• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Up to speed
03-30-2007, 10:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-30-2007, 12:04 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Up to speed
[Image: speeds.jpg]

[Image: CM-movingA.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2007, 10:13 AM,
RE: Up to speed
Whats the difference between contact and hunt... are they not the same thing??
03-30-2007, 12:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-13-2007, 01:37 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
'Contact' means tanks will stop if they or nearby pals get shot at, which means a single little shot ringing out (say from a harmless AT-rifle) can make a whole panzer division jam its brakes on and waste time trying to spot it and return fire.
In fact I can't remember the last time I used Contact for tanks... I don't think I ever have..
'Hunt' means tanks will only stop and return fire if they see a tank or AT-gun (or PIAT/ Baz/ Schreck) shooting at them. So Hunt is the only way to go if you want to keep rolling forward without stopping for every little thing.(Note - don't be surprised if a tank on Hunt keeps rolling and firing at a piat/baz/shk, it simply means he hasn't positively I.D'd it as one yet and still thinks it's just ordinary inf)
04-09-2007, 11:53 PM,
This turns out to be the most informative tactics post I have ever read.

I had allways thought advance was faster then move. I mean the pixel truppens legs move faster and everything. That I didnt know this is flabergasting to me.
04-10-2007, 12:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2007, 09:47 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Yes, infantry on 'Advance' remind me of a mouse on a treadmill, their legs flailing away without making much progress.. BUT the great advantage of 'Advance' is that they'll ignore a lot of incoming fire and just keep on er...advancing for a turn or two before tiring quickly :)
It reminds me of what Guy Sajer says in his book 'The Forgotten Soldier', about how the instinctive way of moving under fire is to run with the top half of your body bent forwards, its a bit uncomfortable and tiring but makes you harder to hit.
PS -The pixel guys in CM don't bend but I suppose its abstracted..

[Image: inf-stal.jpg]
09-10-2007, 09:43 AM,
Advance is slower because it represents one half of the squad dashing forward while the second half is on overwatch....so it's half of the speed it would otherwise be, if you see my meaning.

BTW move to contact is also an eventually "tiring" order, although not as fast as run or advance. After several turns of move to contact, your troops will switch to "tiring", several turns later than that to "tired".

The reverse speed for tanks is surprising....faster than move forward.
09-12-2007, 02:14 PM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:'Hunt' means tanks will only stop and return fire if they see whose shooting at them. So Hunt is the only way to go if you want to keep rolling forward without stopping for every little thing.
It's my experience that a tank on hunt will only stop for enemy armour and guns...it doesnt stop just because it sees an infantry squad shooting at the commander.
09-12-2007, 11:11 PM,
McIvan Wrote:[It's my experience that a tank on hunt will only stop for enemy armour and guns...

Right, I've just gone back and edited that clarification into my earlier post
09-15-2007, 12:58 AM,
Just a note on "advance " , conscripts units are not allowed to advance and greens must be under command to use that order .
11-26-2007, 06:07 AM,
[Image: ski1.jpg]

[Image: ski.png]