• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Attacking
03-12-2008, 09:15 AM,
RE: Attacking
PoorOldSpike Wrote:
RockinHarry Wrote:..One simple example without flags: An attacker is given the order to gain possession of a hill... The defender is given the order to just hold the line...

What does "gain possession of a hill" mean exactly?
Why not just plonk a flag on the hilltop so that we'll know for sure who possesses the hill at the end?

And what does "hold the line" mean exactly?
Why not just plonk several flags along the line so we'll know without doubt at the end who holds them?

See, playing without flags means there are too many grey areas, wheras by using flags everything is clear-cut in black and white..;)

"If somebody tells me something is not a clear-cut black and white issue, I say 'Why the hell not?" - John Wayne

In the described case, "possession" means enough terrain on that hill that you can place heavy weapons and FO´s in to excert control on the village and surrounding terrain. That´s what hills are good for (if not heavily wooded), to command the surrounding terrain and provide LOS far into the enemy territory (or to prevent the enemy from the same benefits) Do you think of that, when you see a flag plonked on any hill?

I´ve seen many scenarios where a (big) flag was placed on such hills that do not have any military meaning (example: a heavily wooded hill that does NOT provide any observation into the surrounding landscape. ) You just have a terrain feature that BOTH human opponents have to fight for cause the scenario designer decided to put a flag there.

"hold the line", do not let the enemy break in or through the chosen line (MLR = main line of resistance). A RL commander normally decides on his own where to employ available units and heavy weapons. The higher command gives a general A-B line (setup zone in CM) and the sub commander (the player) then distributes his units, by considerations of terrain (cover and concealment), tank proofness, lines of fire ect. This is thinking a player has to make, NOT the scenario maker by enforcing a particular setup by use of flags.

Why do you need flags to evaluate whether your opponent has broken your defense line?? Why does your opponent need to know what parts of your line are more important than others? The scenario maker sets these things in stone at a micro level when placing too many flags for these purposes. Many battles don´t even have the opponents know where the main lines of defenses are. Why should I let him know by placing flags at obvious palces?

War is anything but black and white, so should be realistic CM battles.

Maybe a more simple game setup to support the general idea is to have a scenario that just makes use of the exit map victory goal. The attacker needs (part of) his units exit the map, while the defender has to prevent this. You don´t need any flags to get this type of game working. Now both players need to evaluate what terrain parts will support their particular goals. Now should I place a flag on the only hill on the map? If the attacker decides to use a valley that is not commanded by this single hill, should the scenario maker enforce the attacker to split forces for capturing a tactical meaningless map spot?

Off course a scenario needs to offer these tactical possibilities to employ different ways for winning a particular sides goals. If you have a 500 x 500m map, a river with a single bridge, ect. then there´s surely no possibilities for employing different tactics and you can go well with just plonking a single flag onto this bridge. But that´s just not my style of game and 90% of the games possibilities is simply wasted.

Another example; when placing a flag onto a bridge and one opponent takes possession of the flag, what is it worth, when the enemy still can place heavy fire on the bridge which means in real life the one who grabbed the flag can not cross significant forces to make full use of it?

Same for various sorts of bridgeheads. When is a bridgehead secured? when the enemy can not take the crossing points under observed fire anymore! Most scenario makers simply plonk a flag on the enemy side of a river (enemy defending) and tell the attacker to cross and capture the flag to win that bridgehead. That has nothing to do with the real battles fought and real decicisions that were made to fight these battles.

No problem when many players use CM as a simplistic competition game with WW2 background to have some fun. It´s just not my style of play (which goes more towards "reenactement" and combat studies)
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2008, 03:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2008, 03:25 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
INFANTRY MOVEMENT ORDERS
These tests were to determine losses while under different orders.
(For a fuller description of each order, consult pages 75/76 of the Cmbb manual)

The setup.
I simply set the Russian line marching forwards towards the German platoon in the woods and watched what happened.
Both sides units are veterans, 8 men per squad, summer mid-day.
[Image: setup.gif]

THE RESULTS
These screenshots were taken at the end of just one turn and the casualties (individual men) logged, but of course the figures will usually vary from game to game because of the programs random factoring etc.
The shots are listed in the order of which is the best from the Russians point of view, ie Move to Contact sees fewest Russian casualties, so it tops the list. Worst is 'Run' which sees huge Russian losses, so it comes bottom.
(Some of the Germans were only 'sound contacts' to the Russians which is why they appear as ghost icons outside the wood)

"Move to Contact" (will stop the instant they're shot at, and return fire)
Russ casualties=4, Ger casualties=6
[Image: mtc.gif]

"Move" (will usually break off moving and sneak towards cover when shot at)
Russ cas= 29, Ger cas 2)
[Image: mov.gif]

"Advance" (will usually continue advancing under fire at risk of higher losses)
Russ cas= 35, Ger cas= 2
[Image: adv-1.gif]

"Assault" (like 'advance' but get a morale boost, however they tire very quickly)
Russ cas= 43, Ger cas= 1
[Image: ass.gif]

"Human Wave" (will run fast and get morale bonus but risk high casualties. Only Russians can do it)
Russ cas= 55, Ger cas= 0
[Image: hw.gif]

"Run" (very fast but usually suffer very high casualties)
Russ cas= 73, Ger cas= 0)
[Image: run.gif]
06-26-2008, 03:27 AM,
Everybody has their own play style and preferences to suit fluctuating battle conditions, I'm not trying to tell anybody what to do, I simply present test results and let them draw their own conclusions..:)
Personally I like 'Move to Contact' in many situations because it guarantees your men will instantly stop moving when they're shot at and return fire. It's also good in woods. I mean, if you're ambushed the last thing you want to do is keep walking blindly into it..:)

Here's a 'Move to Contact' example from a recent game, my Russians were moving through the woods on 'Move to Contact' when they came under fire from a 50mm ATG and a squad, so those that had LOS immediately stopped and returned fire and blew them away, my tank and armoured car never even had to fire.
Next order phase I dressed the infantry line to neaten it up and resumed the MTC movement toward the forest outpost..:)
[Image: mtc.gif]

[Image: Russmov.jpg]
06-26-2008, 03:28 AM,
Here's another good example of 'Move to Contact', my Russians come under fire from a gun at top right, so they instantly stop and blow it away..
And the Russ inf units on the left (also on MtC) have spotted an enemy unit near the flag, so they stop and give him a good spraying too.
(Just for the record there are also 5 Russ inf units on 'Run' orders (whitish lines) because i was getting them up to the front line quickly,they're not shooting at the gun because runners rarely shoot, they just er..run)

[Image: huzxsd.gif]

Move to Contact..
[Image: ok.jpg]
06-26-2008, 03:31 AM,
Here's an example of the 'Advance' order, basically it's often used if you want to gain ground without stopping, even though you might take more casualties.
It's late in the game so I 'Advance' my Russian inf across open ground (arrows on right) in a last push towards the flag, but the action is only a partial success because of heavy enemy resistance (including an arty barrage) and only a couple of squads get across.

[Image: erchills.gif]
06-26-2008, 03:36 AM,
This horrific example shows how vulnerable running infantry are.
Left- I ordered my 6 infantry units (containing a total of 30 men) to 'Run' into that patch of trees because I wanted to cover a lot of ground quickly, I hoped the partially sunken road would shield my men somewhat.
Right- But two of Waleeds Germans squads were lurking in the shrubbery and cut my men down without mercy.
Result- I lost 25 men out of 30 (gulp), I should have used 'Advance' or 'Move to Contact' but gambled on the faster 'Run' and lost. You win some, you lose some, I'm kewl..

[Image: Run-1.gif]
06-26-2008, 03:38 AM,
Yes, movement to contact is a very useful command, especially if you can have an overwatch of crewserved or other platoons watching to engage if the enemy reveals themselves. It and Advance does tire the lads more than a simple move order.
06-26-2008, 04:06 AM,
Yes herroberst, you have to have an overwatch unit(s) of some sort so you have a chance when the enemy shows himself. You can't just plan on getting to a location, but you have to make sure that you get there in good order and in a timely way. If not, the few troops that make it are just pushed out and back where they came from too easily. If a location is worth moving to then it is worth killing and being killed for, otherwise you are going to waste resources for nothing. Within a QB it is tough to have enough units to go around, but an advance should have a moving unit, an overwatch unit, a flanking unit, and a reserve. This can be a single platoon too, one 1/2 squad moves and draws fire going pinned. An overwatch MG or squad returns fire and reduces the incomming fire on your unit. Another squad quickly gets into a flanking position and advances or fires on the enemy. The reserve squad is used or not depending on how the firefight goes.
06-29-2008, 05:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-29-2008, 05:57 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Lord Bane takes out a Firefly..
This pic is worth posting because it shows how in CM you can sometimes be knocked out by something which can see you, but you can't see it.
My Firefly was buttoned and therefore half-blind and couldn't see what was shooting at him. Whatever it was fired several times (I heard the boom from the circled area), the German icon there reads 'Assault gun' so I assume that's what fired..

[Image: LBd.gif]
06-29-2008, 06:18 PM,
TYPICAL FIRST-TURN PLOTS
I just thought I'd throw this in for noobs mostly, it's a typical (for me at least) opening move in Meeting Engagements..
Nothing fancy, infantry sprinting towards the flags, piats and light mortars running to tree clumps dotted around, tanks following behind. There are 2x Fireflies and a Sher 75 in the centre group,(Fireflies are capable of taking tough German Hetzers/ Tigs/ Panths head on), and I'm working a single Sher 75 down each flank to take them in the side..

[Image: start.gif]