• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

OP fire in general?
04-25-2007, 10:53 PM,
c_Question Mark  OP fire in general?
There may be a great number of situations that dictate different OP fire settings for various units, but as a "rule of thumb" I would certainly appreciate a concensus in regard to:

AT&HvyAA?

Other units?

In general, if I am playing any side other than German's, I set my tanks at medium versus armor and off versus other.

My AT&HvyAA at medium versus armor and short versus all other.

My Other Units at short.

Thank you for your opinions.

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2007, 12:16 AM,
RE: OP fire in general?
I think it depends on the situation. you may want to set op fire for individual units, some at different ranges and targets and some maybe off all together.

Example. you have 5 platoons of tanks. one set to fire short range at armour. two set at medium range. one set to fire at medium range infantry only. And maybe one long range all targets a loaded truck may trundle past.

of course op fire can be a bit hit miss and some prefer off all together and rely on remaining hidden as it takes a turn to spot unless you are bumped into. Trying to close on a group of panthers that have opfire on for hard targets is no easy task, expect some losses unles you have something to match them. jsII's for example late war.

being a t34 vs tigers or panthers you need close range i would say for fire to be most effective and if armour facing is on a rear shot is best. And that can be achieved by remaining hidden with all op fire off and pouncing next turn.

One advantage with op fire is an advancing unit that retreats from being hit by opfire suffers the action point loss and maybe have not enough left for op fire itself and may be disrupted or taken a loss as well.

Im still trying different things myself. fascinating the decisions one can make.
04-26-2007, 12:26 AM,
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/campaign...-fire.html

Hope that helps
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Send this user an email
04-26-2007, 01:21 AM,
Thank you Jason, most helpful indeed!

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

04-26-2007, 08:15 AM,
Thanks, for sharing some of your vast knowledge Jason.

A lot of informative posts in that forum..
Divided Ground no-CD & DGVN exe: here

[Image: FARibbon.jpg]
04-26-2007, 09:01 AM,
And remember, In order for infantry to op fire at hard targets, the infantry op fire range must be set to "long range." If you set the infantry op fire setting to either "short" or "medium," the infantry unit simply will never fire at a hard target in an adjacent hex.
04-26-2007, 09:43 AM,
....being for the reason that the programme rounds DOWN....so bear in mind that a medium op fire setting for a unit with a 4 hex range will be 2/3 x 4 = 2&2/3 = 2 hexes.
04-26-2007, 09:45 AM,
Another thing to consider is, if the global opfire settings are for short/medium for infantry, then setting individual units to long will do nothing. All units default to the lower global setting. This killed me at State Farm 79! Set the global opfire to long range and individual units to shorter ranges if needed.

Rob
04-26-2007, 01:10 PM,
Thanks guys, lots of info about this game that is not mentioned in the manual or clarified. A deeper complexity resides underneath it seems. As regards opfire does having a recon unit in the same hex help the chances of opfire taking place? i.e the unit is more easily spotted. I assumed that when opfire fails to fire it was because the unit was not seen. A difference between you(the player) seeing units on the board and your units seeing them.
regards
04-26-2007, 01:17 PM,
Recon units wll NOT improve the chances of OP fire, they do have better spotting capabilities, but this is calculated at the start of the turn, for the puposes of determining what units you can see.

As to why units do or don't OP fire. It is a simple mathematical calculation and with any game there is a chance of sucess or failure. The only control you have is to set your range settings and hope for the best, or if you are like me turn it OFF for most.

Matt