• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Here is a Stalingrad 42 question
01-16-2007, 01:19 PM,
RE: Here is a Stalingrad 42 question
My opponent tells me that he has the same problem in his other campaign as the Russians, with the 4th mech being fixed in place. Is this a post patch bug. I am surprised that it has not popped up before. Is anyone out there playing Stalingrad?
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2007, 02:01 PM,
It isn't a bug as such. It is a scenario design issue, to be fixed upon the next update Glenn said, that would impact one in eight or one in sixteen games, so not everybody would see it. You were one of the unlucky ones, and your opponent in his game. On the other hand, in a campaign game I am in it didn't happen, all luck.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-16-2007, 03:57 PM,
RE:��Here is a Stalingrad 42 question
Send this user an email
02-28-2007, 03:45 PM,
Reporting back to everyone. After six weeks of gaming, my opponent and I have reached the 16:00 turn on the 23rd. On the previous evening, I assigned the 4th mech corps to one of the Don Front armies and the fixed in place 4th mech did release when all of the rest of the Don Front units were released at 16:00. Thanks for the tip. Now at 24:00 I will just reattach the 4th mech to either the 51st or 57th army-depending on the need.

I am indeed a very happy camper now that I have a tough and "fresh mech corps to throw into the fray.

However, this should be corrected come the next patch. My opponent has obeyed Hitler's orders and decided to remain in Stalingrad but if he had choosen to break out to the south, I would have been in serious trouble with the 4th mech frozen in place.
03-07-2008, 07:59 AM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:Yes - not to make this sound like a cop out - but the issue was done quite intentionally - it was the possible unanticipated result that bit us in some games.

We were really trying to similate an actual event and do it with some variation so the Russian play couldn't counter the design idea.

Glenn

Glenn,
I'm curious. What actual event were you trying to simulate?
Why does it only happen 1:8 or 1:16 times?

My opponent just got nailed with this I think; he isn't happy to be sure.

Thanks,
Bob
03-07-2008, 08:17 AM,
It has been over a year - I thought it was getting fixed but maybe not? - so I am not positive right now, but if I recall the Soviet corps had a fixed order at less than 100%, then a release at 100%. If the corps failed to fix right away, and fixed after the release was passed, it would never release. Hence the 1 in 8 or 16 chance of it occurring.

See the prior page for a workaround, if you haven't yet, Bob.

Rick
03-07-2008, 08:42 AM,
Hi Rick
I am Rev's opponent and I am not happy one little bit!

This is a very tight game as Rev a v v good german player. To deprive Russia of the 4th Mech for a day or more is just wrecking the game.

I have suggested Bob (Rev) redo his last turn and hopefully 4th Mech won't get fixed this time around. Hopefully that will work. If it does work is this an ongoing problem? That is when will the scenario stop the chance that 4th Mech gets fixed?

On another tack this is the second time we have had to start this game. The first game got ruined because the 24th and 66th Armies are fixed in place even if the Germans attack them. They should all be on formation release but they are not. In the first game we tried Bob attacked into the 24th and 66th Armies. To my horror after a few turns I realized they were not going to release as they were not tagged 'T' like most of the German fixed units. Consequently the Russian armies to the North of Stalingrad are just sitting ducks.

Anyway after coming to an agreement to start again with some house rules everything was going fine. Now this problem with 4th Mech. I did not want to air the problem re 24th and 66th being fixed here as I have another game of this scenario going as Russian as well an did not wish to highlight the problem. But the point where he can take advantage of it is gone now, I hope!

My concern is that 4th Mech might get fixed in that game as well. I think I am up to around 10am on the 21st in that one. Is it safe from this bug? :hissy:

Cheers
Michael
03-07-2008, 08:52 AM,
Replaying the turn will probably not help in this case, if the timing is the way it sounds. It sounds like you are already past the turn for the release, so as soon as the Mech Corps fixes, it will stay fixed forever, if this is correct. If so, then the reassignment to an alternate formation with a release coming up is the only option - outside of rolling back the turn to before the release comes up to get the corps to fix before that point. Better than all the way back to the start, maybe not better than just waiting for the chance to release through another formation.

Sorry. In the other game, you are safe from the design problem if you check the releases and there is no fix or release order still showing for the Mech Corps.

Rick
03-07-2008, 09:11 AM,
Rick
Ok this is what happened.

2000 20th 4th Mech did not fix
0000 21st 4th Mech Fixed
0400 21st 4th Mech released
0600 21st 4th Mech Fixed

If we could manage to find a backup at what point would we need to resume and what needs to happen or not happen.

Either way this is not good and and I am close to pronouncing this scenario as broken. Bob and I have invested a lot of time in it now and I am not happy. I hope we can fix it. But at this point in time its ruined.
03-07-2008, 09:33 AM,
Do releases happen before fixes in the same turn? I think I saw this in my other game at 0400, a report like:
4th Mech released
4th Mech fixed.

Then at 0600 4th Mech was released again with the 51st Army.

In that case if 4th mech gets fixed in the 0400 turn then we may only need to go back and redo it? HELP!!!!!!!