• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Mine kampf
01-03-2008, 02:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2008, 02:12 PM by Mad Russian.)
RE: Mine kampf
You had 13 tanks run over that minefield POS but how many trips did it take to damage all 13? I've run minefields before. By the 2nd, and absolutely after the 3rd detonation, I expect to get through safely.

I know they can continue to attack but I rarely see them do it.

I would be interested to know how many chances the minefield got to damage all 13 vehicles.

Good Hunting.

MR
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2008, 05:30 PM,
Mad Russian Wrote:You had 13 tanks run over that minefield POS but how many trips did it take to damage all 13? I've run minefields before. By the 2nd, and absolutely after the 3rd detonation, I expect to get through safely.
I know they can continue to attack but I rarely see them do it.
I would be interested to know how many chances the minefield got to damage all 13 vehicles.

I ran the bunch up and down through the mines for 30 turns and the mines were popping at intervals the whole time, the last tank was blown up around turn 28.
So on the results of that test, I shall assume minefields stay live no matter how many times they blow up a tank, and I'll avoid them the whole game..:)
01-04-2008, 09:03 AM,
That also implies that a group of tanks can get through a minefield unscathed. So, in game, it is entirely possible for a group of tanks to go through a minefield and beyond and only 1 of X gets blownup or immobilised?
01-04-2008, 09:14 AM,
I seem to recall it runs around 40% for AT minefields.....so you could run 10 through and lose four.
01-04-2008, 07:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2008, 07:19 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
TEST RESULT - Mines will explode a number of times within the same turn

PIC 1 - A column of T-34s are lined up ready to charge through the gap on 'Fast'. They can't see the buried German AT-mine I've sown there..
[Image: MinA.png]

PIC 2 - They begin racing through but one of the leading pair is immediately immobd, but his mate gets clean through. The mine icon now appears on map, the other 18 tanks see it and jam on their brakes and begin concertina-ing and re-plotting...
[Image: Min2.png]

PIC 3 - I cancel their auto-plot orders, get them back into column formation and charge them through the gap again. (Interestingly, none of them jam their brakes on again even though they can see the icon, they follow orders and try to go straight through, 12 of the 18 get through unscathed)..
[Image: Min3.png]

PIC 4 - These are the 6 that didn't get through. (one other is the one immobd in pic 1)
Remember, all these 6 were blown up in the same movement phase, confirming minefields are not limited to just one detonation per phase.
But as Mad Russian pointed out earlier, the chances of detonation do seem to lessen each time, as if the field is slowly depleting after each blast..
[Image: Min4.png]

CONCLUSION - Charging a whole bunch through in one turn won't save them from getting blown up, you could lose 1 in every 3 tanks as in the above tests, although I daresay the figure randomly fluctuates from game to game.
I suppose the only tactical situation in which you deliberately want to drive your tanks through mines is if there's absolutely no alternative like clearing them with engineers, or bypassing them..
07-16-2008, 12:29 PM,
"Kursk"
[Image: kurskmin.jpg]
07-17-2008, 10:28 AM,
[Image: minesw.jpg]