• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Fair Play?
04-21-2007, 10:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-21-2007, 10:30 PM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
RE: Fair Play?
I'm in full agreement with Hawk here.
No names were mentioned by the thread starter?

There was no need to drag names through the 'mud'? :rolleyes:

I do, like many others, when faced with what "I think" are "gamey" tactics, I send an e-mail thanking my opponent for the game. I ask them to report their victory. Then I usually ask them to find another opponent. :smoke:

Let's face it ... it's a game? When we let our emotions get the better of us, we need to step back, take a breath, and move on.

A simple note to the Ladder commanders might have kept this dirty laundry out of the public view? ViolinWhip

Good luck!
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2007, 10:33 PM,
Hmmm not sure if my earlier comments were understood.

Here is what I would do:

If I am playing a game and I feel my reinforcement hexes are reached too easily I quit the game and would adress the designer that the scenario has a flaw that makes the scenario unplayable.
Exactly the same happened recently when I was playing a testgame against Digger. We agreed to stop the test and informed the designer.

Huib
04-21-2007, 10:39 PM,
That's the best way to handle it Huib. :thumbs_up:

Having the players come to the forum and "air it out" is not, IMHO.
I've often offered or accepted draws when games seemed to have glitches. But, that is just me! :smoke:
04-21-2007, 10:56 PM,
I understand the fact that at the onset of the game it was laid out that Mud had played this one before and offered Drat to look things over...however......

I think it is a bit cheesy that I would rush my forces to the entry hex to knock off my enemys arrivals...especially when my opponnet has never played the game before - I think its a case of really trying to win the scenario!

Batter up Brian?
04-21-2007, 11:19 PM,
RE:��Fair Play?
Tiger 88 Wrote:I understand the fact that at the onset of the game it was laid out that Mud had played this one before and offered Drat to look things over...however......

I think it is a bit cheesy that I would rush my forces to the entry hex to knock off my enemys arrivals...especially when my opponnet has never played the game before - I think its a case of really trying to win the scenario!

Batter up Brian?

I've played Tim (MM) before and have not detected even one iota of maliciousness in him. He's a player that is new, is just learning the game and is obviously not "hip to the jive" of some of the serious undertones of the game, its playing environment, and its players.

Albeit, I understand Digger's frustration, but MM has already taken it upon himself to show judgement and good gaming intuition to offer to not record the game before asking the honest questions he did.

That being said, if new players cannot come to the forum to discuss these matters in a civil and anonymous matter, how are they to learn or know? Contacting the custodian only gives you the one man's opinion, not that of the club's culture, which MM was seeking.

Playing new opponents has always been a raw spot for me around here, as I know it is tough to find someone who you are comfortable with, trust and can have good games with.

I hope the two players involved can come to a mutual agreement and show us as a club, some leadership here. I think the greatest result evolving from this thread would be to see two grown men come to equitable and honest terms with each other both behind the scenes and in this thread, and show us that the petty bickering about gamey-ness, accusations of cheating, and prideful frustration WILL NOT get the better of us.

I leave it to the gentleman at hand to resolve their issues, but think that it would do both of them a monumental amount of good , AND FOR THE CLUB, to show us how this SHOULD be resolved to the utmost of each's abilities.

Cheers!

Leto

04-21-2007, 11:23 PM,
I've known Montana Mud for over 40 years and played literally thousands of different games against him.

He is, in my opinion, the most honorable gamer I have ever had the pleasure of competing against and would receive no pleasure from a victory gained by even the slightest unfair or unethical method. A trait thankfully shared by many of my opponents.

No matter how his opponent may have perceived the tactic, it was in my opinion forewarned and legitimate.

He has offered to abandon the game without scoring. What more could one expect?

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

04-22-2007, 01:27 AM,
I agree, I've played Tim and enjoyed the game, he's a fine chap. I also think it is good to get these things out in the open to give everyone a chance to state their views, the fact that he posted shows a genuine desire to play the game properly and that is only to be applauded.
04-22-2007, 02:42 AM,
"The Pope? How many Divisions does he have?" Stalin
04-22-2007, 06:06 AM,
I haven't played this scenario.......nor am I likely to after this rousing debate.............however I do agree with Huib.....if the scenario is flawed(and it sound like it is).....stop playing........call it no contest.......find something else to play........heck I'll start one for both of you..........but remember to PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
04-23-2007, 10:22 AM,
What???

Albeit, I understand Digger's frustration, but MM has already taken it upon himself to show judgement and good gaming intuition to offer to not record the game before asking the honest questions he did.

How the hell did I get pulled into this.. I have never played Montana Mud before...

On this topic: It is a little gamey, and whilst I don't like it I agree with Huib that in many cases it is more a result of poor scenario design than poor play. Some scenarios just lack replayability.

I have had this happen to me before where my reinforcements have been massacred as they showed up. It is hard to take but I have just resigned and moved on to another.

Other times I have learnt from this and I just didn't bother bringing my reinforcements on the map, I was still able to salvage something out of the game, with what I had left, knowing that my opponent had tied up a number of his forces covering my entry point. By not bringing them on I kept him guessing as to when they would show up.

Plus If you delay their entry for several turns, you may have a whole bunch show up at once and the ambushers become the ambushed.

My point is there are ways of dealing with every situation. You need to be a little flexible as everyone has different gaming styles. That is why it is important to discuss ROE's BEFORE the game. Otherwise you have no right to be offended by anything your opponent does. Roll with the punches, treat it as a challenge and adapt to the new situation.

Matt ~Digger