• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Col T DAR - The Reason why you [hear]Leto scream in his DAR
08-08-2007, 09:48 AM,
RE: Col T DAR - The Reason why you [hear]Leto scream in his DAR
just get 150 snipers.... he'll never know what hit him...
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2007, 09:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2007, 10:00 AM by Fullhouse.)
Quote:I have also been thinking about getting 3 platoons of pzIVs (15 tanks) and regular battalion - full POS fist

Last 5000 point assault I played my foe came at me with a massive amount of armour. A flood of soviet steel.

At first things went well for him, he concentrated all the armour at one break through point and crushed everything in his path. However when it came to taking and holding the flags he came unstuck. I was able to shred off his infantry support which meant he had to hold flags with tanks. When he attempted to do this my infantry (I had only bought 5 tanks) was able to close assault his tanks and cause him considerable casualties. For most of the game I was well behind but in the last 4 or 5 turns (out of 45) I was able to reverse that trend and come out with a minor victory.

I find tanks offer the opfor leverage on their force picks. There are alot of points tied up in tanks and they can be killed by something relatively cheap.

If you can stand them off at range and pound the opfor that is great, but you must allways have the foot stompers to go in and hold the important ground.
08-08-2007, 11:42 AM,
Fullhouse Wrote:If you can stand them off at range and pound the opfor that is great, but you must allways have the foot stompers to go in and hold the important ground.

I consider myself the standard bearer for infantry dominance in CM - so I couldnt agree more with you. But I have this desire to do something very different than normal.

Of course, one shouldn't really test out new strategies against against top notch opponents, unless I are willing to lose - which I am not. I would rather win than test out a strange kit - but I just cant help myself.
08-08-2007, 01:36 PM,
Colonel Talvela Wrote:Of course, one shouldn't really test out new strategies against against top notch opponents, unless I are willing to lose

True, but I think you might catch him napping with the armor heavy OOB. At least, I are thinking so... ;)
08-09-2007, 08:27 AM,
Well after much deliberation - not really - proding from Leto actually - I decided on my picks.

I really wanted to get the mechanized pionerr battalion & I also really wanted to use the conscript battalion, but I just didnt have the guts for either of those. I dont think I could win with them. So this is what I decided on, which is kind of related in a way that I am sure the coil could invent:

-Green Cavalry 44B squad (2 rifles/4 SMG/2 lmg/22 ammo; 12 HMGs; 3 81mm art) - 1199
- Vet Volk Fus Company (7SMG sqds, 75mm, 2 HMGs, 2 81m mortars) - 584
- Green PzIV platoon (5 vehicles) -
- 1 Vet Hetzer - 116
- Green 105 StuH platoon (3 vehicles) -
- 2 Vet Panzershrek - 33 each
- 1 green 20mm flak
- 1 Reg Grille (150mm)

The plan will be to do a broad advance across the entire map with the green cavalry battalion and use them to find the enemy spots and saturate them with heavy small arms fire. With only 22 ammo, I will have to split into half squads every turn to get maximum power from the 2 lmgs in each squad. But the 2lmgs will be very powerful and I expect to be able to break a number of units with just small arms fire. I havent seen the map yet, but on one side I plan to advance with a POS-esque tank pack and the Vet fusilers and just roll up a flank. The Vet Hetzer will hide out in the middle and basically look for a keyhole shot on any tanks trying to adjust to my tank pack. The shreks will be my first AT defense for any big russian tanks.

Go tell Leto that this is the best Kit selection you have ever seen and that his best bet is to hit the surrender button now.
08-09-2007, 08:37 AM,
If I looked into my crystal ball (aka leto's dar) this is what I imagine the force selection will be:

Reg mountain battalion. It has a good mix of shooters plus 3 11 man SMG squads & 2 81mm spotters and is priced at 1556. Leto has a fondness for AP mines, so I expect at least 50 points worth of those - which leaves about 400 points for anti-tank units. SU100 if he goes for armor and some 57mm guns I am sure.
08-09-2007, 02:34 PM,
The attack Plan

[Image: letoattackplan.jpg]

The Green dots are my Green platoons (clever I know) and where I plan on setting them up as a base of fire or to assault from. The blue dots are where I will put my vet platoons in a reserve.

I plan on taking the left side first and then swinging to take the right. The hetzer and 1 pzIV will be the only tanks on the right. I will show them first hoping leto will think my main advance in on the right.

The left side is sparce enough where I think the 7 AFVs will pound everything in sight.
08-09-2007, 05:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2007, 05:03 PM by 10th Mnt Div jdsu.)
Interesting choice.

Certainly not what I would expect from you. Perhaps you will have the element of surprise.

Not sure why you bought the 20mm Flak - do peeps buy soviet airplanes?
08-09-2007, 11:43 PM,
I have have been trashed by airplanes too many times not to buy flak if air is a potential threat. For me it is hard to not do something to hedge against that risk at only 23 points.
01-09-2008, 06:43 AM,
Five months later we continue.

Turn 3
[Image: AL05.jpg]

I am advancing across the map in a hurry when a nasty Russian appears ahead of his defense line and causes two casualties.

Leto later reveals this is just a TH scout, but the psychological damage has been done. I could probably go another couple turns without slowing my advance, but I just dont want to risk it. I start splitting squads and bounding from cover to cover. Saves Leto at least a turn - and in a tight game that could make a significant difference

The point: in defense games when time is an issue (and when I defend it is always an issue) this is an important thing to remember.