the "I can catch more flies with vinegar camp", won't you?

: )

raz_atoth Wrote:Just a quick clarification:we didn't changed the rep. system because we wanted to,but because we've been forced to. Well,maybe some of us prefer the new system over the old one,but basically we've been technically forced to switch to this new one.The previous Mybb version,which was opened to exploits-had a rep. system where multiple clickies were allowed.The latest version-the one we're currently using-only allows for one clickie.

Thanks Raz, like I said before, I'm not blaming anyone for this...

Just got sucked into the insidious coil plot to lure me into posting by starting another clicky thread. I'll know better next time.

; )

Cheers!

Leto
08-28-2007, 01:01 PM,
"I can catch more flies with vinegar camp"

Ermmmm.... can you catch flies with vinegar??
08-28-2007, 03:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2007, 05:15 PM by The Coil.)
Mad Russian Wrote:A few green or red collectable buttons mean nothing.

I know...I pretty much argued this in the first post of the thread. Maybe you should go back and read it.

Incidentally, why the heck do we keep ladder stats...they "mean nothing". Why do you design scenarios? Seems pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things. That's the problem with the "I can't believe you care about that" argument...you can keep going til you hit "curing cancer" or "world peace". Everything else is, by comparison, insignificant.

Mad Russian Wrote:Anybody else get bent out of shape enough to leave over it? Or to complain incessantly about it? WELL...maybeeeeeeeeeee COIL!!!! :hissy:

But most of us just go on with or without COIL...:rolleyes:

I'm not leaving over it. Never said I was. This is a strange use of "incessantly". I was just observing a function the clickie system played. I don't think I've really complained much about the system at all.

I would hope you "go on with or without" me. I would be surprised to find out anyone here would feel differently. Have I given the impression that I think I'm indispensible? Sorry if I have...

Mad Russian Wrote:So, time to move on. Is this what we spend our time discussing? What your reputation looks like?

No, we've been talking about how the clickie system used to work, and how it works now, and the various effects that's produced. Read more carefully. I don't think anyone has expressed any real concern about their reputation score (except maybe Leto, but with lots of caveats and tongue-in-cheekness, I thought). (I believe I addressed this earlier...you really should read the earlier posts in this thread...there's some good stuff in there)

Mad Russian Wrote:If that's the case then you have to ask yourself why you're here in the first place and CM doesn't seem to be very high on that list from where I sit.

You've got to be kidding. I think you take your CM a bit too seriously. Are you really questioning if my commitment to CM is strong enough to warrant my being here? I'm here because it's fun. I play CM because it's fun. I'm sorry if I'm not committed enough to join you in building better life for us all through constructing a Combat Mission Utopia...you will, as you say, have to go on without me. I wish you luck. It's strange to me that you seem to view Combat Mission as some sort of high purpose and calling, that should only be enjoyed by the truly dedicated, but that's fine by me. What I really don't get is why it would bother you if I don't. I think I missed the "are you committed enough to post on this board" quiz when I registered.
08-28-2007, 04:52 PM,
RedDevil Wrote:I find this whole debate quite humorous,and the fact that posters are leaving and/or just not posting here now because of the limitations of a reputations system, that was IMHO being abused or recklessly administrated, because members can't give multiple points to each other, is abound with negativity.

And yet that seems to be happening. Leto is the only one I know of who has said he's leaving because of it. His motivations are his own. I find it humorous that other people are so upset by it. Plenty of people probably think it's silly you spend so much of your time running a message board for a video game, and would call that both humorous and absurd. Yet, here you are still doing it. I appreciate it, by the way.

RedDevil Wrote:No disrespect to anyone, but I do find that absurd (and POS-like) and also lacking of many qualitative traits and actions towards, not only to the Site, but to the members, who look forward to the posts of tactical intrigue and stunning DARs with photos and humorous quips.

I distrust any statement that contains the words "no disrespect" followed by absurd and POS-like... :)

Those members should get off their duffs and post useful stuff then, instead of watching Leto and I dance for clickies.

RedDevil Wrote:One simply has to post on other forums to spark a debate and find the general consensus of that ladder group. Instead of a lamentation of something that needs club wide opinion in order to initiate changes in just this area, why not organize your efforts towards getting a club wide involvement for the changes you feel are beneficial to everyone, rather than just stop posting here?

Because I don't want to organize anything. That sounds like work. I'm here for fun and relaxation. I'm going to stop posting here because my wife is having a baby. I don't think I've ever said it has anything to do with clickies. I'm not trying to change anything. I'm simply observing the effects a change has had.

RedDevil Wrote:There have been 3100+ rep points given since the start of the system,(according to the DB) so you guys are not the only ones using it :)

Ok. Did anyone ever assert that we were?