Want to trade
11-03-2007, 05:48 AM,
RE: Want to trade
It must be a preemptive strike Fiery:whis:Big GrinBig Grin
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2007, 05:52 AM,
Of course swapping does make it sound like said individual is tired of said game and will delete all files from his computer because without said disc it will be impossible to play said game :whis:

Although if said individual does make or as the jargon goes BURN a copy for future use then he is commiting a nono. And as long as he doesn't announce that he has a burned copy of said game on My Space and keeps it to himself the copy right police shouldn't be kicking down the door any time soon. :rolleyes:

Just my 2 pence cheers

Gary
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
11-03-2007, 06:01 AM,
I keep a copy of everything.. Hell, I'm still playing Duke Nukem and Monkey Island on my new Vista powered machine... Anyone got a copy of Leisure Suit Larry out there?...

*Notice this post was made entirely in jest. If anyones feelings are hurt and they have a need for sympathy, call 1888crybaby for the hottest tips on having a pity party. I assure you no animals were tested on or killed in the drafting of this post, but that cat next door is on thin ice.. All rights were violated and all parties presumed guilty until proven innocent or lined up along the wall with a cigarette.*
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
11-03-2007, 06:05 AM,
Damn Randy I haven't played Duke Nukem in years Big Grin
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
11-03-2007, 06:46 AM,
I have no intention of keeping a copy of UV. I don't like the game. Uncommon Valor is simply not my cup of tea. In fact, I need to do some cleanup on my computer and its going to get uninstalled whether I can trade it or not.

Instead of it just sitting on a shelf for eternity I thought it would be OK to trade it off for a game I may like. I've done this before with HPS games with no problems ... as far as I know. I realise UV is not an HPS game and thus my question as to whether it was a problem.

I have no desire to pirate software ... especially since I know its not right to do so. I've worked in IT before and had to deal with all these copyright issues with much more serious business software costing thousands of dollars.

Hey, if its a problem, forget the request. If the moderator here wants to take this thread off the forum, please feel free. It won't hurt my feelings.

thanks for all the unsolicited legal advise

hank
11-03-2007, 06:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2007, 06:50 AM by Hank.)
OH, and Shawn, I've forked out money for about a dozen HPS games. I think I'm considered a fairly good customer and a fair person to wargame with.

thank you very much
11-03-2007, 07:03 AM,
Now that everyone is glued to this thread and l'll have your attention it's time to launch my flank attack, does anyone want to swap or sell Squad Battles: The Proud and the Few.
11-03-2007, 08:42 AM,
Pretty good comments above. I will say upon reflection that I came off as a little more accusatory toward Hank and Jay than I actually should have as they never used the word "copy." So, my appologies to you both if your intent was/is consistent with the law of your jurisdiction(s).

Some other responses:

Panther Bait:
"As long as all active copies are uninstalled and the prior owner does not retain a copy, swapping is perfectly legal." Probably true if expressly stated in a license agreement. In the absence of such express waiver language, or in the absence of a license agreement, I'm not too sure I would want to test that premise against existing Federal Law in the United States.

Cavalry Corps:
"I think they only want to swap have you never swaped anything that was copy controlled ? In any event swapping games is no harm to HPS as both iotems have already been sold and maybe that swapper may get into a whole new series ??"
Answer one: No.
Answer two: I obviously don't speak for HPS, but IF, as you say, that leads to a new series customer, then no harm, no foul. On the other hand, every title swapped or traded to another person deprives them of a potential new sale.

Now, lets get back to gaming!
Shawn
11-04-2007, 03:56 AM,
I couldnt get into PzC so I traded them with a good buddy (and removed them from my hard drive as well !).

And yes, lets get back to playing !
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
11-04-2007, 05:26 AM,
Multi tasking; fighting Shawn's panzers and posting on this thread. At the same time! Big Grin

I thought it was clear in law - the game in the physical form of the CD, Manual, box etc is mine, and I can do with it what I wish, including sell/give/trade it away. I can't copy it, including to my own machine and then use it if I no longer have the physical stuff. Simple.

Then I googled it... and what a dog's dinner the law appears to be. There are companies out there whose business plan is facilitating trading PC games, indicating that it perfectly legit. Brick and mortar stores do it as well. Then again, there's debate on various sites about the legality of it at all.

Who knows? :conf: