• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

good old slagging match going on at battlrfront
07-30-2007, 07:15 PM,
RE: good old slagging match going on at battlrfront
The direction what BFC took with the CMx2 disappoints me very much. This is a cool game, but I don't consider it as a wargame, mainly for two reasons:

- Wego mode is just an afterthought, moreover, it's broken (in the demo at least)
- Too much happening under the hood. Nothing is revealed about the underlying damage model, physics etc. Virtually no stats (not even kill stats after the game) to adjust your decisions upon. No numbers, just icons to please the RT players etc.

I don't know the definition of wargaming, but for me it only means decision games.
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2007, 11:39 AM,
they're going into realism.
as a commander you don't see the stats during the battle.
but one major pain is that you need to baby sit all your troops!!!
i'm not liking this.
Send this user an email
07-31-2007, 12:14 PM,
I'm part of the group that expected this to be a super Combat Mission x1 with all the great characteristics of the originals and some sorely need additions.
I might be bitching up a storm over on BF forums, and they deserve to hear some bitching, but I'm still trying to sort out this CM-SF game to the point of actually making it work for me.

At this time, my biggest regret is pre-ordering under the assumption it was a modernized CM.
The whole game is a completely different animal with only the Combat mission name in front of shock force. Even more disappointing to me however was to find that it's really a real time shooter style simulation of a war, with a VERY clunky UI and mucho AI deficiencies.

Many of the bugs can and will be fixed in the future, I'm sure, but will I be playing this as long as the original CMs? Probably not, especially when BF comes out with add on MODs that cost money to get. I've lost my confidence in BF's ability to deliver a quality wargame, let alone a RT sim.

I got some of the BF guys looking at the bugs and quirks I've found so far but have my doubts on the replay value of the game even after it's patched up to a suitable level of playability.

There's some neat and cool stuff, but I really wanted meat with my potatoes, not soybeans and rice cakes. Wargames are are tiny niche market, I can understand BF's efforts to reach a larger market to survive. However, I do wish they had NOT used the CM name to market something that's completely off the mark from the original series and lead me to believe I was getting something similar, but improved upon in the series of CM games.

I am trying to forget all I know and want about CMx1, while playing this new game and give it a chance to grow on me, but it's so hard when it was "branded" into my mind that I was getting a CM wargame :)

07-31-2007, 12:23 PM,
Well there are good things and bad things. I am sure that the actual bugs will get worked out. I am unhappy about some of the design decisions, but I am willing to give the game a chance as is.

and there is no doubt that watching those javelins and the MK19 grenade launcher is just cool.

And I really like the art/air interface. Even though it takes a few clicks it feels more like an FO than CMx1.

07-31-2007, 12:45 PM,
yeh I agree some of the stuff is awesome to watch, but I didn't want to watch I wanted to flank and kill :P

I'm still having issues with getting my Javs to nuke some Ts but we'll get it out soon enough..

So far I've had a single UBER t72 take over 30 hits from 300 meters from 4 Abrams and after a minute, drive out of the dust cloud, and shoot all 4 of my Abrams dead with single shot each... This has been the utmost disgusting bug/flaw to date.. LOL

07-31-2007, 12:47 PM,
Own a computer that can't handle the graphics. That will nip your heartburn in a jiff.

Tried to load a scenario from the demo to watch the eye candy, and the damn thing seized my beast.

: )

Cheers!

Leto
07-31-2007, 12:55 PM,
you need a new Vid card Pete, what are you using?
I have a spare GeForce FX5200 AGP 8 128 meg card that might let you start the game up :)
07-31-2007, 01:00 PM,
Pete has a laptop that would struggle with Pacman :)

I have an old PIII 700 that he can have...couple that with the FX5200 and he'd be....ermmm....exactly where he is now :)
07-31-2007, 02:14 PM,
That laptop is just my traveling roadshow machine...

My home machine is a P4 1.7Ghz 786MB RAM with a Radeon 9600 PRO Vid card...

I suspect the Vid card needs to be replaced.

Randy, is that vid card of yours better than mine??

(I know, I am a complete non-computer geek, don't make fun)

Cheers!

Leto

07-31-2007, 03:25 PM,
I only have a radeon 7200 (64MB) video card, and my CMSF runs decent enough. And i only have 786MB Ram as well - but I do have a 2.3 ghz p4.

I would think your 9200 could run it on the lowest settings. Are you sure you have the latest drivers?