• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

NGP^85 -- Self Propelled SAM ?
07-23-2007, 04:16 PM,
RE:��NGP^85 -- Self Propelled SAM ?
tazaaron Wrote:I have SAMS with a range more than 3, the SA-6 has a range of 12 but a minumum of 3.

Aaron

Maximum SAM range can only be as far as maximum visibility in the scenario. Hence, unless the current visibility is 12, the SA-6 unit you created will never fire that far.

Regards,
CptCav
Edmund Burke (1729-1797): "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Ronald Reagan: “Détente: isn’t that what a farmer has with his turkey until Thanksgiving Day?â€
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2007, 06:35 PM,
RE: NGP^85 -- Self Propelled SAM ?
If you mark SAM with "indirect fire" you can fire at aircraft attacking or helicopters being seen by other units even at range farther than 12.
I've veryfied such a situation in my test scenario. It works!

Michal
07-24-2007, 12:14 AM,
They are set with IF as Michal verified with me a few months ago and it does work.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
07-24-2007, 01:45 AM,
I think that introducing SAMs to the game in spite of some complications is very interesting. It creates new possibilities and strategic options.
The most important option is fact that SAM's indirect fire is very useful to defence frontline units from remote.
The only disadvantage is fact you can't fire at targets unseen for your own forces.
In a scenario that I'm preparing nowadays the range of majority of SAMs (SA-6, SA-8, SA-11, Hawk) is cut (more or less) by half comparing to their real range.
I assumed that in combat conditions it's impossible to effectively fire SAMs at their max. range (e.g. SA-6 at 24 km or SA-11 at 28 km).

Michal
07-24-2007, 02:10 AM,
Thanks for the info as to indirect fire SAM's.

Regards,
CptCav
Edmund Burke (1729-1797): "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Ronald Reagan: “Détente: isn’t that what a farmer has with his turkey until Thanksgiving Day?â€
07-24-2007, 04:26 AM,
Rapier (GB), Roland (Germany), Crotale and AMX-30 Roland (France), Chaparral (USA), SA-13 and SA-9 (USSR).

And many other systems.
07-24-2007, 04:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2007, 04:53 AM by CptCav.)
RE:��NGP^85 -- Self Propelled SAM ?

07-24-2007, 05:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2007, 05:32 AM by Mike Abberton.)
07-24-2007, 06:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2007, 10:27 AM by Aaron.)
I found the max range of SAM units and cut it in half and then some more b/c it would be alot harder to hit a helo hovering around the ground than a aircraft, Example SA-6, Max range 12,Min range 3 but an SA-6 doesnt have a very low altitude for hitting targets so it has an att value of 8. To put it in perspective the AH-64 has a def of 14.Cobra 12, most troop transports around a 10. So it still favors the helo but the SAMs will bring some down especially if u run into more than 1 of them. And no it wouldnt be able to att ground troops in IF because it has no hard/soft attack value,Now if u gave it a range of 10 on soft targets then yes it would be able to but were not going to do that, and u mentioned a line of sight for your SAMS the problem with that is like the SA-6 has a minimum range of i believe 3000m, it wasnt very maneuverable.The only problem im having with it isnt really a problem just personel taste, the game doesn't have a SAM option in the editor so if u say its an AA unit u get the machine gun sound but an Nato AA symbol on the map, now if u make it a GM unit then u get that beutiful missile sound but an Nato GM symbol on the map, the other problem with that is with TRK vehicles it works fine it lists as vehicles but a GM MOT unit list guns not vehicles so im still playing with that.The only other option i c would be GM PM that counts it as vehicles and would work for the SA-8 even tough its not really armoured but that still leaves the question of the towed Hawk and Rapier. :smoke:

Aaron

That oob i posted some how got screwed, i stuck it back in my editor and fixed the values if u downloaded it u might want to toss it and download the new one
Rangers Lead the Way
07-25-2007, 02:59 PM,
I would agree that we need more SAMs in this game to counter the "game killing Helos."

Epolotov is correct.