• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Theatre of War
04-20-2007, 11:09 AM,
RE: Theatre of War
Damm shame though i was hoping that the il2 and combat mission mix was going to be a winning partnership another missed oppertunity - iI hope battlefront havent staked to much on this - The graphics are poor - particuarly the terrain - looks like nowhere- and the controls arent intuitive. Hope CMSF is beeter
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2007, 11:26 AM,
Uninstalled it after 10 minutes. How many years went into developing this piece of utter excrement?

Waste of time.
04-21-2007, 04:14 AM,
does anybody like it?
04-21-2007, 07:13 AM,
I do... LOL
04-21-2007, 07:29 AM,
yeh but you're strange :P
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
04-21-2007, 08:02 AM,
Variety is the spice of life....
04-21-2007, 07:45 PM,
Well theres a lot of hatin without any actual objective criticism going on.

For starters this is utterly false:

Quote:It smells of a grab for the command and conquer ADD 13 year old

TOW is so unlike C&C that I can only imagine that the poster who said the above has never played it. For starters there is no recourse management and bade biulding. This game isnt won by the player to first biuld 50 tanks and then rushing the enemy base. Nor will it be won by the player with the fastet reflexes, the pace of this game is glacial compared to your standard RTS.

TOW has a lot of depth and complexity. If you want to see how the standard 13 twitch monkey reacts to this game go and read the posts of Crazylegsmurphy on the battelfront forum. It just goes totally over their heads. For most 13 year olds the graphics and the pace and the complexity will be a complete turn off.

On other wargaming forums this game is being well recieved, however I do have some crticisms and will probably not buy the game at the moment(will wait for some patches see how it pans outetc).

For me the most glaring ommission is stealth or any real ability to hide. If you give the game a chance and get to the defensive training mission you will see what I mean. You have 2 guns to stop about 4 or 5 tanks. The problem is that even if you tell them to hold fire the opfor tanks spot them straight away and take them out really fast. For me this a killer flaw. However I expect this game to be well supported by its Devs and there is allready alot of noise about this problem. I expect it to be fixed in the future and will then give it another try, as for apart from that TOW is a fun and absorbing game. In CM I enjoy watching turns from the perspective of an indicidual soldier, in TOW you can do the same by selecting a pixeltruppen/tank and pressing enter. Its fun. However TOW will never replace CM.
04-21-2007, 08:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-21-2007, 08:54 PM by Herr Schacht.)
04-21-2007, 09:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-21-2007, 09:56 PM by Fubar.)
I thought the unit skins Ok but the terrain was very bland to look at and the sounds were no where near as good as some of the sound mods for CM that you can get from CMMODS. But my biggest problem was the controls, they just seemed very unresponsive and sluggish. With no PBEM, unless the game ships with the worlds best AI i can't see me bothering with it.

One plus is the fact that it covers other armies and time periods and isn't just another US vs Axis RTS game like COH.

@ Herr Schacht

What type of file does ToW use for it's sound files because you prolly could import them with a little effort if you wanted to.

cheers
04-22-2007, 12:07 AM,
RE:��Theatre of War