• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Button it!
04-23-2007, 01:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2007, 10:43 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Button it!
[Image: panthcupola.jpg]
(above-Panther)

(These are buttoning test results with massed fleets of Veteran PzIVH's and T-34/76's, I simply buttoned them and logged the time it took before they decided to unbutton themselves)

When you button a tank, it starts its clock counting to the time it decides to unbutton again.The computer randomly decides how long that time will be.
Veteran crews will sometimes unbutton during the action phase of the 1st turn following the button order, but sometimes they'll stay buttoned til the 6th turn after the button order. (that's the longest I saw)
But on average, they'll unbutton about 2 or 3 turns after the button order.

So just routinely open and close them again during every orders phase to re-set their clocks to zero to remind them to stay buttoned

That means issuing the order to every AFV on the field and it could be a chore if you've got lots of them but hey, it's worth it because it means a sniper or infantry probably won't ever be able to lay their crosshairs on a tank commander.. ;)

However the downside of being buttoned is that the AFV will be half-blind and will take much longer to spot the enemy, which could be fatal if he's engaged by an unbuttoned enemy tank which will almost certainly get off the first shot..
My approach therefore is to leave my tanks unbuttoned during the early stages of games, then start regularly buttoning if enemy sniper fire begins coming in, or if I'm getting close to enemy troops or MG's who may try shooting the unbuttoned TC.
I also hit "button" if��arty or mortar fire stars falling near my tanks.
But remember for maximum safety keep re-setting the clock for each and every AFV on each and every turn..

PS - Remember the test figures apply to Veteran crews only.
Higher quality crews will tend to unbutton FASTER (think gung-ho), whereas lower quality crews will tend to stay buttoned LONGER (think wimps)

Go here and scroll to 'Officer Down' to see what happens if you drive too near to enemy infantry while unbuttoned -
https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=39877
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2007, 08:55 PM,
RE: Button it!
Snippet from Cmbb Manual page 135 -
"Buttoned vehicles have a blind spot from infantry (who's not targetting the vehicle) within 15m providing the infantry is not in the front 60-degree arc centred on the turret facing"
05-09-2007, 10:33 PM,
RE: Button it!
I really should read the manual one day.. LOL