• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Up to speed
11-26-2007, 06:53 AM,
RE: Up to speed
PoorOldSpike Wrote:'Hunt' means tanks will only stop and return fire if they see a tank or AT-gun (or PIAT/ Baz/ Schreck) shooting at them.

Also, a tank with hunt orders will resume its move if the enemy tank or gun that caused it to stop gets destroyed. A unit on contact orders has its remaining move canceled once an enemy unit has been spotted.
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2007, 09:34 AM,
I keep meaning to add this bit, then forgetting which thread it goes under:

Stopping on Move to contact orders applies to threats within the moving unit's covered arc, or to getting shot up.

For example, if you move a unit on move to contact and no covered arc, it will stop the instant it sees an enemy. Very useful for forward scouts in the initial stages of the battle...you add a "hide" order on the end of move to contact and they can often save their own hides.

Later on it can be a real pain stopping every time you see an enemy in the distance when you're really worried about close range threats in woods. Shift to a, say, 80 metre covered arc, and your troops will ignore the sight of an enemy outside the arc.

Without testing, my vague recollection is that your troops will still halt if those distant enemy open fire on them, but they won't halt simply because they saw someone.
11-26-2007, 11:53 AM,
Here's one for you.

The Reds have the Human Wave attack - i've used it on a very few occasions to good effect. Then there is the Assault command, which got me shot to shreds once or twice during a two player.

The manual says on page 75-6

Quote:
Advance - tactical move when advancing under fire in view of the enemy. This assumes dashing from cover to cover, using covering and suppressive fire and movement by bounds.

Assault - similar to Advance, but especially useful for covering those last 10 or 20 meters into an enemy position. Increases morale slightly while allowing units to return suppressive fire, but too tiring to be used over longer stretches.

Human wave is how communists storm a position - get to zero range among the defenders, and see who's left a minute later.

Is Assault the way the Germs take a position? Or are germ infantry tactics modeled with the idea that they preferred not to close with the asiatic enemy but instead to blast them out of a position from long range where their weapons are superior, and then occupy it?

Is it a useless command? Is it more effective than advance? It seems that speed is slower in an Assault, therefore exposure time is greater. Is firepower increased?
11-26-2007, 01:44 PM,
Have always found assault completely useless. Suggest people are better served to clear the position with fire, then move in to mop up broken defenders.