• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

to al those who has been reloading game over and over again from turn to turn
02-17-2007, 04:28 AM,
RE:��to al those who has been reloading game over and over again from turn to turn
m5000 Wrote:it's just come to my mind... i used to delete old files after having played and sent the turn, including auto.sal

since i got information that there were some reload messages i've stoppped doing that, do you think the deleting could have caused the messages?
No that's shouldn't have made a difference. <scratches head> I'm not sure what's going on.
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2007, 03:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-17-2007, 04:18 PM by El cid (formely el capitan).)
RE: to al those who has been reloading game over and over again from turn to turn
What happens when you save a game and keep playing and later save again? Do you get a cheating message if you reload the previous save?

I often open the "Do Not SEND YOUR Oponent...sav" file, to think about my strategy for next turn. When you close this files it ask you to save it. But if I want to see how the turn finished, I go back to the "Do not..sav" would this create a cheating error?

On the other hand, I would also like to be able to see the replay of your oponent turn several times, without having to reopen the .pbl file, which ofcourse would give a cheating message.

But I would not support a silent war against people from who you get constant reload message, without first inquiring them about it. It would create more paranoia.

I played someone that was his first game of TOAW, and on the first couple of turns I got about 9 reload message. I told him that it was ok for him to experiment, so he will get to learn what works fine. To my surprise, after that I was getting only one reload message at most.
02-17-2007, 11:27 PM,
RE: to al those who has been reloading game over and over again from turn to turn
To respond to El cid, yes, you do get a reload message if you reload a prior save, ie, one older than the last save.

I don't know about the "do not...SAV" file, I haven't used it. I assume it would cause a reload message; I think the purpose was to have a .sav file, in case for some reason you have to go back to a previous move, and restart (maybe there was a violation of an honor rule, etc); you can't get into a .pbl file, without your opponent's password, so the.sav allows the opponents to agree to go back to an earlier move.
02-17-2007, 11:33 PM,
Ralph if you're there it just struck me that as the program presumably runs checks whenever a PBEM turn is loaded is it not possible for it to flag the player loading the turn rather than snidely informing his opponent?
i.e rather than "your opponent may well be cheating scum" which is doing nothing for community relations the player loading the turn gets a message along the lines of "Warning! Loading this SAL file will generate a cheat warning for your opponent, are you sure you dont have a more recent save?" It could possibly maybe even give the player a pointer as to which sal file its expecting?
The above would also give the active player a chance to explain the reload message in the mail with the turn,
i.e "sorry for reload message power surge at work or whatever"

Just an idea
02-18-2007, 01:33 AM,
RE:��to al those who has been reloading game over and over again from turn to turn
02-18-2007, 01:39 AM,
fluidwill Wrote:Ralph if you're there it just struck me that as the program presumably runs checks whenever a PBEM turn is loaded is it not possible for it to flag the player loading the turn rather than snidely informing his opponent?
i.e rather than "your opponent may well be cheating scum" which is doing nothing for community relations the player loading the turn gets a message along the lines of "Warning! Loading this SAL file will generate a cheat warning for your opponent, are you sure you dont have a more recent save?" It could possibly maybe even give the player a pointer as to which sal file its expecting?
The above would also give the active player a chance to explain the reload message in the mail with the turn,
i.e "sorry for reload message power surge at work or whatever"

Just an idea
If I can't figure it out, I may have to go that route. The reason that I didn't was because it would make it easier to figure out what could trigger the cheat message and easier to figure out ways to cheat without triggering the cheat message.

The only 100% way to make sure that nobody cheats is to require an internet connection before loading or saving any turn.

Ralph
02-18-2007, 04:09 AM,
ralphtrickey Wrote:The only 100% way to make sure that nobody cheats is to require an internet connection before loading or saving any turn.
I still think this- rather than the accusations, arguing, bickering, reminders, patching that alternatives seem to throw up- is the best/most efficient/most elegant/long-term way to sort this along the lines of http://www.xtreme-gamer.com/forums/showt...connection and whatever ++ since.

Maybe modify and monitor the arena- then the players, games and weapons will perhaps fall in line. 0.02.