• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Spotting and unit quality - does it matter?
04-26-2007, 08:25 AM,
RE: Spotting and unit quality - does it matter?
There are two ways to play CM, the losing way,or the POS way.. :)
For example I've been returning files all day and haven't yet had the need to consult any chart, I'm playing by gut instinct all the time, works for me.. :)
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2007, 09:33 AM,
Spike, no one who has conducted as many tests as you have is playing by gut instinct. I've no idea why you have convinced yourself otherwise. Not that it really matters.
04-26-2007, 09:38 AM,
RE:��Spotting and unit quality - does it matter?
04-26-2007, 10:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-26-2007, 10:48 AM by The Coil.)
RE: ��Spotting and unit quality - does it matter?
04-26-2007, 11:12 AM,
RE:��Spotting and unit quality - does it matter?
04-26-2007, 11:24 AM,
RE: ��Spotting and unit quality - does it matter?
04-26-2007, 12:04 PM,
If a sniper falls in the forest, is there a sound?

Well, this regular and crack german sniper prove that when enemy units are hidden, you can almost walk up to them and tap dance on their helmets.

I walked the regular sniper up, and then the crack sniper up. When the regular sniper walked up, a sound icon was projected about 20m away from where he actually was, so the russians knew someone was lurking, but could not pinpoint. The crack walked up like a ghost.

The regular sniper moved within 7m and in woods, detected the hidden russkies without them knowing he was there.

[Image: sniper1.jpg]

These are the hiding russkies, with the germans nowhere to be seen on their turn.

[Image: sniper2.jpg]

Both snipers then turn and head off for lunch, the hidden russkies none the wiser. Icons appear for the hidden russkies.

[Image: sniper3.jpg]

After this, I walked a Tank hunter unit up and when he tried to get within 7 feet, he was gunned down by an activated russian squad.

This is not the test that I wished to perform, as I wanted to know if the crack sniper could spot troops at the same distance that the regular sniper could not.

This is all the time I have, but I may do more tomorrow. The theory is still not disproven.

Cheers!

Leto
04-26-2007, 12:55 PM,
RE:����Spotting and unit quality - does it matter?
04-26-2007, 01:17 PM,
I guess the utility that I want to investigate is that of being able to sneak sniper units into a specific area to be able to detect "hidden" units.

It would also be beneficial to know at what ranges you can "reveal" units that you have not yet seen yet, are not hidden, but may occupy a piece of terrain that you must take.

Ex: I know enemy units have infiltrated some scattered trees where a large flag sits, but I do not know exactly where they are! If I had a sniper nearby, could he sneak into a position within LOS of the scattered trees that would reveal "hiding" units, or units with covered arcs on, that are just sitting there not hiding.

This would be extremely beneficial, especially if the enemy is confident that you cannot see him, and in fact, you can because a sniper reveals them. In the next turn, you can plot direct fire by infantry and HE on that unit, even though the unit is on covered arcs and won't fire, and even if the unit is hidden. Thus, effectively taking out the unit, without it getting a chance to fire back, due to the belief it is invisible.

Cheers!

Leto
04-26-2007, 01:17 PM,
Double post... (Leto does the Warner brothers dancing frog across the stage and exits)

"Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gaaaaalll........yoink"