• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

good old slagging match going on at battlrfront
07-31-2007, 03:49 PM,
RE: good old slagging match going on at battlrfront
I think those two cards are pretty comparable...same generation anyway, ie about three back.

I believe what you need is a video card capable of utilising directX 9...that seems to me could be the problem. I'm not sure a 5600 will do so.

You might need to upgrade. I would think that you should be able to get something like a GForce 6600 very very cheap, if you wanted. Ie a fair bit less than $100. That ought to be fast enough to run it....but making no guarantees on larger scenarios, since I've only played the demo.

My rig is an athlon 3800 with 2 gig of ram and a GF7800GT....there's been no peceptible slowdown for me at all, whatever the settings. A GF 6600 is one generation back from that.
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2007, 04:09 PM,
My graphics card is nvidia gs 8800 640 meg card !! I cant play CM at all :-(. But CMSF I can :-), I have made one vowl never buy a game with out playing the demo ever again !!

I want buildings to blow up and fall apart, also walls would be nice .
07-31-2007, 04:24 PM,
Well, let it be a lesson for you who preordered.

The 1:1 representation is the future, but the game right now is a bugfest. Not that it would count.

No more bitching from me, but personally I'll spend the money on a nice ASL:SK box or something.
07-31-2007, 05:37 PM,
Sounds like all you guys who pre-ordered are finding out what its like to be a beta-tester for the game ! (reminds me of all those people who bought windows vista !).

Enjoy the bug hunting guys !
07-31-2007, 07:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2007, 07:58 PM by jomni.)
McIvan Wrote:I believe what you need is a video card capable of utilising directX 9...that seems to me could be the problem. I'm not sure a 5600 will do so.

CMSF uses OpenGL.
From what i hear in the Battlefront forums. The new cards are having problems (coping with OpenGL) while the older ones are fine. Quite strange.

Regarding 1:1 representation:

If you want a real 1:1 representation, where everyone moves and acts as they should be in real life... play an FPS or even Full Spectrum Warrior.

The game engine, although it tries to give you FPS quality visuals, is still built to be primarily a strategy game and abstractions do exist...
Send this user an email
07-31-2007, 08:07 PM,
Antoni Chmielowski (FGM) Wrote:Sounds like all you guys who pre-ordered are finding out what its like to be a beta-tester for the game ! (reminds me of all those people who bought windows vista !).

Maybe if we all started asking for refunds Battlefront might take fixing the bugs a little more seriously. Big Grin

As for bug hunting, i feel like one of the soldiers from the film Starship Troopers. :smg:

cheers
07-31-2007, 08:21 PM,
Fubar Wrote:
Antoni Chmielowski (FGM) Wrote:Sounds like all you guys who pre-ordered are finding out what its like to be a beta-tester for the game ! (reminds me of all those people who bought windows vista !).

Maybe if we all started asking for refunds Battlefront might take fixing the bugs a little more seriously. Big Grin
cheers

"All sales are final"
07-31-2007, 08:25 PM,
jomni Wrote:If you want a real 1:1 representation, where everyone moves and acts as they should be in real life... play an FPS or even Full Spectrum Warrior.

FPS soldiers are real players, who always pursue fun and action, and the resulting battle is not even close to a 'realistic' one. Believe me, I played in enough FPS tournaments and organized battles, you are still better off with CMx1. Besides, suppression basically doesn't exist in an FPS battle.
07-31-2007, 08:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2007, 08:34 PM by Thor.)
kineas Wrote:"All sales are final"

Yeah...more chance of getting blood out of a rock. Big Grin

cheers
07-31-2007, 10:01 PM,
the FX 5200 card is about the same as the radeon one you have Pete, as Ivan says .. about 3 steps back from the current slew of top of the line models right now.

I shopped online for geforce cards (I hate ATIs for their non fog attitudes on CM) and surprisingly there are many nice 256 meg cards out there for under 75$ (with rebates of course)
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory....ideo-Cards

It's all a matter of knowing if you have an older PCi slot or can use an AGP or PCi e slot to buy the right one.

http://www.directron.com/expressguide.html