• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Infantry against armour
03-31-2007, 04:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2007, 07:50 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Infantry against armour
The furthest I've ever seen infantry throw stuff at tanks is 40 metres, so the golden rule is never drive your tanks that close to any cover where an enemy infantry unit may be lurking.
Note - the 40 range applies only to grenades, molotovs and light items like that, but the heavier stuff like grenade bundles and satchel charges etc don't usually get thrown til the tank closes to inside the 35-ish metre mark.

[Image: never.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2007, 08:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2007, 08:56 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: Infantry against armour
Just a sample of how some infantry-AT weapons icons look on unit data readouts -

[Image: iat.jpg]
03-31-2007, 09:11 AM,
[Image: wurf1.jpg]

Captured Panzerwurfmine on test
[Image: pzwurf.jpg]
03-31-2007, 09:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-04-2007, 02:47 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
[Image: infvkt1.jpg]

[Image: infvkt2.jpg]

[Image: infvkt3.jpg]

A typical RPG (there were several models)
[Image: rpg-43.jpg]

PS - RPG stands for Ruchnoy Protivotankoviy Granatomet, I've seen several different translations of it, the consensus being something like "infantry anti-tank grenade".
RPG is of course also used for modern Russian AT-rocket launchers, but the letters are changed slightly (Ruchnoy Protivotankovy Granatomyot) which means something like "infantry anti-tank grenade launcher"
03-31-2007, 11:10 AM,
[Image: CM-Wurf1.jpg]
04-03-2007, 11:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-04-2007, 01:17 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
STUG GETS SATCHELLED
This time my tanks are on the receiving end in an ongoing game against Marshall yesterday..

PIC 1 - My Stug and 2x Pz III's press home an attack against the flag,racing through a gap in the trees. I suspect there may be Russian infantry lurking among the trees but I'm hoping my tanks on 'Fast' will be through the gap before they have time to start throwing stuff.
However, Marshall daringly runs his pioneer squad with the tanks (along direction of small arrow)so's they can't get away..
[Image: pion1.jpg]

PIC 2 - My tanks then sit in what I hoped would be a temporary safe area well away from trees to engage a T-34 before pushing on to the flag, but the pioneer squad arrives in position and hurls a satchel charge (sailing through the air along dotted line) at my Stug..
(Note the range is only 28 metres, well within the 40 metres lethal throwing zone of infantry, I knew I was taking a risk but hey, that's war)
BTW the grid is 20 metre squares,it helps judge distance and see contours better, I always use it.
[Image: pion2.jpg]

PIC 3 - Kaboom, the charge explodes and its goodbye Stug..
[Image: pion3.jpg]
04-04-2007, 01:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-06-2007, 09:44 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
OFFICER DOWN!
(A combat sequence from earlier in that game against Marshall titled 'Stug gets satchelled' featured elsewhere in this thread)

PIC 1 - I order my PzIIIL (late) to go 'Fast' down to the end of the dotted line to have a go at that T-34/76 sitting up on the ridge. (I'm pretty confident my boy can duke it out because he's a (late) model with hot green-class front armour that T-34/76's have trouble penetrating. I know the III's gun is only a 50mm-long but at close range it'll have a fair chance of penetrating the T-34's front hull)
Also, more III's and a Stug are close behind on the way as backup.
I decide to leave the TC unbuttoned so he'll see the T-34 quicker and start shooting the instant he arrives in position (note the small hook I put at the end of the plot so the panzer will be pointing smack at the T-34 when it gets there)

[Image: TCA.jpg]

PIC 2 - Officer down! (a Crack platoon commander to boot!)...no sooner does the panzer start rolling than a burst of small-arms fire whips out of the trees (you can just make out a tracer), hitting the TC, causing the tank to go 'shocked'..

[Image: TC2.jpg]

PIC 3 - However to their credit the crew continue rolling forward to the firing position even though still 'shocked' and therefore seriously poor at spotting, resulting in the T-34 having a field day by opening up on them several times before they even see it. (note the clock, they've been shocked and therefore near-blind for almost half the turn)

[Image: TC3.jpg]

PIC 4 - They manage to get off just one shot without harming the T-34, and it takes them down..

[Image: TC4.jpg]

PS -The moral? - Leaving TC's unbuttoned means they'll see and shoot at the enemy quicker, but risk losing their heads. Therefore the safest way to go is to start games unbuttoned, but keep buttoning them more and more the closer you get to the enemy. I took a risk by leaving my dood unbuttoned and lost him as a result but hey that's war, I went on to get a minor win anyway so he died for a noble cause..
04-04-2007, 08:13 AM,
04-04-2007, 08:22 AM,
After seeing their beloved commanders head fly off, I kept the other 3 buttoned for safety, and they were therefore slow to see your pioneers running after them.
The pioneers were very good, they threw the satchel just seconds after arriving in position..
04-06-2007, 06:48 AM,
How about this from a recent battle with Okimaw

[Image: GCS0219-1.jpg]
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West