• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How to use AT guns on the offense?
03-14-2007, 01:45 PM,
RE: How to use AT guns on the offense?
And now that AT guns exert no ZOC, they can no longer be used to pin down entire disrupted battalions in a death grip.

An important point is to note the HA range; at 2 hexes they do not have to move adjacent to the hard target and are effective at bunker busting, etc.

OTOH in a close match each gun lost is worth ~ 1 point... so pick your poison.

Marquo
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2007, 06:13 PM,
03-15-2007, 01:26 AM,
Are you envisioning pushing ATGs a kilometer by hand, then?
03-15-2007, 02:00 AM,
Send this user an email
03-15-2007, 03:36 AM,
Liebchen Wrote:Are you envisioning pushing ATGs a kilometer by hand, then?

No, I'm thinking prime movers, horses, trucks, tractors, halftracks, anything a AT-unit would have to make tactical movements. Pulling by hand only the last distance into firing positions. Heavy AT-guns would be a different story, like 88:s requiring more time to setup.
03-15-2007, 05:19 AM,
RE:��How to use AT guns on the offense?

Yes i agree it is maybe not a very historical practise, but one i would be prepared to live with as at the moment the advantages of AT guns (with a one hex range) are not worth the VP points you lose when they are in T mode, the new rule that puts them in T mode after losing a assault has improved things a little, but the last two times i have seen this the AT guns still were all destroyed by air/arty attack, if you want to play the numbers in a tight game leave your AT guns digging trenches IMO.
Having said that any AT gun with a 2/3 hex range does make a good bunker/tank buster if handled very carefully. :)
03-15-2007, 08:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2007, 08:52 AM by Tanky.)

Since when has every kilometre been a flat bowling green? How about them being driven to dead ground and then man handled into position? Or what about being manhandled into position at night?

If needed I'm sure troops would have pushed them a kilometre - at the moment the drivers must be parking their trucks within a hundred yards and full view of the enemy.
03-15-2007, 09:53 AM,
03-15-2007, 10:20 AM,
A random thought....I notice that mortars have the 1hex movement capability we want for light antitank guns. How about altering the units to be mortars, with 1 hex range, and proper attack factors? That would simulate things pretty well, although would miss out on the double disrupting effect of AT vs armor.

Fury
03-15-2007, 10:28 AM,
I usually stumble them up to the enemy and then get them shot to pieces. My hope is that my opponent will be laughing so hard at my feeble attempts at an offensive that he'll be too distracted to move properly thereafter.