• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Col T DAR - The Reason why you [hear]Leto scream in his DAR
08-07-2007, 04:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2007, 04:14 PM by Colonel Talvela.)
Col T DAR - The Reason why you [hear]Leto scream in his DAR
What to buy what to buy. According to Battlefront, this isnt a fun part of the game - hmmph. Anyways, I have an wild CM hair that really needs itching.

Anybody - besides POS - want to help me pick my force selection for this Mar 45 German attack on Leto's Russians. Large map lots of trees.

I have never attacked Leto, but since he mentioned in his other DAR that he expected me to get a Guards battalion, I assume that there is a high probability that is what I will be facing.

Here is where I am tossing around in my head:
Option 1
- Conscript 45 Infantry battalion (5 rifles/2smg/1lmg 41 ammo; 12 HMGs; 81 & 120mm spotter) - 954 points
- Vet King Tiger - 557
- Vet PzGren Company (4 shreks, 4 HMGs, 2 81mm mortars) - 704
- Vet Volk Fus Company (7SMG sqds, 75mm, 2 HMGs, 2 81m mortars) - 584
- Reg 105mm spotter wire not radio - 148

The theory here would be to just try to get the conscript inf and HMGs into position and then pin his troops with enormous amounts of fire. Add in 4 artillery spotters & 4 mortars to help assault the weak points. The 4 shreks and the KT are for anti-armor duty.

Option 2
-Reg Inf Battalion 44s (9smg squads, 6 HMGs, 81/120 art, 18 shreks!!) 1560
- Vet Volk Fus Company (7SMG sqds, 75mm, 2 HMGs, 2 81m mortars)584
- 6 grn 105 StuHs
- 1 grn Stug
- 2 20mm flak

With this force my goal would be to KO all his tanks with my 18 shreks. My armor would simply be for HE purpose only. Of course if he is armor light, then I have wasted about 300 points

Option 3
-Green Cavalry 44B squad (2 rifles/4 SMG/2 lmg/22 ammo; 12 HMGs; 3 81mm art) - 1199
- Vet Volk Fus Company (7SMG sqds, 75mm, 2 HMGs, 2 81m mortars) - 584
- Reg Panther platoon (5 vehicles) -1018
- 1 Vet Hetzer - 116
- 1 Crack Sharpshooter -
- 1 Reg Panzershrek -
- 1 green 20mm flak

with this group I would do a broad advance across the entire map with the green cavalry battalion and use them to find the enemy spots and saturate them with heavy small arms fire. With only 22 ammo, I will have to split into half squads every turn to get maximum power from the 2 lmgs in each squad. On one side I would advance with a POS-esque Panther pack and the Vet fusilers and just roll up a flank. The Vet Hetzer would hide out in the middle and basically look for a keyhole shot on any tanks trying to adjust to my panther pack. The shrek would guard the non POS-pack flank from any tanks that would be pounding my infantry.

I have never used any of these troop formations before, so they all seem very intriguing to me. Anybody have an opinion on the above, or any other force selection that seems unusual.
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2007, 07:42 PM,
RE: Col T DAR - The Reason why you [hear]Leto scream in his DAR
Well I think you should come right out of left field at him, you're known as an infantry/mortar freak so come at him fully motorised (on a heavy tree map too - the surprise will be overwhelming :smoke:)

Fluidwills Picks:

All from LW Mechanised

Reg Aufklarungs Co Armoured - not the light one - 1837pts
A ton of fire power and all mobile.
Conscript Rocket Spotter - the cheap one, 150mm? - 218pts
Green PSW 234/1 Plt 285pts
2 x Reg StgIIIG (late) plt - 2x285 = 570pts
6 x Crck Tank Hunter Teams 6x15 = 90pts

The plan works like this, Leto will be AT light expecting your usual infantry swarm - pre plot your rockets and work round their arrival the idea with the rockets being to get a good area cowering at a given time and you can close up more than usual being fully armoured.

First wave the Tank Hunters who are your scouts and (surprise) tank hunters. Second wave the armoured cars are sacrificial lambs to get Leto to expose his guns which along with his (predicted) few tanks are your main threat. Your strength is your overwhelming firepower and your worst enemies light guns and heavy tanks/SP guns as my pick is light on heavy AT firepower. At the ranges you'll be engaging though your infantry has good chance of fausting anything the Stugs cant handle, light guns could cause carnage so all suspected/ID'd positions need to be plastered toot sweet use the big ammo loadouts on your HT's and AC's to spray every patch of woods and as soon as anything starts fireing back swamp it in a deluge of 75mm HE from the Stummels and Stugs. Grit your teeth, exchange off his ranged AT assets and enjoy the end game as your infantry storm the flags under the covering firepower of your remaining vehicles. I confidently predict he will run out of guns and tanks long before you run out of armoured vehicles.

Of your picks IMHO only option 2 flies, option 3 is interesting but the Cav squads are so ammo light as to be practically useless.

My 2 pence, good luck to you sir.
08-07-2007, 08:05 PM,
Option 1 is extremely interesting, would be a real challenge. Option 2 is your best.

I usually go for regular infantry, sometimes green, sometimes a few vet. Conscripts would be a real gutsy move on the attack. I've tried it once in CMBO, it actually went ok, but infantry was more robust in that game.

Personally I like the Grenadier 45 battalion plus maybe a pioneer coy backed with some HE chuckers and a bit of AT.
08-07-2007, 09:13 PM,
I personally would advise NOT buying a KT, Experience shows that these tanks are vulnerable to light gun/ ATR swarm tactics and get knocked out from immobilizing and gun hits. JagD IV(lates) and Brumbars are best for assaulting, but weak on flank hits, so you gotta keep them facing the enemy. Even a regular Tiger is nice to blast away stuff with these days(mar'45) and it may survive, considering the 100mm ATG is still expensive and rare, he might be packing some 85s tho, which you'll need to find quickly :)
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
08-07-2007, 11:33 PM,
fluidwill Wrote:Reg Aufklarungs Co Armoured - not the light one - 1837pts
A ton of fire power and all mobile.
Conscript Rocket Spotter - the cheap one, 150mm? - 218pts
Green PSW 234/1 Plt 285pts
2 x Reg StgIIIG (late) plt - 2x285 = 570pts
6 x Crck Tank Hunter Teams 6x15 = 90pts

At first I thought this was just nuts, but the more i think about it the more I might give it a try. Another major problem could be lots of ATRs - that actually is my biggest worry. Well and only have 1 company of infantry. I am an infantry guy and that is just not enough for me - hmmm.

And yes, a KT isnt the "optimal" choice. I am wanting to do something crazy, but viable.
08-08-2007, 12:33 AM,
Swap the rockets and AC's for more infantry?
08-08-2007, 12:35 AM,
I gave consideration to ATR's too but considered that with it being Mar 45 you'd be unlucky to run into hoards of them, given your usual picks Leto would surely view them as wasted points....
08-08-2007, 01:18 AM,
actually I am now thinking about the LW armored Pio battalion - 2800 points, plus a green and a reg hetzer to round out the 3000. That would give me lots of flamers and satchels - which I love - and a means to transport them. But I would still be vulnerable to t34s

Another issue would be losing a lot of HTs would be a significant points hit - perhaps enough to nullify getting the majority of the flags.

I have also been thinking about getting 3 platoons of pzIVs (15 tanks) and regular battalion - full POS fist

LOL - so many choices.
08-08-2007, 02:16 AM,
Colonel Talvela Wrote:I have also been thinking about getting 3 platoons of pzIVs (15 tanks) and regular battalion - full POS fist

I've become a big fan of the pzIV heavy force pick. Usually the defender doesn't come with enough AT assests to neutralize it, and with 40+ HE rounds per tank, you can just area fire anything suspicious. I've used the 3 platoons of tanks, company of SMGers riding them, couple preplotted conscript mortar barrages on likely gun spots to good effect a couple times (ask Nort about it). The problem is you're open to devastation if the defender has one well placed gun or something (ask RedDevil about that...). But if Leto is expecting you to come infantry heavy, you could catch him on his heels...

Or you could always go with the all LMG attack. 500 conscript LMGs on the move is something to be reckoned with...
08-08-2007, 06:47 AM,
fluidwill Wrote:I gave consideration to ATR's too but considered that with it being Mar 45 you'd be unlucky to run into hoards of them, given your usual picks Leto would surely view them as wasted points....

The Guards battalion includes a whole heap of ATRs as standard...