all good fun
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2007, 07:59 AM,
RE: good old slagging match going on at battlrfront
I added my 2 cents :)
07-30-2007, 08:36 AM,
Wow.... thats harsh... you said on the FGM its...

"it's a GREAT addition to the CM family IMO"

Yet on the BF boards you said...

"I wanted an CM game and this fails to deliver anything that was expected for the money"

So... whats it to be punk!!!

;)

07-30-2007, 09:39 AM,
it's a mixed bag of feelings here, the CONS outweigh the pros, even if it is a nice addition, it's lacking in substance in regards to the prior CM experience.

I like the new graphics, the new features.. I hate the fecking camera and the BF asskissers response to everything that it's an asymmetrical simulation, not a wargame.
I wanted a wargame... I can go buy Halo 2 or the Sims if I wanted an asymmetrical simulation

what a sloppy PR group they got IMO

I'm still playing it and will continue to try to give it a chance, but initially I'm a tad disappointed.

07-30-2007, 09:45 AM,
For sure it's no replacement for CMx1.....what a shame. :hissy:

cheers
07-30-2007, 11:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2007, 12:09 PM by von Nev.)
07-30-2007, 11:51 AM,
just play the demo to death. ;)
it's free and it comes with the mission editor.
although you'll be limited to the two maps that are unlocked only.
mulitplayer is unlocked as well.
Send this user an email
07-30-2007, 11:51 AM,
RE:��good old slagging match going on at battlrfront
07-30-2007, 12:20 PM,
have a go at Galactic Civilisations II if you want a MOOII replacement....class :)

I tried the demo yesterday, playing US in the training scen and Syrians in the bigger scen. Got total victories both times on veteran difficulty, using RTS and not hitting the pause button basically because I couldn't find it and hadn't read the manual. Took out the M1s with flank hits.....a T72 can hit perfectly well from 1km or so.

The AI is apparently heavily dependent on the scenario designer, so is perhaps more scripted than "intelligent".

I think the demo has a few bugs and does not have the full TacAI implemented....for example the AI infantry never did launch a Javelin at my T72s....or maybe that was because they were getting cut to pieces in the open? If there was one thing that was obvious, it was that infantry in the open have a very short life expectancy.

I found giving orders much more clunky than CMx1...you can't use hotkeys because the hotkeys do different things depending on which orders panel is open. Also having to right click to execute orders is annoying....kept clicking on another vehicle only to find this plotted another movement order for the previously selected squad.

I'm intrigued by it nonetheless, and will give the demo another go as the US in the big scen. I will also try out the game using turn based....which, given the lack of borg spotting, seems to me to be pretty much essential....you've got to take your time to consider your situation from the vantage point of various squads to get a full picture. My infantry had a good sightline to all the US armour, whereas the first inkling my T72's got was the first one blowing up as an M1A2 levelled it :) Fortunately the second T72 sucked up three hits while it was dying, and by then the rest of my T72s had picked up the Abrams and started to return fire. That was quite realistic.

Will I buy the full version? Probably.....but will wait a while. There's a lot of issues they need to get sorted. I suspect there was the same kind of thing when CMBO was released, seeing as that went up to 12 patches.....I wasn't into CM then.
07-30-2007, 01:12 PM,
RE:��good old slagging match going on at battlrfront