• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Spotting and unit quality - does it matter?
04-25-2007, 12:50 PM,
Spotting and unit quality - does it matter?
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2007, 03:20 PM,
RE: Spotting and unit quality - does it matter?
Try spotting units hiding in scattered trees or rubble.....things that are normally close to undetectable until you're very close. That's where I think you might see a difference.
04-26-2007, 02:18 AM,
Not exactly what you asked for, but I tried it with platoons approaching through scattered trees - same result - the spotting distance goes down considerably, but units are spotted at the exact same time/place every time, regardless of unit quality. That's what makes me think there's no difference - the fact the units show up in exactly the same place each time. It's possible that there's some difference that applies only in certain situations - i.e. spotting units in particularly good cover or something, but that seems a little too subtle.

My experience with CM is that stuff is generally modelled more simply that I think, but the complexity of the game lends itself to identifying all sorts of subtleties of modelling that just don't exist (like for instance, all the theories of the best way to un-immobilize vehicles, when in fact, it seems like the de-immob as a result of a random die roll). Haven't tested it enough, but I strongly suspect the unit quality - spotting thing is another such thing. Might run a few more tests to make sure. Haven't tested the flip side at all, either: does unit quality matter in remaining concealed - that is, is an elite unit harder to spot?
04-26-2007, 04:19 AM,
04-26-2007, 05:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2007, 10:15 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Here's my standard reply to anybody who's in danger of becoming a numbers-junkie -
Mate, don't get too obsessed with numbers, I never do.. :)
That's why I always tell people to play by gut instinct and not by sliderule..
Sure, we all have to look up the odd chart occasionally to remind ourselves about something but don't become bogged down too much in hard facts and figures or you'll begin playing like a robot without any 'feel' for the game.
Remember in the film 'The Cincinnati Kid' a poker player carefully consults his mathematical charts to work out the chances before placing each bet, yet the Kid (playing by gut instinct without any charts) takes him to the cleaners.
Right Kid?

"Right"..

[Image: cinc.jpg]
04-26-2007, 06:04 AM,
yeah, you posted that in the other thread. It so completely off-base I didnt respond before.
04-26-2007, 07:12 AM,
What does 'off-base' mean?
04-26-2007, 07:45 AM,
incorrect

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/off_base

04-26-2007, 08:07 AM,
But mate, I've been playing by gut instinct nonstop for 4 years in 500 ladder games and it got me to the top of the Rugged Defense, Appui-Feu and Wargames-Player Club ladders at various times, so please let me know what I've been doing incorrect all this time?
04-26-2007, 08:13 AM,
RE:��Spotting and unit quality - does it matter?
PoorOldSpike Wrote:Mate, don't get too obsessed with numbers, I never do.. :)

I've been playing by gut instinct nonstop for 4 years in 500 ladder games and it got me to the top of the Rugged Defense, Appui-Feu and Wargames-Player Club ladders at various times,

You dont care about numbers like you dont care about ladder rankings