• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Fighting tight
07-25-2007, 03:32 PM,
RE: ��Fighting tight
PoorOldSpike Wrote:
McIvan Wrote:Exactly SPike, but it is the weakness of packs....a pack doesn't form a line and is vulnerable to outflanking as it turns to deal with one threat or another.

If you let your packs get outflanked by enemy tanks that's your problem mate..
I can't remember the last time i let anybody outflank a pack of mine.
In fact there's too much talk in the CM community about 'flanking' manoeuvres, maybe other players just sit fretting and let the other guy outflank them..
We holy men don't do 'sit fretting and let the other guy outflank them'..

What do you call what I just did to your tanks with my infantry M8???

If that wasn't a flanking manuevre, I don't know what is.

Cheers!

Leto
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2007, 11:24 PM,
RE:����Fighting tight
[hirr Wrote:Leto]
What do you call what I just did to your tanks with my infantry M8???
If that wasn't a flanking manuevre, I don't know what is.

That was just normal combat mate, a few infantry sneaking through woods isn't exactly a 'flanking manoeuvre', I did exactly the same thing in the game to your Tiger and knocked it off with a grenade remember, but clean forgot to mention it in my AAR.. ;)
We were talking about flanking by tank groups to catch the enemy in the crossfire.. :)
07-26-2007, 05:27 AM,
RE: Fighting tight
Not just flanking tank groups but a AT-gun ambus can harvest on a tank pack too. It takes nerve to keep ATGs quiet while the tanks rush past but it's rewarding open fire at both sides when they enter the killing ground. If ATGs can do it, why not Tank Hunters or infantry. IMO, it's not about moving at the attackers flanks but letting him to move in the trap. A nice thing with mobile AT assets is you can move the trap.

10-23-2007, 12:21 AM,
I agree with the pack idea for the most part - with maybe one or two rogues to pop up and surprise from a different angle.

The one time I'd say avoid tight packs is in games with air support allowed. I once had six vet T-34s all packed together neatly in town waiting for my opponent's tanks to straggle into view when along came his stuka and with one bomb took out 4 of 6 tanks, gun damaged another, and killed the commander of the last one. Oh the humanity!
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-23-2007, 02:14 AM,
Whats going on with this thread - shows up as having new posts then its just the same old POSts?????????
10-23-2007, 03:19 AM,
McIvan Wrote:Doesn't prove anything using Tigers if the opponent can't scratch them, Mick.

Hunting packs like you're using are useful, no doubt about it, even if completely unhistorical (because what you're doing (as do we all) is exploiting a game limitation that lets tanks shoot THROUGH each other), but it has its limitations too. Don't think we're saying never use packs; just that they're not always the way to go, especially in games other than your tank heavy speciality.

This thread is going covert. Attention Moderators!

Cheers!

Leto
10-23-2007, 10:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2008, 01:48 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
First, only tanks can punch-
[Image: tyson.jpg]

Secondly, I've always used hunting packs and I always will -
[Image: lion-pack.jpg]

Thirdly, I'm a triple-ladder leader and you bellyachers are not..:)
[Image: bouncerA.png]
10-23-2007, 10:13 PM,
You could have hit me with a green clicky,for fixing it.Lol. :smoke:
Send this user an email
10-23-2007, 11:19 PM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:Thirdly, I'm Holy and you're not -

Hey now - when you start making Jesus a joke prop - this is where I leave the thread...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-23-2007, 11:44 PM,
I think we can do without the Jesus comics as well, Mick.

Religious Icons, Sex and Politics should be left to the Yahoo groups, not our wargaming forums.

Thanks
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard