• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

OP fire in general?
04-26-2007, 02:35 PM,
RE: OP fire in general?
Okay Cheers digger
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2007, 02:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-26-2007, 02:45 PM by McIvan.)
RE:��OP fire in general?
the rattler Wrote:Thanks guys, lots of info about this game that is not mentioned in the manual or clarified. A deeper complexity resides underneath it seems. As regards opfire does having a recon unit in the same hex help the chances of opfire taking place? i.e the unit is more easily spotted. I assumed that when opfire fails to fire it was because the unit was not seen. A difference between you(the player) seeing units on the board and your units seeing them.
regards
You will always see a moving unit in your line of sight, so it matters not whether you have a recon units with you.

Whether op fire triggers is strictly by the numbers, percentage wise...

Edit: oops, that's basically what Digger just said. Sorry for the redundancy...or maybe you can just take it as confirmation.
10-29-2007, 01:34 AM,
RE: OP fire Second side
Testing a scenario I chose AI with FOW as first side and me as second side.

I notice that the AI moves into my LOS and my tanks fire long range to no effect. Now that my tanks have revealed themselves, the AI shoots back, destroying some, retreating some.

All op fire settings are long in the scenario design.

Is there away for the second side player to set his op fire before his turn starts or is the second player at a disadvantage until his turn starts?
10-29-2007, 03:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-31-2007, 02:06 AM by von Manstein.)
How is it? When I set Opfire on long range will that unit shoot at short range too or only long?
11-03-2007, 11:53 PM,
Depends what side and what game I am playing. For instance in DGVN I often set the NVA to only close and the US often off to keep from waxing civilians.
11-04-2007, 12:54 AM,
As "The Rattler" stated, it depends upon the situation. IMO, setting OP fire by individual units is a must; to not do so puts you at a disadvantage, since a good opponent will figure out during the course of the scene what your settings are, and react accordingly.

I find that the settings also depend upon the opponents playing style. If they are using half-tracks or other light armored vehicles in an aggressive manner to draw op fire or "bump" target hexes, then my op fire settings will be much different than they would be with an opponent playing a more conservative style.
11-04-2007, 04:06 AM,
vM:

If you set a unit to long range, it will shoot at units at long, medium and short range. If you set a unit to medium range, it will not shoot long range. It will only shoot medium and short range. Finally, if you set a unit to short range, it will not shoot long or medium range. I will only shoot short range. If you turn the unit off completely, it will not shoot at all.

Cheers,

Nort
11-04-2007, 10:15 AM,
i agree with Don, setting opp fire per units is always required. playin againts Gmen those ht can be a pain , but carefully adjust yor op fire as to not waste shots on those darn ht units can do the trick sometimes. each situation is diff which is why the adjustment feature is a nice feature.
11-05-2007, 07:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-05-2007, 07:54 AM by von Manstein.)
Thanx Nort. That is logic but when I've readed manual I understand that when unit have range 9 and I will set long opfire that unit will shoot from 7 to 9 not from 1 to 9. That's why I'm wasn't so sure about that.