• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

2 hex bridge destruction
03-07-2007, 07:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2007, 07:39 PM by von Waldenburg.)
RE: 2 hex bridge destruction
Let me tell you that the designers have demonstrated widely their ability to know where to put their best effort on during 16 magnificent titles already. For me it would have been really dificult to understand many campaigns from a historic point of view without these games.

Regarding to the units lost while crossing if you ask me before the rule was set up first probably I would have expected it to work like when you drop some airborne reinforcements that they have a percentage lost. But a change in a program that may look easy can easily complicate, specially as there is 16 diferent titles to update and test every time with every change. So if it wasnt thought of when the rule was designed I probably understand why it isnt being moved now. For me the real conclusion of all this is that I have to use HQs for that task to mitigate it :cool: Maybe that's why the HQ I lost crossing one of those bridges in a game I sent to Glenn hasnt returned in 2-3 days at least. That would be worrying. An HQ black hole.
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2007, 10:45 PM,
RE: ����2 hex bridge destruction
Glenn Saunders Wrote:
Squigbaby Wrote:Firstly, apologies for the long post, but I don't understand why you are being sooo defensive and wish to as far as I am able set the matter straight.

You are right - I am sorry for being defensive - but I don't think it is going to change either. It works as designed.

Glenn
@Glenn:)

No problem as to both points.

If anything you have, by your honest response, gone up even higher in my estimation (and yes I do have a high regard for you anyway and for all you have done for the series and the community). cheers

Squigbaby:)
03-07-2007, 10:48 PM,
@ von Waldenburg:)

You may have hit on the solution with the HQ method, not that I expect to face hex bridges wired for demolition outside of a few occasions anyway.

Please keep me posted as to whether the HQ respawns, since if it does - you have found a really effective workaround - well done!:)
03-08-2007, 05:20 AM,
The example was given in S42. I think another approach would be to use the Russian penal companies for the hazardous duty of crossing a wired full water hex bridge. The command decision is yours if the advance is too rapid for these expendable units to keep up. In that case, before you order the cavalry regiment across print up 1,000 letter starting with....

Dear Mr and Mrs Ivanov,
I regret to inform you....

Just in case.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
03-09-2007, 07:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-09-2007, 07:37 PM by von Waldenburg.)
Probably this is only important in S'42. I dont remember any other title in the series where this is an issue. Maybe in MG'44 if the Nimegen bridges are wired...
03-10-2007, 12:14 PM,
Stalingrad has several bridges over the Don that are wired so what out for those. Probably not a good idea to use companies of T-34's either.

I agree that tripping wired bridges was the job for the penal battalions. Those that were sent to these units were expected to fight for three months and if they were wounded or killed their crimes were "atoned with their blood."
03-10-2007, 05:34 PM,
von Nev Wrote:Those that were sent to these units were expected to fight for three months and if they were wounded or killed their crimes were "atoned with their blood."

This was the theory, though many who went were looked or just forgotten about and had to spend more time there. It was not very common to return from a penal battalion.
03-11-2007, 07:58 AM,
FLG is probably correct. In R42, the game demonstrated how these units could be used.
Moving through minefields.
Spotting for the artillery.
Drawing fire.."the stalking horse tactic."

The fire power of the German units can see these penal companies easily decimated. And I would guess many of the wounded were not evacuated from the battle field but instead bleed or froze to death.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp