• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How to use AT guns on the offense?
03-13-2007, 08:26 PM,
How to use AT guns on the offense?
I'm curious to know what other players consider the best tactic for employing AT guns on the offensive. Is there a prefered method of how to move these guns into the front line while minimizing casualties? Considering their vulnerability while in Travel mode, would one be better off moving them into contact with the enemy while stacked with infantry, or to move the infantry up first, entrench, and then move up the AT guns? Any other useful methods, tips or tricks would be appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2007, 09:27 PM,
RE: How to use AT guns on the offense?
This is a tricky manouver but you can get your AT in position in front of a static enemy line. Generally I will move up some infantry. Fire on the defenders to try to use up their defensive fire and then move the AT in, remembering to select reserve movement to ensure it can switch to deployed mode in the same turn.

If you can't use up all the enemies defensive fire you will either have to accept the possibility of high losses from defensive fire, when you move the AT adjacent in travel mode, or save the AT for another day.

03-13-2007, 11:20 PM,
1. I place AT guns just behind and adjacent to my attacking forces. They can be used to maintain a supply line in case an enemy counter-attack attempts to isolate the attacking units. If an enemy counter-attack is successful and brings enemy units adjacent, the AT guns can get a few shots off.
2. AT guns are also useful for prying units out of bunkers, so you can use your armoured forces elsewhere.
3. Careful use of line of sight can help you get AT guns close. For example, use other units to block los.
03-14-2007, 05:54 AM,
Some players might consider moving other units into the hex to draw def fire before moving the AT gun "gamey", but any unit in T mode is so vulnerable that this maybe the only way.

It is a good idea to entrench, but remember until the unit deploys it gets no benefit from any trench you might prepare for it and as FLG says remember to save a third of the MP's to deploy out of T mode. :)
03-14-2007, 06:37 AM,
I generally use ATs to consolidate and or flank protection. I concentrate them along roads or obvious approaches where the enemy is likely to counter-attack, and given a light infantry detachment, generally can stall a local counter-attack until help arrives quite nicely.
03-14-2007, 07:43 AM,
Foul. Wrote:Some players might consider moving other units into the hex to draw def fire before moving the AT gun "gamey", but any unit in T mode is so vulnerable that this maybe the only way.

Interesting, I always thought of it as providing supressing fire or launching a diversionary attack to allow the AT unit to get into position and deploy. What does anyone else think? Is this generally considered gamey, I hadn't thought about it like this before.
03-14-2007, 08:10 AM,
Over the years there has been many threads on what is/is not gamey, there is no clear concensus on this subject, some players feel that anything not against the rules is OK, others that we should play in the "spirit" of the game and not take advantage of all the games creases.
03-14-2007, 10:41 AM,
RE:�� How to use AT guns on the offense?
FLG Wrote:Interesting, I always thought of it as providing supressing fire or launching a diversionary attack to allow the AT unit to get into position and deploy. What does anyone else think? Is this generally considered gamey, I hadn't thought about it like this before.

FLG- That's my thinking. It's very difficult to bring up AT units against the AI, against a human opponent it's extremely risky. I usually count on losing at least 25% of my guns. However, the more I play PzC the more I am coming to the conclusion that the risk in worth it. On the attack, AT guns are very useful for softening up/disrupting enemy hard targets before attacking with my own tanks & infantry. Granted, it isn't easy & not always possible to do this. You almost have to have a road to move the AT units up & still get them out of travel mode. I don't know how others think, but it's rather unsettling to me to see my opponent move up AT units in the attack.

So, I don't think it gamey at all to use other units as "cover" for moving up AT units. To me, it's all part of setting up the attack.
03-14-2007, 11:04 AM,
I agree with the above. Not gamey. If attackers were moving guns into position, they would unlimber in cover and move them up manually I'm guessing. Not driving up in trucks in clear view and fire of the entrenched enemy as fire against T mode represents. 88's on the other hand...:whis:
03-14-2007, 12:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-14-2007, 12:05 PM by Dog Soldier.)
Do not forget another use for AT guns. They make a great rear area guard in a dynamic situation where the front is all broken. Station them with infantry recovering fatigue around your artillery in situations where there is no front line. They can spot infiltrators for the artillery and keep light armor away from your big guns.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp