• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

2 hex bridge destruction
02-22-2007, 06:10 AM,
2 hex bridge destruction
Just had one of these go down in Stalingrad and my nice cav reg went with it which seems a bit rough I would accept some % loss but not the whole thing they would in real life scout it and then cross or not if it blew. What do others think and could a unit be made to displace back a hex with losses?

Mike
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2007, 07:24 AM,
RE: 2 hex bridge destruction
Currently I am playing German in S42. My Russian opponent sends Penal units across wired bridges or severly shot up T60 units as the sacrifical lambs. I don't have a problem with the rule as is because if a bridge is wired you know the risk. However I can see your point. I guess a line has to be drawn somewhere. My own personal beef is that my 88's that I site in bunker hexes don't get any benefit from the bunker yet my Russian friend can shoot them with his 76mm guns at 2 hexes range because my 88's become armoured targets because they are in a bunker hex, its like a double whamy.
02-22-2007, 08:32 AM,
Maybe the title of the post is not in acordance with its content.

I agree you shouldnt lose the whole batallion when crossing such bridges (I'd say 2-3% loss could do it). You can use HQs for now so you dont lose a whole unit since HQs normally come back.

The 88s in hard forts in S42, specially in PILLBOXES, get a nice def benefit and also can fire at oposing hard forts and if the russian 76mm AT guns aren't in hard forts you can lay some other fire on them which will be effective. So I'd say it's not that easy to knock 88 mms if the owner knows how to defend them, at least you should be able to exchange loses.
02-22-2007, 10:39 AM,
Maybe my 88's are different to yours. In non bunker hexes they have a defense strength of 14. When I stick them in a bunker that number does not increase by +5 as infantry do. Do yours? That is my 88's remain at 14. I believe armour receives no benifit from bunkers as well, no problem with that. But I think an emplaced gun should get some benefit with an increase in defence strength like infantry does.

Not sure if the guns get any -30% fire protection either from the bunker. Do you know if they do? I suspect they don't.

Another curiosity, totally unrelated is the 2 hex range for the Rumanian MkIV's in the Rumanian armoured div. I note nearly all my German MkIV's only have a 1 hex range. Any ideas why this is the case? The tank units are the same type, that is F's or H's, not the older short barreled version.
02-22-2007, 12:19 PM,
Send this user an email
02-22-2007, 01:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2007, 01:12 PM by von Waldenburg.)
RE:��2 hex bridge destruction
Krak Wrote:Maybe my 88's are different to yours. In non bunker hexes they have a defense strength of 14. When I stick them in a bunker that number does not increase by +5 as infantry do. Do yours? That is my 88's remain at 14. I believe armour receives no benifit from bunkers as well, no problem with that. But I think an emplaced gun should get some benefit with an increase in defence strength like infantry does.

I just opened a scn of uranus ss vs ai me playing as german, that I have been playing months ago, my 88s in Stalingrad city BUNKER(-30%/+5) have 17 and 19 defense so the get the +5 and are hard targets (2 88 units I have in a hex in front of the Tennis racket), any other thing would be a complete surprise let me tell you as all the games work this way. You are correct that armour dont get defensive benefit from hard forts, in a sense they already are a hard mobile target. But AT guns normally get all benefits of these forts. Also artillery. Only some kinds of mortars dont.
02-22-2007, 03:24 PM,
Arh...I think my 88's are in hexes that I vacated to change some units around, thus they have reduced to only +2 and -15%. That explains the difference. I have since learnt not to leave a bunker before moving the new unit in, even if you do it in the same turn. In this game I shuffled a division along a few hexes during a night turn and during the process all my bunkers went from +5 -30% to +2 -15%, just happens to be where I stationed my 88's. And also where my opponent is now attacking! :hissy:
02-22-2007, 06:26 PM,
02-23-2007, 08:15 AM,
Krak Wrote:Arh...I think my 88's are in hexes that I vacated to change some units around, thus they have reduced to only +2 and -15%. That explains the difference. I have since learnt not to leave a bunker before moving the new unit in, even if you do it in the same turn. In this game I shuffled a division along a few hexes during a night turn and during the process all my bunkers went from +5 -30% to +2 -15%, just happens to be where I stationed my 88's. And also where my opponent is now attacking! :hissy:

yeah shilly, specially considering that BUNKERS in S'42 are not that strong comparing to other PzC games. cheers
02-23-2007, 01:47 PM,
Send this user an email